Welcome to St Patrick's!
The parish of St Patrick's was one of the five original medieval parishes of the city of Limerick. St Patrick's parish used to encompass the old parishes of Ballysimon/Derrygalvin and Kilmurry (now Monaleen). In 1704 St Nicholas' was a separate parish but by 1711 it had been joined with St Patrick's parish following the death of Fr Michael Dwyer. The church in Kilquane was also in the parish at Athlunkard.
In 1971, to accommodate the rising population in the area, Bishop Henry Murphy created the new parish of Monaleen from the area in the west of St Patrick's parish. The boundaries of St Patrick's parish were further reduced in 1981 when Bishop Jeremiah Newman created a new parish called Our Lady Help of Christians.
The population of the parish of St Patrick's is around 13,000.
Text-only version: Click here for a text-only, accessible version of this parish history.
St Patrick's parish today: Click here to go to the St Patrick's parish website.