Prior to the building of the present church in Sixmilebridge, there was
a thatched church on the same site, which was built in 1779.
© Church Ruins at Craughaun
There are church ruins at Craughaun, which was called 'the
church of the little hall' in Brickhill. The church was a single cell
church and was rectangular in shape. Craughaun Church was the parish church
by 1418. Only one wall remains of the church and that is now partly covered
Prior to the building of the parish church in Craughaun, the parish church
was St Thomas's chapel and it was located on the mountain at Ballybroughan,
near Cratloe. This chapel may have actually been the church in Kilfintinan.
© Walls of Kilfintinan Graveyard,
possibly incorporating the ruins of Kilfintinan Church
St Fintinan had a church dedicated to him in Ballybroughan.
This church was in the old parish of Kilfintinan but no trace remains
of it today. It is possible that the ruins of the church were incorporated
into the wall of the Kilfintinan graveyard.
© St John's Chapel at Cratloe Moyle Castle
St John's chapel was situated next to Cratloe Moyle castle.
This chapel was not a parish church but it was an oratory. The chapel
building still stands but is now covered over by briars and trees and
from a distance, all that can be seen is a clump of trees.
According to James Frost's "The History and Topography
of the County of Clare" from 1893, the ruin of a Friary was removed
by Augustus Stafford O'Brien MP around 1860 or so. O'Brien's reason
for removing the ruin was that it was interfering with his view from
his windows in Cratloe Hall. It is not known which order of Friars lived
in the Friary.
Website by Lúnasa