© Augustinian Friary, Adare
John, Earl of Kildare, founded the monastery in 1315. For nearly two
hundred years, the Friary carried out its quiet and religious existence
until it was suppressed in the mid-sixteenth century. By the end of the
century the Augustinians had moved to Limerick City.
This Friary was also known as the "Black Abbey" because the
Augustinian friars wore a black habit. The cloisters are in very good
condition. Part of the domestic buildings is now in use as a school.
© Baptismal font in the Augustinian Friary
The Augustinian Friary was restored for Church of Ireland
worship in 1807. A large monument within the Church is dedicated to John
Bury, who died on September 14th 1722, aged 56. Within the church there
are many monuments to the Dunraven family.
© Church in Augustinian Friary
The church consists of a nave, with a south side aisle, the chancel and
a lofty, square central tower. The tower and some of the domestic buildings
date from the fifteenth century.
In the north wall of the chancel there is an interesting "infirmary
squint", which enabled sick members of the community to glimpse the
high altar from their sick room. The cloisters were entered from the church
by a door in the tower, now blocked up. The semi-circular headed doorway
in the north wall of the chancel leads to a vestry, a recent addition.
© Stained Glass Window
in the Augustinian Friary
In 1814 part of the domestic buildings was roofed over and
converted into a school. In 1826 the Quin family mausoleum was erected
in the cloisters. It carries the Kildare and Desmond coats of arms alternately
displayed on several carved shields. Caroline, the dowager Countess of
Dunraven, who was responsible for installing most of the stained glass
in the windows, renovated the church in 1852.