© Askeaton Church
The present day church in Askeaton was built on a site on
the western road during Fr Edward Cussen's time as parish priest. Building
was commenced in 1851 and was completed in 1853. The church is dedicated
to St Mary. The church was restored under the leadership of Canon Thomas
Kirby and Bishop Newman rededicated the church on the 23rd of May 1977.
In front of the church in Askeaton, there is a cross that marks the grave
of Fr Edmund Treacy. Between the period of time that the parish church
was burned in 1847 and the completion of the present church in 1853, mass
was celebrated in what is now Fitzgibbon's Store in Brewery Lane.
© Altar in Askeaton Church
© Stained Glass Windows in Askeaton Church
In the church, there are two stained glass windows at the
centre of the nave. The window on the left is in memory to Mary and Brigid
Casey, both of whom died from TB at age 19. The window depicts St Patrick
receiving the two daughters of King Laoire, the King of Ireland into the
church. The window opposite it shows Jesus with the little children. This
window is to the memory of Annie Mulraire.
© Statue in Askeaton Church
The stained glass window in the right transept shows the Resurrection
while under the gallery there is a statue to the Immaculate Conception.
In the left transept the stained glass window depicts the Ascension.
© Statue of the Pièta in Askeaton church
Over the main door of the church, the stained glass window to the Blessed
Virgin Mary is in memory to the McDonnell family of Milltown. Also over
the door, there is a large statue of the Pieta.
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Joseph Guiry, C.C. 1968-1974, Died 23rd Sept. 1983
Carroll, P.P. 1963-1969, Died 10th Sept. 1969
Thomas Kirby, P.P. 1969-1985, Died 19th Aug. 1985
O'Suibheáin, P.P. 1953-1963, Died 21st Nov. 1963
O'Donnell, P.P. 1948-1953, Died 11th July 1953
Timothy Reidy, P.P. 1915-1940, Died 13th May 1940
J. Casey, P.P., Died 6th Jan. 1946
Tracey, P.P. 1892-1908, Died 23rd Nov. 1908