© Ruins at Robertstown
The first church in Robertstown was near Churchfield. Behind
the present day church in Robertstown is the ruin of the previous Robertstown
church and graveyard. The grounds are tidy and well kept and the church
ruins have been partially rebuilt. Westropp states that Robert de Guer
probably founded the church in the early part of the thirteenth century.
Ardineer is a townland in Robertstown, and although there is no trace
of a church in the present townland, it is believed that the original
Robertstown church may have been situated here.
© Tower at Shanagolden
The church ruin in Shanagolden was converted into a place
of Protestant worship and a tower was built on the site when the conversion
took place. As there is a mention of a "lofty square tower built
in 1815" in the Postal Directory of Munster, it can be assumed that
this is one and the same tower.
© Kilmoylan Church
About a mile from Shanagolden are the ruins of another church.
Kilmoylan church is at the eastern end of the parish and Westropp measured
the church as 35 feet by 18 feet. The west gable fell in the Night of
the Big Wind in 1839.
© Ruins in Mount Pleasant Graveyard and Altar in Mount Pleasant Graveyard
There is also a church ruin in Mount Pleasant graveyard.
Near the church ruin is an altar. Both the church ruin and the altar are
in good condition.
© Knockpatrick Church
Knockpatrick church is situated 572 feet above sea level and gives a
stunning view of the Shannon Estuary and the surrounding countryside.
According to legend, St Patrick consecrated the church at Knockpatrick
when he visited the area in 448 AD. He also blessed all that lay west
of him, as he never ventured as far as Kerry. Westropp wrote that the
Danes burned Knockpatrick in 1114.
To the east of the church there are six stones that are called 'Suíochán
Pádraig', St Patrick's Seat. According to Mainchín Seoighe,
the traditional religious practice at Knockpatrick involved reciting three
Rosaries: one around the wall of the burial grounds, one while moving
clockwise around St Patrick's Well and the third at Suíochán
© Suíochán Pádraig
Westropp also mentions churches at Aughinish and Ardaneer
but the sites of these churches are unknown today. There was also an old
church at Dysert or Morgans as it is now called. It is believed that this
church was located near Barrigone well. The name Morgans was derived from
the Irish Muingeadain, meaning a 'maritime spot'. The church is believed
to have been built in the 15th century. It is said to have been built
by two sisters, but neither their names nor their surnames are remembered.