© Cloncagh church
St Mary's Church in Cloncagh was built in 1840 after the
mass house in the area was destroyed by storm damage in 1839 during
the Night of the Big Wind. Fr Daniel Hourigan was parish priest for
a number of years in the 1740s and left a chalice with his name engraved
on it to 'Clouncagh' church. The original roof still remains intact
on the church. St Mary's church is noted for its carved wooden altar.
© Altar in Cloncagh Church
There are statues to the Sacred Heart to the left of the
main altar and to Our Lady Queen of Peace to the right of the altar.
The people of the parish donated the Stations of the Cross. There is
a monument to Fr Denis O'Brien in the church.
© Statues in Cloncagh Church
Buried within the church are:
Fr James Quillinan, PP from 1822-1853, Died in 1853
Fr Denis O'Brien, PP from 1842-1868, Died in March 1868
Fr Cornelius McCarthy, PP from 1868-1885, Died in 1885
Buried in the grounds of the church is:
Fr Daniel O'Callaghan, PP from 1946-1956
Canon Timothy Lyons, PP from 1964-1993, is buried in the
new cemetery adjoining the church.
Website by Lúnasa