© Kilcolman Church
The church in Kilcolman was built under the leadership of
Fr Jeremiah Murphy P.P. Bishop O'Dwyer laid the foundation stone on August
10th 1913. According to the inscription on the foundation stone, the builder
was John Ryan & Sons and the architect was Brian Sheehy.
Kilcolman church is dedicated to St Colman. St. Colman was from Shanbotha,
which is situated at the foot of Mount Leinster.
All of the material for the church was brought by train to Ardagh and
then transported to Kilcolman by horse and cart.
© Altar in Kilcolman Church
As you enter the church, there are two stained glass windows
that depict St. Ita and St. Colman. The water font in the church dates
from 1746 and the inscription bears Maurice Rahilly's name.
To the right of the main altar in the church, there is an
altar and statue to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour. There is also a statue
to the Little Flower. To the left of the main altar, there is a statue
and altar to the Sacred Heart. There is also a statue to St. Theresa.
The stained glass window behind the main altar in the church was given
by the ladies of parish. The window is divided into three sections that
depict (from left to right) the Little Flower, Sacred Heart and Mary.
© Side Altars in Kilcolman Church
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
John Casey P.P., Died January 24 1966
Kelly P.P., 1971-1980, Died September 5 1988, aged 82
John K. Fitzgerald P.P., November 7 1942, aged 78
O'Connell P.P., Died March 26 1971