Limerick Diocese Home Page Heritage Project Home Page Index of Parishes Search Help

The Ardagh Chalice   Ardagh-Carrickerry   Carrickerry Church

Ardagh Church | Carrickerry Church | Church Ruins

Ardagh Church

Ardagh Church
© Ardagh Church

Fr James Corbett PP completed the present day church in Ardagh in 1814. Prior to the building of this church a mass house in the village near where Aherne's petrol pumps stood, served as a place of worship. Incidentally, Fr Corbett was one of the priests ordained in the early years of the newly founded Maynooth College. On the 2 April 1813 James Corbett P.P. of Ardagh obtained from Maurice Studdert of Elm Hill the free site of the present church and a subscription of £10.00 to the building fund. The neighbouring Protestant gentlemen followed his good example. The building was completed before the end of 1814. The church is named after the patron saint of the parish, St Molua. It was extensively renovated in the 20th century.

Altar in Ardagh Church
© Altar in Ardagh Church
Statues in Ardagh church
© Statues in Ardagh Church
Plaque to Fr Maurice Cremin
© Plaque to Fr Maurice Cremin

In the porch of the church there is a stained glass window of the Baptism of Our Lord. Over the main door of the church there is a picture of Pope John Paul II. To the left of the altar there is a picture of Blessed Oliver Plunkett and a statue of Sacred Heart.

Behind the main altar, which is made from marble, there is a large crucifix. To the right of the altar there is a statue of the Mother & Child and a picture of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour. In the right aisle there is a plaque to Fr Maurice Cremin, which was erected by his fellow priests of Newcastle-on-Tyne.

Stained Glass Window at the back of Ardagh church
© Stained Glass Window at
the back of Ardagh Church

Buried within the church is:

  Maurice Cremin, Died October 26 1887, Aged 31

Buried in the grounds of the church are:

  John Connors , PP 1973-1984, Died April 13th 1984, Aged 72
  Daniel Costello, PP 1964-1973, Died 20th March 1973, Aged 68
  Rev. John Wilmott C.C., Died 6th August 1952
  Rev. John Sheahan, P.P., Died November 28th 1902 , Aged 69
  Rev. Michael O'hAodha, P.P. 1930-1934, Died June 16th 1934, Aged 62
  Rev. John Hallinan, P.P. for 14 years, Died 6th May 1917
  John Canon Reeves, P.P. 1916-1929, Died 29th Dec. 1929, Aged 70
  Very Rev. P. Ruddle, Parish Priest, Died 21st December 1958
  Canon James Liston PP 1934-1945, Died March 15 1945, aged 81

Ardagh Church | Carrickerry Church | Church Ruins

Heritage Project Home | Ardagh-Carrickerry Home | Back to Top

The Ardagh Chalice      Carrickerry Church