Originally Killeedy was called Cluain Chreadháil which
means "the meadow with a good depth of soil". The parish of
Killeedy is closely associated with the life and work of St Ita. It
was renamed Cill Íde, meaning the Church of Ita after
the saint. St Ita founded her monastery here in 546.
Killeedy was destroyed by invading Norsemen in 845. It was attacked
again in 1302.
In 1704 the parish of Killeedy was known as Killeedy and Killagholehane.
Fr Thady Daly was the parish priest. Tournafulla also formed part of
this parish. Following Fr Daly's death, the exact date of which is unknown,
Killagholehane separated from Killeedy, and joined with the parish of
Dromcollogher. Killeedy parish was further divided in 1838 following
the death of Fr Edmund O'Halloran P.P. when Tournafulla became a separate
© Glenquin Castle
As you travel the road from Newcastlewest to Killeedy, Glenquin castle
can be seen on the left hand side of the road. The name Glenquin comes
from the Irish 'Gleann Choim', which means "The Glen of
the Shelter". It is thought that the O'Hallinans built the castle
in 1462. The O'Hallinans were later defeated by the O'Briens, who then
captured the castle. However, the O'Briens, in turn, lost the castle
to the Geraldines. It is believed that the Geraldines founded the present
structure. At present, the building is in fine general repair due to
quite recent restoration work that was carried out there.
After the Desmond rebellion Walter Raleigh captured and dismantled
the castle. In 1587 it was granted to Hungerford. It changed hands once
again in 1591 when Sir William Courtenay gained possession of it. In
1595 Captain Collum occupied Glenquin. The Earl of Devon's agent, Mr.
Furling, restored the castle in 1840 and further work was done in the
1980's. Glenquin Castle was chosen as the rallying point for most of
West Limerick for the 1916 rising. To commemorate this event, a plaque
was erected in 1966 at the castle, which is now under the care of the
Office of Public Works.
There is also another castle in the parish, Killeedy castle, that was
under the ownership of the earls of Desmond. The Courtney family later
received this castle, when they arrived from England. At present, all
that remains of the castle is a tower.
Website by Lúnasa