© Mainisternagalliaghduff Abbey
Manisternagalliaghduff Abbey, in the parish of Shanagolden-Robertstown-Foynes,
is more commonly known as Mainstir na gCailleach Duff. This can
be translated as the Monastery of the Black (Veiled) Nuns. The ruins are
situated about two miles east of Shanagolden. Extensive ruins remain of
this monastery, which was reputedly founded in the first half of the thirteenth
century. According to Sean Spellissy, the Earl of Desmond complained at
one stage that the nuns were leading "loose and dissolute lives".
Although the then Pope, Pope Martin V ordered the suppression of the monastery
in 1432, the monastery continued until the mid-sixteenth century when
it finally closed. Westropp tells us that a new parish was formed around
it in 1586.