The parish of Shanagolden/Robertstown/Foynes comprises of the villages of Shanagolden and Foynes and outlying regions. The village of Foynes is situated on the N69 and the village of Shanagolden is situated on the R521.
The area is mentioned in the Annals of the Four Masters. In 968 the King of Munster; Mahon defeated the Norsemen of Limerick and Waterford at Sengualainn in a "red slaughter". In 1124, Turlogh O'Connor gathered a fleet together to cross the Shannon and plundered the lands of the Uí Conaill at Foynes Island. After the defeat of the Munster Geraldines by the English, Shanagolden village was laid out during the 1580s as a plantation village.
Begley tells us that in 1207 the then Bishop, Donat O'Brien, gave control of Shanagolden church to M. O'Melinus, Chantor. Begley also tells us that in 1480, Gerald de Geraldinis took control of both the churches at Robertstown (or Baileroberd as it was called then) and Shanagolden.
The port of Foynes is associated with the flying boats that
flew out from the Shannon estuary in the late 1930s and early 1940s to cross
the Atlantic to Newfoundland. The service was phased out in 1945 when Shannon
Airport began to operate as the gateway to America.
The present population of the parish is approximately 2,400 people according to Canon O'Keeffe. In the last Census, the villages of Foynes and Shanagolden had a population of 558 and 412 respectively.
Today, there are three churches in use in the parish. The first church that you meet as you enter the parish is at Robertstown. This church is on the main Limerick-Foynes road and it was built in 1830.
Inside the church there is an ornate reredos behind the altar. The High Altar was erected in 1912 by Mary MacNamara O'Brien in memory of her husband Laurence C. O'Brien. Mrs Cornelius Mangan of Aughinish also erected Communion rails in 1912 in memory of her husband but they are no longer in the church. These details are given on plaques on the right and left hand sides of the church respectively.
To the left of the altar there is a statue to the Sacred Heart
while on the right of the altar there is a statue to Mary. Various people
donated the Stations of the Cross. The church windows are of a plain design.
Fr Patrick McDonnell P.P. built the present day church in Shanagolden during his stay in the parish from 1808 until his death in 1824. At the front of Shanagolden church there is a large depiction of the Crucifixion. There is also a Lourdes Grotto in the grounds of the church to the right in memory of Lizzie Reidy, who died on July 25th 1909. Her brothers and sisters erected the grotto.
To the left of the church, there is a plaque, inscribed in
Latin, on the boundary wall. The plaque mentions that Fr Patrick McDonnell
P.P. built the church in 1814. Dean Patrick McNamara, who succeeded Fr McDonnell
as parish priest in 1824, is also mentioned on the plaque as a church bell
was purchased for the church in this year. The church was renovated in 1824.
In the porch of the church there is a wooden statue of Mary and Child with the inscription "Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis". There is also a picture of the original church in the porch together with a list of the subscribers to the church that was published in the Limerick Gazette on August 9 1814.
A plaque on the left-hand side of the church is in memory of three former parish priests of the parish; Fr Mortimer Collins (died January 1857), Fr James Synan (died May 4 1877) and Fr John Mulqueen (died January 5 1894). All of the church windows are of a plain design.
Michael O'Connor of Mullough donated the altar rails. To the left of the main altar there is a statue of the Sacred Heart while on the right of the altar there is a statue of Mary. Over the main altar there is a crucifix.
In the right transept there is a shrine to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour while in the left transept there is a shrine to the Crucifixion to the memory of Alice M. O'Brien.
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Gerard Canon Enright
Died 23rd October 1990
Died 26th March 1909
Died 10th December 1921
Archdeacon Frederick Rice
Died 15th April 1970
William Canon Fitzgerald
Died 1st August 1935
John Canon Rea
Died 26th July 1948
The original church in Foynes was built in the early 1870s but the design of architect J. J. McCarthy was never completed due to a shortage of funds. John Ryan & Son, Limerick built the church on a site given by Lord Monteagle. The church cost £1,864. 13s. 9d. and over 670 people contributed to its construction. "The Munster News" states in its edition of 18th April 1874 that most of the credit for the building of the church should go to Stephen E. de Vere.
