St Nicholas' Church was the Church of Ireland parish church in Adare until
1806. This church is located in St Nicholas' graveyard beside the Adare
golf club grounds, and to the north of the castle. The parish church of
St Nicholas of Myra was named in honour of a fourth century Archbishop
in Asia Minor who is regarded as the patron saint of children. Santa Claus
is a corruption of his name. It was built and then rebuilt between the
13th and 16th centuries.
© Chapel of ease in St Nicholas' graveyard
There is a second ruined church located in this graveyard.
This was a Chapel of Ease dating from the 15th century. According to Lenihan,
"An ancient chapel stands at a little distance from the castle
this chapel several members of the Quin family (family name of Dunraven
Earls) were buried." It also contained chaplains' quarters located
near its eastern end.
© Clonshire Church Ruin
The church ruin in Clonshire graveyard is small but largely
intact. The graveyard surrounding the ruin is still in use. Clonshire
takes its name from Cluain Siar, which means "the western
meadow". Clonshire church was sometimes called Teampaill na Cille,
which means "the church of the burial ground". Lewis mentioned
the 'shafts of two very ancient crosses' that were visible in the churchyard
in 1837, however, we did not see any sign of these crosses on our visit.