© Bruff Church
© Bruff Churchyard
The parish church in Bruff was built in 1828. It is dedicated
to St Peter and St Paul. Lewis described Bruff church as a handsome building
in early English style. The building was commenced by Andrew Ryan P.P.,
and completed by the RC Dean of Limerick, Patrick MacNamara, his successor
as PP of Bruff. Andrew Ryan was Parish Priest for 23 years, and is buried
in the church.
© Bruff Church Interior
The side altar on the right is dedicated to the Blessed
Virgin Mary, and was donated by William and Teresa Naughton in 1930. The
side altar on the left is dedicated to the Sacred Heart and was donated
by Patrick and Josephine Kirby in 1950. Other parishioners donated the
stained glass windows in the church.
© Side Altars in Bruff Church
Plaques in memory of those buried within the church are
to be found on the walls of the mortuary chapel attached to the church.
One of these plaques is dedicated to the memory of Margaret Redmond, who
died June 24th 1838, aged 11.
© Stained Glass Windows in Bruff Church
Buried within the church are:
Fr Timothy O'Meara, Died August 18th 1841
MacNamara, P.P., Died 21st August 1838, Aged 48
Ryan, P.P., Died December 19th 1830
O'Riordan, C.C., Bruff, Died December 1st 1876, Aged 35
Charles McNamara, Died February 19th 1926, Aged 87
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Canon David Houlihan, P.P. 1987-1991, Died May 3rd 1993
James Culhane, P.P. 1974-1987, Died April 6th 1991
John Lee, P.P. 1926-1932
Edmund Condon, P.P. 1958-1973, Died September 23rd 1973
Cregan P.P., Died 10th February 1892
Ryan C.C., Died October 29th 1881, Aged 42.