Fedamore was the head of the union with the parishes of Ballycahane, Manister,
Nenagh and Kilpeacon. Manister became a separate parish in 1858. Thomas
Blake was the parish priest of the new parish. The name Fedamore comes
from Fiadh Damair, or Feadamair the wood of Damar. The
parish used to be called Fedamore and Friarstown. Fairs were held in Fedamore
on May 5th and October 9th.
© Rockstown Castle
Castles were located at Ballyneguard (Rockstown), Williamstown,
and Englishtown. An article by Eamon P. Kelly and Tom Condit, entitled
'Limerick's Tara', was published in Archaeology Ireland in 1998. This
article details a complex of prehistoric monuments located on a hill at
Friarstown in Fedamore. This hill overlooks Friarstown abbey. The complex
consists of two large hilltop enclosures, which the authors interpret
as henges, a series of enclosures of various types, and standing stones.
The area in which these henges may be found is enclosed, and is currently
used for pasture.
© Standing Stone at Friarstown
There are also two standing stones located nearby. It is
recorded that beneath one of these stones, located in the field south
of the larger henge, human bones of 'extraordinary size' were uncovered
early in the nineteenth century. According to the locals these were the
bones of a seven-foot man. However, the identity of this man is a mystery,
although local folklore claims it was St Patrick.