One hundred years later it was decided that the church needed
to be renovated. The designers were Sheahan Architects and Ml. Nash, Contractors,
carried out the work. Bishop Jeremiah Newman blessed the renovated church,
along with the new extension on the 9th March 1975. A Lourdes Grotto was erected
at the back of the church in 1987.
Within the church there is a stained glass window of the Body and Blood at the back door. In the back porch of the church there is a picture of Our Lady of Limerick. On the right wall of the church opposite the altar, there is a crest of the Lamb of God that is cut from stone. Also on this side of the church there is a shrine to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour.
To the right of the main altar is a mosaic of Mary and Child and further right there is a mosaic to St Theresa of Liseux. On the opposite side of the church there is a mosaic of the Sacred Heart while further left there is a mosaic of St Joseph.
The first church in Robertstown was near Churchfield. Behind the present day church in Robertstown is the ruin of the previous Robertstown church and graveyard. The grounds are tidy and well kept and the church ruins have been partially rebuilt. Westropp states that Robert de Guer probably founded the church in the early part of the thirteenth century. Ardineer is a townland in Robertstown, and although there is no trace of a church in the present townland, it is believed that the original Robertstown church may have been situated here.
The church ruin in Shanagolden was converted into a place of Protestant worship and a tower was built on the site when the conversion took place. As there is a mention of a "lofty square tower built in 1815" in the Postal Directory of Munster, it can be assumed that this is one and the same tower.
About a mile from Shanagolden are the ruins of another church. Kilmoylan church is at the eastern end of the parish and Westropp measured the church as 35 feet by 18 feet. The west gable fell in the Night of the Big Wind in 1839.
There is also a church ruin in Mount Pleasant graveyard. Near the church ruin is an altar. Both the church ruin and the altar are in good condition.
Knockpatrick church is situated 572 feet above sea level and gives a stunning view of the Shannon Estuary and the surrounding countryside. According to legend, St Patrick consecrated the church at Knockpatrick when he visited the area in 448 AD. He also blessed all that lay west of him, as he never ventured as far as Kerry. Westropp wrote that the Danes burned Knockpatrick in 1114.
To the east of the church there are six stones that are called 'Suíochán Pádraig', St Patrick's Seat. According to Mainchín Seoighe, the traditional religious practice at Knockpatrick involved reciting three Rosaries: one around the wall of the burial grounds, one while moving clockwise around St Patrick's Well and the third at Suíochán Pádraig.
Westropp also mentions churches at Aughinish and Ardaneer
but the sites of these churches are unknown today. There was also an old church
at Dysert or Morgans as it is now called. It is believed that this church
was located near Barrigone well. The name Morgans was derived from the Irish
Muingeadain, meaning a 'maritime spot'. The church is believed to have been
built in the 15th century. It is said to have been built by two sisters, but
neither their names nor their surnames are remembered.
Manisternagalliaghduff Abbey, in the parish of Shanagolden/Robertstown/Foynes, is more commonly known as Mainstir na gCailleach Duff. This can be translated as the Monastery of the Black (Veiled) Nuns. The ruins are situated about two miles east of Shanagolden. Extensive ruins remain of this monastery, which was reputedly founded in the first half of the thirteenth century. According to Sean Spellissy, the Earl of Desmond complained at one stage that the nuns were leading "loose and dissolute lives". Although the then Pope, Pope Martin V ordered the suppression of the monastery in 1432, the monastery continued until the mid-sixteenth century when it finally closed. Westropp tells us that a new parish was formed around it in 1586.
There are five graveyards in the parish of Shanagolden/Foynes. Robertstown graveyard is situated in the grounds of a church ruin, about a quarter of a mile by road from the present day Robertstown church. At Robertstown graveyard the oldest headstone that we came across was from November 1788 and it was in memory of Joanna O'Brien.
