© Ruin of the previous Crecora church and Ruin in old Crecora graveyard
Directly across the road from the present day church and
graveyard in Crecora is the ruin of the previous Crecora church. The
church dates from approximately 1847. Several hundred metres further
on, there is another church ruin, situated in Crecora old graveyard.
Westropp refers to Knocknagall church in Lemonfield. According
to him, this church was dedicated to St Brigid in 1410. The church was
in repair in 1657, and in Westropp's time about ten feet of the south
wall and 30 feet of the north wall remained. Lemonfield graveyard was
very overgrown. However, we came across a wall, which we believe may
have been part of Knocknagall church. This wall was approximately 6ft
high, and 15ft in length. There was a railing at one end of the wall.
Westropp also mentions a church in Derryknockane, which
was a parish in 1633. He states that this parish included Knocknagall
in 1657, and adjoined Crewmally, and so may be an alias for either parish.
No church site is known.
Westropp also mentions church sites called Killonaghan
(near the dry well of St Senan) and Killeenoghty, of which no trace
There are three ruined churches located in Mungret graveyard.
Website by Lúnasa