The church in Broadford was built in 1844 to accommodate the rising population
in the area. Local historian Seamus Ó Súilleabhán
believes that this church was preceded by a Mass house located at the
site of his premises in the village from around the 1820s. The church
itself is built from limestone, which was quarried locally. Fr Quaid added
the belfry to the church in 1856. Further renovation work was carried
out on the church in 1985/86.
© Crucifixion scene outside Broadford Church
There is a statue of the Sacred Heart in the grounds of
the church on the left. The Crucifixion scene is on the right of the church.
An inscription on the belltower reads "P. Quaid 1856".
Inside the church, there is a statue to the
left of the altar of the Blessed Virgin, and a statue to the right of
the altar of St Theresa, in memory of John Connors.
© Statues in Broadford Church
The stained glass windows behind the altar depict St Anthony,
The Passion, and St David. David MacMahon donated these windows in memory
of David and Johanna MacMahon, in 1903.