In Medieval Limerick, there were five parishes in Limerick City; St John's, St Mary's, St Michael's, St Munchin's and St Patrick's.
In recent times, the boundaries of these parishes have been altered to form the following parishes:
St Mary's was divided into St Mary's and St Nicholas' (1991).
The origins of St Munchin's parish can be traced back to the Treaty of Limerick of 1691. Originally called St Lelia's parish, the name was changed to St Munchin's in 1812. There are churches in the parish to both of these saints.
St Munchin's parish is one of the five original parishes in Limerick City along with St John's, St Michael's, St Mary's and St Patrick's. However with the growth of Limerick City in the last 40 years, the area of St Munchin's has been reduced greatly due to the creation of new parishes. In 1964 the parish of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary was created, from the south eastern part of St Munchin's parish.
In 1970 the parish of Christ the King in Caherdavin to the west was created and six years later to the north of the old St Munchin's parish, the parish of Corpus Christi in Moyross was created. The population of the parish is around 10,000.
One of the city's most historic features is situated across the road from St Munchin's church. The Treaty Stone was where the Treaty of Limerick was signed to guarantee civil and religious liberty for the people of Ireland in 1691.