© Friarstown Abbey
Friarstown Abbey is situated in a field through which the
boundary of the parishes of Donaghmore/Knockea
and Fedamore runs. The abbey is situated in the Knockea side of the parish.
Clochnamanach abbey was repaired in 1932 and extensive ruins of the abbey
remain. Clochnamanach is translated as Cloch na Manach, which
means the stone of the Monks.
The original foundation dates from 13th century and the Clan-Gibbons
family erected it for the Franciscan Third Order Regular. They were lay
brothers and arrived in Friarstown around 1450. However, there is no real
documentary proof as to how long the monks stayed in the abbey but it
is believed that the abbey was vacant by 1550.
© Mass at Friarstown Abbey
Mass was celebrated at the abbey by Bishop Donal Murray, with concelebrants
Fr Oliver Plunkett and Fr Michael Cussen, on May 17th 2000.