© Lady's Well
Lady's well is located in the townland of Effin. It is about
3-4 miles from the public road and it is accessible through the roads
of the forest. The well is in a circular mound. Danaher wrote that the
well is within a ring fort and that the overflow of water from the well
was used as a water trough for cattle.
At the well there is a statue of Our Lady and there are also medals and
rosary beads left at the well. The well is well kept and people still
visit the well regularly. The water from the well is believed to cure
many ailments. There are no organised devotions there now, although it
is still regarded as a Holy Well.
Lady's Well and Toberacran ceased to be pilgrimage sites by 1840. Toberacran,
in the townland of Gortnacrank derived its name from Tober a Chrann,
the Well of the Tree.
St Bridget's well in Kilbreedy townland was no longer a pattern site
It was a small clear pool, roughly lined with stones. One large stone
was set on edge beside the well. It was formerly very popular especially
for the cure of sore eyes.
Danahar mentions another well in the parish, Toberreendoney. However,
the location of this well is no longer known.
Danaher refers to two other wells in the parish namely Tobernea and Toberbansha
but did not believe that they were Holy Wells.