© Ruins of Franciscan Friary
The Franciscan Friary ruins are located in the grounds of Adare Manor
Golf Club. The House of St Francis, of the order of the Minors of the
Stricter Observance was situated outside the walls of the town. Thomas,
Earl of Kildare, and his wife founded the Friary in Adare in 1464.
The friary is in very good condition, with the ruin largely intact. The
remains include a tower, nave and part of the choir of the church. The
cloisters on the northside are in excellent condition. The living quarters
are still visible and the cloisters are well preserved. Mass is held once
a year in the Friary on Easter morning.
It was also called the Poor Monastery because the Franciscans were an
order of mendicant friars. This meant that the friars were dependent on
people to give them alms. The friary was dedicated in 1464, and consecrated
in 1466. It was suppressed in 1539 but by 1573, the friars had returned
to the priory. They were expelled again in 1581 during the Desmond Rebellion,
although the monastery was re-established for a time in 1633.
A precious relic of this convent, in the shape of a silver chalice, is
still preserved in the parochial church of Kilbehenny, diocese of Emly.
The inscription, which is in Latin, informs us that Honora McCormochn,
a member of the 3rd Order of St Francis presented it to the convent of
Adare in 1630. Reymond de Burgh, Bishop of Emly was buried in the abbey