© Cloncagh graveyard
The modern graveyard at Cloncagh was laid out on lands purchased
from the Hickey family in 1959 and is beside the present day church. There
are three other cemeteries in the parish.
© Ruins of Cloncagh church and graveyard
In the old graveyard at Cloncagh there are many old headstones, some
of which date back to the 1680s. Westropp records an inscription on the
north wall to the O'Sullivan family, which dates from this time.
There is also a tomb to the D'Arcy family, who were local landlords and
lived in Ahalin, and later in Knockaderry House. This tomb dates back
to the early 1800s and was built in memory of Mary D'Arcy who died on
May 22nd 1800 aged 10 and her mother Conyens who died in 1809. John Tierney
of Ballyscanlan in Rathkeale built the tomb. Each year the grounds are
cleaned up as part of FÁS work schemes, with the co-operation of
the Knockaderry/Cloncagh Council and Limerick County Council.
© Kilcolman graveyard
In the townland of Kilcolman there is a cemetery, which
is still in use. A monk by the name of Colman came to the area and formed
a settlement, which overlooked the area now known as Rathkeale. Fr Crawford
suggested that this area might have been the site of a mass rock because
of the extensive view of the surrounding countryside. Most of the people
interred in this graveyard are from the Rathkeale area.
© Grange graveyard
There is also a graveyard in the townland of Grange. The
oldest headstone that we came across here was in memory to Michael James
Woulfe who died in November 1844.
© Possible church ruin in Kilcolman graveyard