Diocese of Limerick Heritage Project Home Index Search Help

Churches   Tournafulla-Mountcollins   Local Sites

Tournafulla graveyard
© Tournafulla graveyard


There are two graveyards presently in use in the parish of Tournafulla/Mountcollins. Each of the two graveyards is situated beside one of the two churches.

The present day cemetery in Tournafulla opened in 1962. Prior to 1962, most of the people in Tournafulla were buried in one of three places: Templeglantine, Monagea or Abbeyfeale. There are two priests buried in the new cemetery, Fr Shanahan and Fr John McCarthy. A grotto has been erected directly behind the site of Fr Shanahan's grave.

Grotto in Tournafulla graveyard
© Grotto in Tournafulla graveyard
With Fr Shanahan's grave in foreground

The graveyard in Mountcollins is older than its compatriot in Tournafulla. The oldest headstone that we came across was in memory of Eaneas D. Lane from Knockulcare, who died in June 1875.

There is also an old graveyard in the parish. This graveyard is situated below the site of the old church in Tournafulla. However, there are no headstones to mark the graves here, only stone markers. The field in which this graveyard is located is called the "White Field" and is owned by Dinny Brown.

Mountcollins graveyard
© Mountcollins graveyard
Heritage Project Home | Tournafulla-Mountcollins Home | Back to Top

Churches         Local Sites