Mount Pleasant graveyard is situated close to the boundary
line between the parish of Shanagolden/Robertstown/Foynes and Askeaton/Ballysteen
parish. At Mount Pleasant the oldest headstone that we found was from 1817
but according to Canon O'Keeffe's records, the oldest headstone in the graveyard
dates from 1785, and is in memory of a W. Casey who died aged 46.
Shanagolden graveyard is situated across from the Community Hall. The oldest headstone that we came across in Shanagolden cemetery dated from 1814. However, according to Canon O'Keeffe's records on the headstones in the cemetery, the oldest headstone is from 1703. It is in memory of M. Pierce Green who died on November 12th 1703. On the headstone are the words "killed by the Tories".
There is also a graveyard located in the grounds of Kilmoylan church ruin. In Kilmoylan graveyard, the oldest headstone is in memory of Owne Mulkere who died on the 10th of March 1808 at the age of 92. There is also a plaque to the Desmond and Crimmins families in the ruins of the old church.
The fifth graveyard surrounds the historic site of Knockpatrick.
The oldest headstone here is in memory of Fr Philip O'Nolain who died in 1738
after only one year as parish priest of Shanagolden. Also buried on Knockpatrick
is Charlotte Smith O'Brien, the daughter of William Smith O'Brien who was
a Member of Parliament in Westminster for over 20 years, where he represented
his constituents with distinction. Charlotte died on June 3 1909 aged 63.
There are two Holy Wells in the parish where tradition and devotions are continued. In the Robertstown part of the parish, Borrigone Well is situated in the townland of Craggs. This well is located beside an inlet of the Shannon River and seaweed can be seen around it. The well is enclosed. The Parish council laid down a concrete walkway in the 1960s. A covered altar has been built beside the well. There is a plaque in memory of Noel O'Shaughnessy, who was from Borrigone, on the wall of the altar shelter.
The feastday of the well is the 15th of August. In the past, a large pattern was held on the 14th and 15th of August. Danaher tells us that bonfires lit up the night-time sky and the celebrations continued throughout the night. Other days of devotion at the well were the Saturday before the 1st of May and the 24th of June.
It is claimed that the well can cure many illnesses. Rags were been left at the well as offerings. It is believed that the well takes its name from the holy monk St Muirdebhair the wise, whose feastday is on the 3rd of November (although Maureen Jackson claims it is the 3rd of September). St Muirdebhair baptised new Christians at the well. With the passing of time, the pronunciation changed, the "M" became a "B" and thus the well was called Barrigone.
The legends about the well are many and varied. The water would not boil, the well moved when cursed and if your wish were to be granted, you would see a trout in the well. Another legend tells that the well spoke to a woman who was about to wash clothes in the well. A blind horse was brought to the well to be cured. The horse was cured but the owner became blind.
The most interesting legend about the well concerned a girl who was going to America. Before she left for America, the girl took some pebbles from the well. During the journey across the Atlantic, a fierce storm occurred and the girl threw the pebbles into the sea. The storm abated and the pebbles returned to the well.
Many old people believe that immersion in the spring could avert imminent death. The prayers that are said while doing a round of the well are Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be. Old people would pick up seven pebbles and drop one every time they completed a round at the well.
St Patrick's Well is situated on Knockpatrick hill. It is close to the foot of the hill, to the left of the road. A statue of St Patrick has been erected at the site and there are paths leading to the well from the road. Rounds, consisting of seven decades of the Rosary, are still made at the well. According to Danaher, rags were left as offerings on whitethorn trees by the well. Today, two evergreen trees grow by the well.
There are a number of legends concerning the well. The water from the well could cure sore eyes. The well moved when cursed. A druid tried to poison St Patrick here. St Patrick once put a curse on sinners but this was later transferred to birds and a dead bird can sometimes be found at the well on certain days of the year.
