© St Brigid's church
St Brigid's church is situated on a hill off the N7. Bishop
Newman dedicated the church to St Brigid on February 9th 1975. The church
was built under the leadership of Fr David Rea PP. A notice inside the
main door of the church states that the first church on this hill was
built after the visit of St Patrick to the area in the fifth century.
The church consists of a nave and two transepts. Over
the main door of the church there is a stained glass window of St Brigid,
beneath which there is a picture of Pope John Paul II.
On the right of the nave there is a picture to the Sacred
Heart. On the left hand side of the church there is a plaque, similar
to that in St Patrick's, to the memory of Archdeacon James Sadlier.
There is also a picture to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour.
© Stained glass window of St Brigid with a picture of
Pope John Paul II and a Shrine to the Sacred Heart
In the left transept there is a statue to Mary and above
which there is a stained glass window of St Brigid's cross. In the right
transept there is a statue to St Joseph and a second stained glass window
of St Brigid's cross. There is also a shrine to the Sacred Heart and
a statue of the Child of Prague.
© Altar in St Brigid's church
To the left of the altar there is a picture of the Immaculate
Conception while to the right of the altar there is a picture of the
Sacred Heart. There is a large crucifix to the left of the altar. There
is a smaller crucifix in front of the altar.
© Stations of the Cross in St Brigid's church
The Harold family built the Pennywell church in 1750 that
preceded the present church of St Patrick's.
At one time, there was a church in Singland that had a
round tower but whether the tower was attached to the church or not
is unclear. The church was 1 mile on the south side of the Dublin road
entering the city. The tower and church were destroyed in the war of
1641. The Williamite soldiers used the stones from this church and tower
in 1690 to construct battlements.
Website by Lúnasa