© Ballingarry Church
When James Enright was appointed as parish priest in 1851
he was in America raising money for the building of the church in his
then parish of Askeaton. He started building a new church in Ballingarry
but was moved onto Parteen in 1874 before the church was finished. Timothy
Shanahan supervised the completion of the new church in 1879 after he
had succeeded Fr Enright as parish priest.
© Altar in Ballingarry Church
Fr Ronald Costelloe restored the church in 1991. The spire
of the church can be seen from miles around. On the inside doors of the
church, there are stained glass panels of St. Patrick and St. Ita to commemorate
the 100th birthday of Archdeacon Patrick Lyons in 1993.
© Plaque to Rev. Downes
Inside the church on the right there is an altar and stained
glass window to the Immaculate Conception. There is also a statue to Joseph
and the child that was donated by the Murphy family. On the left there
is a stained glass window of the Good Shepherd that was donated by James
and Mary Moore. There is a stained glass window of the Blessed Sacrament
that was given by Fr Costello and a window of the Crucifixion given by
Austin and Peg Glorney.
On the right of the main altar there is an altar to Our Lady. The sons
of John Neville donated the stained glass window to his memory in 1896.
On the left of the altar there is an altar to Sacred Lady and there is
also a stained glass window that is to the memory of Hanora and Mary Bennett.
There is also a chapel to the Blessed Sacrament and a shrine to Our Lady
of Lourdes that was given by the people of the parish in 1991.
© Side Altar and Stained Glass Windows in Ballingarry Church
Buried within the church is:
Downes, P.P. 1894-1901, Died September 10 1901, aged 63
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
MacNamee, P.P. 1982-1988, Died December 22 1988
Thomas Wall, P.P. 1936-1956
Patrick Lyons, P.P. 1956-1982, Died Jan.1 1999, aged 106
Fr. Ronald Costello, P.P Ballingarry 1990-2004 , Died March 5th 2004