© Athea graveyard
There are three graveyards in the parish of Athea. The
new graveyard in Athea is located near the Con Colbert Memorial Hall.
© Templeathea graveyard
The oldest graveyard in the parish is beside the old church
in Templeathea. This graveyard is still in use and the oldest headstone
that we came across is in memory of Timothy McCoy who died on December
9th, 1796 at the age of 65. There are three tombs in the graveyard; two
belong to the Woulfe family while the other belongs to the Danaher family.
The graveyard is well maintained.
© Athea famine graveyard
There is a famine graveyard about a mile outside Athea on the road to
Listowel. The location of the graveyard can be identified by a clump of
furze bushes, which can be seen from the roadside. On Easter Sunday 2000,
Fr. O'Leary and Canon Kelly held a mass at the graveyard at 6 o'clock
in the morning. Despite this early hour, around 300 people attended the
mass. The mass finished just as the sun was rising over the horizon.