Danaher also says that St Patrick left a gold cup at the well. This cup or chalice was kept at the well until 1785 when a member of the O'Niadh (Neville) family, the stewards of the site of Knockpatrick, pledged it to a Mr Roche of Limerick. Mr. Roche then brought it to Paris where it was last heard of in 1840.
Danaher also mentioned St Senan's well in Shanagolden at the
townland of Shanagolden Demesne. This well was covered in but it is believed
that the well was situated where the pumphouse is now located. This pumphouse
is across from the community hall.
During St Patrick's travels around Ireland on his mission to convert the people from paganism, he was asked about the future. St Patrick replied that a child named Sanus would succeed him as bishop and that he would convert the whole island.
It is believed that St Senan was born in 488 AD in Magh Lacha, four miles north east of Kilrush. At the age of fourteen, Senan refused to fight for his tribe the Corca Baiscinn in a local feud against the Corkamoroe. He hid in a haggard and fell fast asleep. The haggard was set ablaze and Senan was found by the Corkamoroe. He was set free, however, as they believed that God was with him.
Senan worked on the family farm as a young man and was driving cattle home one evening for his father when his way was blocked by the tide. Senan looked for food and lodgings from a man called Mieger but he was refused. Senan began to pray to God for help and the water receded long enough for him to get the cattle across the peninsula at Traught-Fannon. That night Mieger's place was destroyed by fire and all the menfolk were killed.
Senan entered the religious life under the tutelage of the holy Casidanus at Irrus before studying at Kilmanagh in Ossory under St Natalis. While here, St Senan performed a miracle by restoring life to an only son on the pleadings of a grief-stricken mother. Senan's popularity now increased and he decided to leave the monastery. For a number of years, Senan wandered the country and finally settled in at Ferns, Co.Wexford under Malachy. On Malachy's death, Senan became the abbot of the monastery.
On the way home from a pilgrimage in Rome, Senan received his Bishop's Staff. On his return to Ireland, he founded a monastery at Inniscarra in Cork. Senan was looking for "His place of Resurrection". He finally discovered it at Scattery Island when an angel showed him the island from a hill overlooking the Shannon. Prior to Senan's arrival, a sea monster called "the cathach" guarded the island. The monster rushed to devour Senan but he blessed the creature and asked him to depart in the name of Jesus. The angel promised Senan that none of his monks would drown in the sea crossing. From this story, a legend has grown claiming that pebbles from the island would protect against shipwreck.
Many people came to Scattery Island seeking a monastic life, including St Ciaran of Clonmacnoise and St Brendan from Kerry. On many occasions, the crowds were so great that Senan was close to leaving the area but he always stayed on the island. His private retreat was at Bishop's Island, which is a sea-stack on the West Clare coast. Senan lived in a beehive hut while on the island, which was surrounded by vertical cliffs on all sides.
It is believed that Senan died in 544 AD and is buried on Scattery Island in a place called 'St Senan's Bed'. Senan's feastday is celebrated on the 8th of March. As St Senan was a bishop, he created the diocese of Inis Chathaigh. The diocese survived until the Synod of Rathbrassil in 1111 AD when it was divided up amongst the dioceses of Ardfert, Killaloe and Limerick.
Senan also formed a community in Plouzané in northwest Brittany. Although the exact date when Senan visited here is unclear, Noel O'Shaughnessy claims that he visited Tours on his homeward journey from Rome. Jean Francois Simon, an historian, discovered the link between Plouzané and Kilrush in 1978. Plouzané, when translated, means 'Senan's Parish'. The 'Life of St. Senan' was written in 1629 by Albert Le Grand and translated in 1993 by Jean-Michel Picard.
