Diocese of Limerick Heritage Project Home Index Search Help

Introduction   Kilcornan   Churches

The area around Kilcornan was one of the main settlements of the Vikings in the area. According to Lewis, they built a fortress here in 1041 and later built a church near Moig.

Fairs were held opposite the church on the fairgreen. These fairs were the scenes of some infamous faction fights in the 1820s and 1830s that stemmed from disputed rights of the taking of seaweed from the Shannon River.

The parish had two previous names before it became known as Kilcornan. In penal times, the parish was called Kilcornan Castletown. It was then called Stonehall when it was finally separated from the parish of Cappagh (also called Nantenan).

The name Kilcornan is derived from Cill Churnáin, which means Curnan's or Curnáin's church. The feastday of St. Curnán is January 6th.

Heritage Project Home | Kilcornan Home | Back to Top

Introduction         Churches
Website by Lúnasa Design