© Feenagh Church
The church in Feenagh is also dedicated to St Ita. A plaque
in the porch of the church describes the history of churches in Feenagh
since the 18th century. The church in Feenagh was originally a thatched
building from the post penal times. In the late 18th century it was rebuilt
and a slated roof was put on the building. It also acquired its 'T' shape
during this renovation.
In 1877, it was renovated again by Fr Patrick Lee PP, at which time the
walls were raised, a 'barn' roof was laid with stone parapets and Gothic
style windows were fitted. The plaque also gives the details of the formation
of the present day parish of Feenagh/Kilmeedy. The church was renovated
once again in 1976.
© Statues in Feenagh Church
Outside of the church on the left there is a statue to Mary,
erected during the Marian Year of 1988. On the right there is a plaque
to Mgr. Michael O'Riordan who was from Kilmurry in Feenagh. In 1905 he
became the Rector of the Irish College in Rome. Mgr. O'Riordan did much
for the cause of the Irish Martyrs, especially Oliver Plunkett. Mgr. O'Riordan
died on August 27th 1919. To commemorate the 70th anniversary of his death,
this plaque was erected in 1989.
The windows in the porch were donated by Pat Murphy and family of Tireeg,
John Irwin and family of Feenagh, and Margaret Murphy of Gurteen. On the
right of the main body of the church there is a plaque listing the donors
for the baptismal font. Near the altar, there is another plaque that lists
more donors of various articles to the church when it was renovated in
© Stained Glass Window in Feenagh Church
The stained glass windows over the altar depict (from left
to right) St Anthony, the Crucifixion and St David. David MacMahon of
Philadelphia erected these windows in July 1907 to the memory of Hanora
Irwin, her brother William and Michael McMahon.
To the left of the altar, outside the sanctuary, there is a statue of
the Virgin and Child that was donated by Mr. and Mrs. John Browne of Clogheen
in the Holy Year of 1950. Within the sanctuary, there is a statue to St
Joseph and to the right of the altar there is a statue of the Sacred Heart.
© Altar in Feenagh Church
According to the plaque to the far right of the altar, the
sanctuary tiling was erected by David and Mrs. O'Leary Hannigan of Kilbolane
Castle in 1907 to the memory of William O'Leary Hannigan, his wife Debora
and Miss Eily Mary O'Leary Hannigan. Nearer the altar there is a plaque
that states that David MacMahon and the people of the parish donated the
marble high altar.
Buried in the grounds of the church is:
Canon Jeremiah O'Gorman, Died January 23 1941, P.P. 1925 - 1941