Diocese of Limerick Heritage Project Home Index Search Help

Introduction   Mungret-Crecora   Churches

View of Mungret College from Mungret graveyard
© View of Mungret College from Mungret graveyard

In the Catholic Directory of 1837, Mungret parish is referred to as Loghmore. In the same year the parish name was changed to Mungret. According to Lewis, the civil parish of Loghmore comprised of Crecora, Mungret, Knocknagall and part of Kilpeacon, with chapels in Crecora and Mungret.

The name Mungret is supposedly derived from the Irish Muine Gairid, meaning 'the Short Hill', or 'the Short Thicket or Grove', although according to 'Limerick, the Rich Land', this definition was a guess by John O'Donovan in 1840. Other Irish forms of the name are Imungram and Moungairid.

Crecora is derived from the Irish Craobh Comhartha, which means 'the sweet scented branch' or 'the tree of the sign'. According to local tradition, a whitethorn bush was growing 300 yards north east of the old church. Pilgrims used to hang signs or tokens from the branches. The old church took its name from this bush.

A diocesan college was opened in Mungret in 1878, and was later taken over by the Jesuits.

Extensive ruins of an early Christian monastery exist in Mungret graveyard. Mungret College overlooks these ruins. The monastery is said to have been founded by St Nessan, who was abbot of Mungret in the 6th century

The bell of Mungret was dug up at Loghmore near the abbey.

Heritage Project Home | Mungret-Crecora Home | Back to Top

Introduction         Churches
Website by Lúnasa Design