|English Name||Irish Name||Meaning|
|Ardaneer||Ard Inbhir||High place of the river mouth|
|Aughinish East||Eachinis||Horse island|
|Aughinish West||as above|
|Ballinknockane||Baile an Chnocáin||The town of the hillock|
|Ballinree||Baile an Rí||The town of the king|
|Ballyane||Baile Uí Éidhin||The town of Ó hÉidhin|
|Ballycormick||Baile Uí Chormaic||The town of Ó Cormaic|
|Ballylin||Baile Uí Fhloinn||The town of Ó Floinn|
|Ballynacragga North||Baile na Craige||The town of the rock|
|Ballynacragga South||as above|
|Ballynash (Bishop)||Baile an Naisigh||The town of An Naiseach|
|Ballynash (Clare)||as above|
|Briskagh||Broisceach||Broken, uneven ground|
|Carrowclogh||An Cheathrú Chlochach||The stony quarterland|
|Churchfield||Páirc an Teampaill||The field of the church|
|Clashganniff||Clais Ghainimh||Trench, ravine of sand|
|Cloonty||Na Cluainte||The meadows|
|Cloonyclohassy||Cluain Uí Chlochasaigh||The meadow of Ó Clochasaigh|
|Corbally||An Corrbhaile||The noticeable town|
|Corgrig||An Chorrghráig||The noticeable hamlet|
|Craggard||An Chreag Ard||The high rock|
|Craggs||An Chreag||The rock|
|Croaghane||An Cruachán||The heap|
|Doonskerdeen||Dún Sceirdín||The fort of Sceirdín|
|Dysert||An Díseart||The hermitage|
|Fawnamore||Fána Mhór||Big slope|
|Foynes Island||as above|
|Glenbane East||An Glenn Bán||The white glen|
|Glenbane West||as above|
|Hazelfield||Páirc an Choill||The field of the hazel tree|
|Inchagreenoge||Inse Dhraighneog||Wet meadow of blackthorns|
|Island MacTeige||Oileán Mhic Thaidhg||The island of Mac Thaidhg|
|Kilbradran||Cill Bhradaráin||The church of Bradarán|
|Kilcosgrave||Cill Choscráin||The church of Coscrán|
|Kilmoylan||Cill Mhaoláin||The church of Maolán|
|Knockardnacorlan||Cnoc Ard na Cartlann||The high hill of the mint|
|Knockpatrick||Cnoc Pádraig||The hill of Patrick|
|Leahys||Na Liatha||The grey lands|
|Lisbane||An Lios Bán||The white enclosure|
|Monavaha||Móin an Mhacha||The bogland of the cattle-field|
|Morgans South||as above|
|Mount Trenchard||An Cheapach||The tillage plot|
|Mullagh||An Mullach||The summit|
|Oldabbey||Mainstir na gCailleach||The monastery of the Nuns|
|Parkmore||An Pháirc Mhór||The big field|
|Rathfarra||Ráth Bheara||Rath of the spike|
|Rincullia||Rinn Choille||Point of the wood|
|Robertstown||Baile Riobaird||The town of Riobard|
|Shanagolden||Seanghualainn||The old shoulder|
|Shanagolden Demense||as above|
|Shanid Lower||Seanaid||Meaning uncertain|
|Shanid Upper||as above|
|Sroolane North||An Sruthlán||The small stream|
|Sroolane South||as above|
|Stokesfield||Páirc an Stócaigh||The field of An Stócach|
|Tiermore||Tír Mhór||Big district|
|1704 - ?||John Fyne|
|? - ?||John Bulter|
|Constantine O’Keeffe ? - 1737|
|1737 - 1738||Philip O’Nolain|
|1738 - 1756||Rowland Kirby|
|1756 - 1760||Roger Coffee (Adm.)|
|Maurice Walsh, Nicholas & MacMahon||are mentioned in the Census of 1766|
|1774 - 1796||David Everard|
|1796 - 1799||Michael Copps|
|1799 - 1808||Timothy Hallinan|
|1808 - 1824||Patrick McDonnell|
|1824 - 1831||Dean Patrick MacNamara|
|1831 – 1836||Mortimer Collins|
|1837||Mortimer Collins||Laurence Doyle|
|1838||Mortimer Collins||Laurence Doyle|
|1839||Mortimer Collins||Laurence Doyle|
