© St Laurence's graveyard
© Church Wall in St Laurence's graveyard
Mount St Laurence graveyard is in the parish. Originally
it was 16 acres of farmland and was called Gortnamanna. It was situated
in the old parish of St Laurence. After the Reformation, St John's and
St Laurence's were united into one parish. Dr Ryan, Bishop of Limerick,
blessed the graveyard on March 29 1849.
© New Section of St Laurence's graveyard
The new graveyard was needed due to an outbreak of cholera
in the 1830s and the Great Famine of 1845-1848. According to "In
the Shadow of the Spire" the metal Celtic cross on the Bethal family
grave was originally from the spire of St John's Cathedral but fell
from the Cathedral during a storm that occurred in 1883.