© New section of Mungret graveyard
Mungret graveyard is overlooked by Mungret College. The
graveyard is in four sections. The present day section is to the left
of the church ruin, and is enclosed by a wall.
Across the road from the ruin is another smaller section.
What appears to be the ruin of a small chapel is situated in the centre
of this section. The oldest headstone that we came across here was in
memory of David Fitzgerald, PP for twenty years, who died on July 4th
1832, aged 45.
© Jesuit section of Mungret graveyard
The third section is that of the Jesuits. There are a number
of plain crosses in this section, but the names of those Jesuits buried
here do not appear on most of the crosses.
© Main section of Mungret graveyard
The main section of the Mungret graveyard surrounds extensive ruins.
An information board within the graveyard states that the ruins include
a pre-Norman church, which dates from around 1100.
There are a number of tombs in the graveyard. In the older section we
found tombs to John Wilson Vokes and family, the Shute family, and the
Masseys. We also found a tomb to Beauchamp.
There are a number of plaques in the ruin, which are in memory of Michael
McNamara, who died April 1892, Denis McCarthy, 1792, and John Hevnes,
1756. A headstone of interest in this graveyard is that of Seamus Ó
Dálaigh, a Gaelic poet who died in 1810.
The oldest headstone that we found in this section was to John Garvy
who died December 30th 1773, aged 29.
© Crecora graveyard and Old graveyard in Crecora
The old graveyard in Crecora is located on the hill across
from the present day church. This graveyard surrounds an old church ruin.
Both Catholics and Protestants are buried here. There are a number of
tombs in the graveyard. Stone markers can be found throughout the graveyard.
Many of the headstones have fallen, and of those that are still standing,
the inscriptions are quite worn. The graveyard itself is slightly overgrown.
The oldest headstone that we found was to John Eustace, who died on January
20th 1770, aged 60.
© Lemonfield graveyard
There is also a graveyard in the townland of Lemonfield,
which is known locally as Lemonfield graveyard. However, Westropp refers
to the church ruin situated in this graveyard as Knocknagall. The oldest
headstone that we came across here was in memory of Mary Anne Watson,
who died on the 5th of April 1835, aged 9. This graveyard is quite overgrown,
so many of the headstones were impossible to access.