Athlacca used to be the residence of the De Lacy family, the landlords of the surrounding district. A battle was fought in Athlacca in 1691 between the Irish supporters of James II and the troops of William III, with victory going to the forces of William III.
In 1824 Archdeacon Wray Maunsell made an interesting discovery in the bog of Rathcannon when the complete skeleton of an Irish elk was found. The skeleton can now be seen in the National Museum of Ireland.
In the past, part of the present day parish of Bruff called Uregare was in the parish of Dromin/Athlacca. Uregare was a separate parish in itself in the past until Fr John Dyneene became parish priest around 1720. The parish is situated between the towns of Bruff to the north and Kilmallock to the south.