The name Parteen is derived from the Irish An Póirtín meaning the little port or landing place. Meelick is from the Irish Míliuc, which in turn is derived from Máighe Fhliuch, or the low marshy land. The Irish for Coonagh is Cuanach, a place indented with bays and harbours.
A notable feature of the parish is the Ardnacrusha HydroElectric Power Station. Building of the station commenced in 1925 under the direction of the German firm of Siemens & Schuckard of Berlin. As the Irish Free State was in its infancy, this was more than just a scheme that would give electricity to the country as a whole - it was also to show that the new country could provide for its citizens.
Thousands flocked to the area to work on this vast project. Rivers and streams had to be re-routed to accommodate the project, bridges were constructed, a 7 ½ mile stretch of land was dug out to form the Head Race from the Weir to Ardnacrusha, new railway lines were laid, and the power station itself was built.
The total cost of the project, completed in 1929, was £5 ½
million. Taoiseach William T. Cosgrave opened it on July 22nd 1929 and
by the end of the year it was supplying electricity into the national