|1840||Mortimer Collins||Thomas Blake|
|J. C. Doyle|
|1841||Mortimer Collins||Thomas Blake|
|1842||Mortimer Collins||W. Tuohy|
|1843||Mortimer Collins||W. Tuohy|
|1844||Mortimer Collins||W. Tuohy|
|1845||Mortimer Collins||Marcus Cleary|
|1846||Mortimer Collins||Marcus Cleary|
|1847||Mortimer Collins||Marcus Cleary|
|1848||Mortimer Collins||Richard Liston|
|1849||Mortimer Collins||Richard Liston|
|1850||Mortimer Collins||Richard Liston|
|1851||Mortimer Collins||Richard Liston|
|1852||Mortimer Collins||Richard Liston|
|1853||Mortimer Collins||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1854||Mortimer Collins||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1855||Mortimer Collins||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1856||Mortimer Collins||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1857||Mortimer Collins||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1858||James Synan||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1859||James Synan||Ed. O’Donohoe|
|1860||James Synan||John Clifford|
|1861||James Synan||John Clifford|
|1862||James Synan||John Hayes|
|1863||James Synan||John Hayes|
|1864||James Synan||John Hayes|
|1865||James Synan||John Hayes|
|1866||James Synan||John Hayes|
|1867||James Synan||John Hayes|
|1868||James Synan||William Connery|
|1869||James Synan||William Connery|
|1870||James Synan||William Connery|
|1871||James Synan||William Connery|
|1872||James Synan||William Connery|
|1873||James Synan||William Connery|
|1874||James Synan||John Kelly|
|1875||James Synan||John Kelly|
|1876||James Synan||John Kelly|
|1877||James Synan||Cornelius Kenny|
|1878||John Mulqueen||James Molony|
|1879||John Mulqueen||Stephen Danaher|
|1880||John Mulqueen||Stephen Danaher|
|1881||John Mulqueen||Stephen Danaher|
|1882||John Mulqueen||Stephen Danaher|
|1883||John Mulqueen||Stephen Danaher|
|1884||John Mulqueen||Stephen Danaher|
|1885||John Mulqueen||Stephen Danaher|
|1886||John Mulqueen||John Ryan|
|1887||John Mulqueen||John Ryan|
|1888||John Mulqueen||John Ryan|
|1889||John Mulqueen||John Ryan|
|1890||John Mulqueen||Daniel Daly|
|1891||John Mulqueen||Daniel Curtin|
|1892||John Mulqueen||John Conway|
|1893||John Mulqueen||John Conway|
|1894||John Mulqueen||John Conway|
|1895||Michael Donor||John Conway|
|1896||Michael Donor||John Conway|
|1897||Michael Donor||John Conway|
|1898||Michael Donor||John Conway|
|1899||Michael Donor||John Conway|
|1900||Michael Donor||John Conway|
|1901||Michael Donor||John Conway|
|1902||Michael Donor||John Conway|
|1903||Michael Donor||John Conway|
|1904||Michael Donor||John Conway|
|1905||Michael Donor||John Conway|
|1906||Michael Donor||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1907||Michael Donor||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1908||Michael Donor||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1909||Michael Donor||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1910||Thomas Liston||Patrick Conway|
|1911||Thomas Liston||Patrick Conway|
|1912||Thomas Liston||John Wallace|
|1913||Thomas Liston||John Wallace|
|1914||Thomas Liston||John Wallace|
|1915||Thomas Liston||John Wallace|
|1916||Canon Thomas Liston||John Wallace|
|1917||Canon Thomas Liston||John Wallace|
