© St Lelia's church
Bishop Newman and Canon Michael Breen PP opened the church
of St Lelia's in May 1977 according to a plaque in the porch of the
church. The architects were Robinson, Keeffe and Devane while the builders
were E & J Doran.
© Altar in St Lelia's church
Inside, there is a silver Crucifix on the wall over the
door of the church. At the back of the church on the left, there is
a statue of St Theresa of Liseux. The ceiling of the church is low and
is made of timber.
© Statues in St Lelia's church
To the left of the altar there is a statue to St Joseph
and a shrine to the Sacred Heart. To the right of the altar there is
a shrine to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour and a statue to Mary. The
Baptismal font is in front of the statue of Mary.
The main altar and tabernacle are made from stone. Behind
the altar there is a large painting of the Crucifixion. There are no
stained glass windows in the church.
Prior to the building of this church, the church of St
Lelia was situated where St Lelia's graveyard now stands. This part
of the parish of St Munchin's is called Killeely, and used to stretch
from the Shannon as far as Bunratty.
Today, there is a disused Church of Ireland church on
the site of the original St Munchin's church. This church was built
in 1827 to replace a medieval church. It was renovated by the Civic
Trust in 1980 and it is now used by the Island Theatre Company.
The parishioners of St Munchin's built a chapel outside
the walls at Thomondgate in 1744 to replace an earlier mass house. This
chapel was built close to the site of the present St Munchin's church.
In October 1799 the then parish priest, Fr Gerald Herbert
built a new chapel to replace the 1744 chapel. This building was used
as a place of worship until the present day church was built in 1921/22.
Website by Lúnasa