© Banogue Church
When the church was built is an issue of debate. It has
been claimed that the church was built in 1840 but according to Fr Kennedy,
the church was probably built in 1818 or 1819. Stones were brought from
Croom to build the church. The church was renovated in 1826 and more
than likely the date of 1840 was a further renovation to the church.
More recently the church was renovated in 1955.
© Altar in Banogue Church
On the wall of the church beside the road, there are a
number of rings inserted in the wall. These rings were used to tie up
donkeys and traps while people were attending mass.
Originally the church consisted of the nave and the left
transept of the present church. The right transept was a latter addition
- perhaps in 1840. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter & Paul and
on either side of the altar is a statue of one of the saints, Peter
on the left and Paul on the right. There is also a statue of the Madonna
in the church.
© Statues in Banogue Church
In front of the church there is a depiction of the crucifixion at Calvary.
Fr Denis Fitzpatrick erected this in 1938 with the help of the parishioners.
© The Crucifixion
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Solomon Frost, P.P. 1902-1922, Died November 24 1922
Mortell P.P., Died October 8 1946
Fitzpatrick, P.P. 1935-1939, Died May 11 1939, aged 56
Culhane P.P., Died November 16 1983, aged 66