© Kilmallock church
Kilmallock church is dedicated to SS. Peter & Paul.
Building was commenced in 1879 when the Bishop of Limerick, Dr. George
Butler laid the foundation stone on July 6th. K. B. Brazier who was
a Protestant landholder from Mallow, Co. Cork, gave the site. Inside
the foundation stone is a bottle that contains the coins that were in
circulation in 1879. Thomas Downes was the parish priest for the duration
of the building of the church. Fr Downes is buried in front of the high
altar in the church.
The builder of the church was Michael Walsh of Foynes
and the architect was J. J. McCarthy. The church was not opened to the
public until 1889. The church was built on a site that was formerly
an obscure back lane. Some of the stained glass windows in the new church
are modeled on the windows in the abbey.
© Altar in Kilmallock church
The stained glass windows can be seen behind the high
altar (13th century east window from the Dominican priory) and facing
the sacristy (15th century traceried window in the south transept of
the priory). The stained glass window at the back of the altar is to
the memory of Fr Thomas Downes who was parish priest from 1841 until
his death in 1890. The church was reroofed in 1985.
© Mosaic decoration in Kilmallock church
The church in Kilmallock is renowned for the mosaics that
adorn it. These are styled in the fashion of the Victorian era and include
the sanctuary ceiling, which has a striking design of leaves and flowers
that are painted on wood.
© The Abbey and Kilmallock Church
Stained Glass Windows in Kilmallock Church
At the left of the main altar there is a side altar to
the Sacred Heart, which was donated by Mrs. Smyth of Glenfield in 1892
to the memory of her son and husband. Near this altar there is a stained
glass window in memory of Fr Patrick Meehan who was parish priest from
1890 until 1904.
© Large Stained Glass Window
Stephen B. Walsh and his family gave the altar on the
right hand side of the church. The stained glass windows near this altar
are in memory of Fr Patrick O'Shea C.C. and Fr James O'Shea P.P. who
were priests in the parish in the early years of the twentieth century.
The parishioners donated the stations.
© Three martyrs
Stained Glass Window
There is two stained glass windows are to the memory of
Bishop William Turner, who was a native of Kilmallock and a bishop in
Buffalo, USA from 1919 until 1936. These windows depict St. Munchin,
St. William of York, St. John's Cathedral and York Cathedral. They also
show the Dominican priory and Kilmallock.
On the left-hand side of the church, there is a Pieta
that was given by Thomas O'Shaughnessy of Glenfield Road. Near the Pieta
is a stained glass window to the three martyrs of their faith from the
16th century, Bishop Patrick O'Healy, Fr Conn O'Rourke and Fr Maurice
In the church there is also windows to St. Ita, St. Munchin,
St. Brigid and St. Mocheallóg. Maria Feore gave the church organ
in memory of her brother Martin who was chorister in the church for
35 years. Kenneth Jones & Associates made the organ in 1935.
© Monument to William Henry O'Sullivan
In the grounds of the church in Kilmallock church, there
is a large monument to William Henry O'Sullivan MP for Limerick County
from 1874 until 1886 and his son John who was J. P., and died in 1898.
The headstone is made from marble. The priests and people of Kilmallock
and surrounding districts erected this monument.
Buried in the church is:
Downes, P.P. 1841-1890, Died March 6 1890
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Edward Looby, P.P. 1994-1995, Died May 27 1995
David Wall, P.P. 1982-1984, Died October 13 1984
Mulcahy P.P., Died 1961
James Cowper, P.P. 1961-1975, Died March 4 1975
Carr, Dioc. of Liverpool, Died July 31 1992, (A native of the parish)
Meehan, P.P. 1890-1904, Died April 20 1904, aged 84
Michael Minahan, P.P. 1975-1982, Died Jan. 18 1984, aged 78
O'Sullivan, Diocese of Lancaster, Died March 8 1976
Bermingham, St. Paul's Liverpool, Died Sept. 20 1952, aged 35
O'Donnell, P.P. Northam, Western Australia, Died August 8 1932
O'Shea C.C., Died October 7 1911, aged 48
James O'Shea, P.P. 1904-27, Died Feb. 17 1927, aged 81
J. Houlihan, P.P. Queen of Peace 1975-1985, Died September 20 1985,
(A native of the parish)
Halpin, P.P. Dean of Wheeling Diocese, West Virginia,
Died February 7 1965
Website by Lúnasa