© Cratloe Church
Cratloe Church is one of three remaining barn churches in
the country. The church is dedicated to St John. Near the door of the
church in the main aisle in Cratloe Church there is an inscription "VIMFC
1791" which commemorates the date of the building of the church.
This church was originally built in 1791 by Fr James Ward P.P.
© St John's Church Altar
Fr Ward was responsible for building the chancel and nave
of the church. In 1806 further work was carried on the church when Fr
Jeremiah Cronin built the transepts of the church. In the right transept
of the church there is a medieval doorway. The doorway is believed to
come from either Craughaun Church or Kilfintinan Church.
The church was re-roofed in the 1950s and the original slates were put
back on the roof. Fr Micheál Liston carried out recently more work
on the church in 1990.
© Bridal Door in Cratloe Church
St John's Church is a very popular church for weddings.
In fact, the door in the left transept is popularly called the bridal
door as the bride enters the church by this door.
There is also a plaque to the poet Donnachadh Ruadh Mac Conmara on the
back wall of the church.
In 1828 Daniel O'Connell made a speech outside Cratloe Church.