Diocese of Limerick Heritage Project Home Index Search Help

History   Loughill-Ballyhahill   Churches

Loughill Church | Ballyhahill Church | Church Ruins

Loughill Church

Loughill Church
© Loughill Church

There are two churches in the parish, one at Loughill, the other at Ballyhahill. The church in Loughill was built in 1819 and is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is not clear whether William MacEnery or Daniel O'Sullivan was the parish priest when the church was built. According to a plaque in the right porch, the church was blessed and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, assumed into Heaven, by Bishop Murphy DD, and James O'Byrne, PP, on February 12th 1961.

Shrine in the grounds of Loughill church
© Shrine in the grounds of
Loughill church

In the grounds of Loughill church, there is a shrine to Mary, which was erected to the memory of Fr James O'Byrne, PP, Loughill, and his sisters, by William and Mary Lucy O'Byrne.

Altar in Loughill Church
© Altar in Loughill Church

The altar rails in Loughill church were donated by exiles of the parish in New York. The altar was donated by the O'Shaughnessy family, Jointer, Loughill. The base of the altar was donated by exiles from the parish in the USA and England. Thomas Fitzgerald, Loughill House, donated the crucifix behind the altar. The confessional box was donated by McNamara, USA and Knocknaboula.

Buried in the church are:

  Bernard McMahon, PP Glin and Loughill, Died June 26th 1847
  Daniel McCoy, PP Glin and Loughill, Died October 21st 1855

Buried in the grounds of the church is:

  James Byrne, Parish Priest 1958-1967, Died November 25 1967

Heritage Project Home | Loughill-Ballyhahill Home | Back to Top

History         Churches
Website by Lúnasa Design