There are presently three churches in use in the parish, located in
Raheen, Mungret and Crecora.
The church in Raheen was built in 1845, and is dedicated
to St Nessan. It was built by Fr Jeremiah Halpin, and completed by Fr
Michael Casey, who was also responsible for building Crecora's church
in 1864. Raheen church was extended and restored in 1992. A stone over
the church door is inscribed with the following:
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Et in Honorem Sancti Nessan
A plaque on the wall of the left extension to the church
St Nessan's church
Restored and Extended 1992
Most Rev. J. Newman Bishop
V. Rev. Joseph Dempsey PP
© Altar in Raheen church
There is a statue to the Sacred Heart located to the left of the altar,
inside the church. A statue to the Immaculate Conception is situated on
the right hand side of the church. The Stations of the Cross were donated
There are three plaques at the back of the church. The plaque nearest
to the main door is dedicated to Fr Patrick D'Arcy, the first president
of St Michael's Temperence Society. Fr D'Arcy was a former Parish Priest
of Loughmore, and he died on April 27th, 1850.
The centre plaque is dedicated to Jeremiah Halpin, Parish Priest, who
died on October 3rd, 1845. During Fr Halpin's time as Parish Priest, the
church was re-roofed, although the completion of this was interrupted
by the Famine. Fr M. Casey, Parish Priest erected the plaque, in November
1856. The roofing of the church was completed under Fr Casey's direction.
© Statues in Raheen church
The third plaque is in memory of Archdeacon Browne, Parish Priest, Mungret/Crecora,
who died January 30th, 1900, aged 75.
Buried in the grounds of the church is:
O'Carroll, PP, 4 years PP Mungret, 4 years PP Banogue
Died 29th April 1932, Age 67