Break-up of the Parishes
In Medieval Limerick, there were five parishes in Limerick City; St John's,
St Mary's, St Michael's, St Munchin's and St Patrick's.
In recent times, the boundaries of these parishes have been altered to
form the following parishes:
St Mary's was divided into St Mary's and St Nicholas' (1991).
St Michael's was divided into St Michael's, Our Lady of Lourdes (1963),
St Joseph's (1973) and St Saviour's (1973).
St Munchin's was divided into St Munchin's, Our Lady of the Rosary (1964),
Christ the King (1970) and Corpus Christi (1976).
St Patrick's was divided into St Patrick's, Monaleen (1971), and Our Lady
Help of Christians (1981).
St John's parish has not been altered.
St Paul's was formerly part of the parish of Mungret/Crecora and was created
Our Lady Queen of Peace (1961) and Holy Family (1970) were formerly part
of the parish of Donaghmore/Knockea.
© Chalices in St Mary's church, and Monstrance
In St Mary's church, there are a number of interesting chalices
that date from the seventeenth century. The oldest chalice in the church
dates from 1652 and is the Meade chalice. This chalice is associated with
the Dominican Order in Kilmallock and the inscription is in Latin, which
states that "Bro. Dominic Meade had this chalice made 3rd April 1652".
The Lacy chalice is dated as 1662 and the inscription states that "Fr
Thomas Lacy got this chalice made for Dr Edmond Lacy". The third
chalice worthy of a mention was stolen from the sacristy by two drunken
British soldiers and broken. Later it was found and repaired by Dr Casey
PP in 1873.