© Kilquane graveyard
Kilquane graveyard is located on the site of the ruin
of Kilquane church. This graveyard is well kept. Fr Coughlan informed
us that the parishioners hold a collection for the upkeep of the graveyard.
The oldest headstone that we found was erected by James Fitzgibbon,
in memory of his father W. Edm. Fitzgibbon, age 29, Feb 26th, 1764.
© Effin graveyard
Effin graveyard is situated a short distance from Effin
church. This graveyard is very well maintained. The oldest headstone
that we found in the graveyard is in memory of Mairen Fore, March 24th
1747, aged 55. This headstone is located beside the well-preserved ruins
in the centre of the graveyard. There was also a tomb in the graveyard
to the Sullivan family and the Russell family.
The parish priest of Effin, Edward Lee, native of Rathkeale,
who died in 1834, was buried in Glenogra graveyard, to the south-east
of the ruin, in a beautiful altar tomb.
According to Maurice Lenihan's History of Limerick, there
were several ancient tombstones with inscriptions in the Irish character.
However, there are few traces of these tombstones now.
Website by Lúnasa