|1918||Canon Thomas Liston||John Wallace|
|1919||Canon Thomas Liston||John Wallace|
|1920||Canon Thomas Liston||John Wallace|
|1921||Canon Thomas Liston||John Wallace|
|1922||Canon Thomas Liston||John Wallace|
|1923||Canon William Fitzgerald||John Wallace|
|Tomás de Bhall|
|1924||Canon William Fitzgerald||John Wallace|
|Tomás de Bhall|
|1925||Canon William Fitzgerald||John Wallace|
|Tomás de Bhall|
|1926||Canon William Fitzgerald||John Wallace|
|Tomás de Bhall|
|1927||Canon William Fitzgerald||Patrick V. Higgins|
|Tomás de Bhall|
|1928||Canon William Fitzgerald||Patrick V. Higgins|
|Tomás de Bhall|
|1929||Canon William Fitzgerald||Patrick V. Higgins|
|Tomás de Bhall|
|1930||Canon William Fitzgerald||Tomás de Bhall|
|1931||Canon William Fitzgerald||David Riordan|
|1932||Canon William Fitzgerald||David Riordan|
|1933||Canon William Fitzgerald||David Riordan|
|1934||Canon William Fitzgerald||David Riordan|
|1935||Canon William Fitzgerald||Patrick O’Callaghan|
|1936||Canon John Rea||Patrick O’Callaghan|
|1937||Canon John Rea||Patrick O’Callaghan|
|1938||Canon John Rea||Patrick O’ Callaghan|
|1939||Canon John Rea||Patrick O’Callaghan|
|1940||Canon John Rea||Martin O’Grady|
|1941||Canon John Rea||Michael Quinlan|
|1942||Canon John Rea||Michael Quinlan|
|1943||Canon John Rea||Michael Quinlan|
|1944||Canon John Rea||Michael Quinlan|
|1945||Canon John Rea||James O’Byrne|
|1946||Canon John Rea||James O’Byrne|
|1947||Canon John Rea||James O’Byrne|
|1948||Canon John Rea||James O’Byrne|
|1949||Canon Frederick Rice||James O’Byrne|
|1950||Canon Frederick Rice||James O’Byrne|
|1951||Canon Frederick Rice||James O’Byrne|
|1952||Canon Frederick Rice||James O’Byrne|
|1953||Canon Frederick Rice||James O’Byrne|
|1954||Canon Frederick Rice||James O’Byrne|
|1955||Canon Frederick Rice||James O’Byrne|
|1956||Canon Frederick Rice||James O’Byrne|
|1957||Canon Frederick Rice||James O’Byrne|
|1958||Canon Frederick Rice||James O’Byrne|
|1959||Canon Frederick Rice||Thomas Cussen|
|1960||Canon Frederick Rice||Patrick O’Regan|
|1961||Canon Frederick Rice||Patrick O’Regan|
|1962||Canon Frederick Rice||Patrick O’Regan|
|1963||Canon Frederick Rice||Patrick O’Regan|
|1964||Canon Frederick Rice||Patrick O’Regan|
|1965||Archdeacon Frederick Rice||Thomas O’Donnell|
|Patrick J. Guiry|
|1966||Archdeacon Frederick Rice||Thomas O’Donnell|
|Patrick J. Guiry|
|1967||Archdeacon Frederick Rice||Thomas O’Donnell|
|Patrick J. Guiry|
|1968||Archdeacon Frederick Rice||Thomas O’Donnell|
|Patrick J. Guiry|
|1969||Archdeacon Frederick Rice||Thomas O’Donnell|
|1971||Canon Michael Minihan||Thomas O’Donnell|
|1972||Canon Michael Minihan||Thomas O’Donnell|
|1973||Canon Michael Minihan||Thomas O’Donnell|
|1974||Canon Michael Minihan||Martin Madigan|
|1975||Canon Michael Minihan||James Neville|
|1976||Canon Gerard Enright||James Neville|
|1977||Canon Gerard Enright||James Neville|
|1978||Canon Gerard Enright||James Neville|
|1979||Canon Gerard Enright||James Neville|
|1980||Canon Gerard Enright||Daniel Lane|
|1981||Canon Gerard Enright||Daniel Lane|
|1982||Canon Gerard Enright||Daniel Lane|
|1983||Canon Gerard Enright||Daniel Lane|
|1984||Canon Gerard Enright||Michael Hanley|
|1985||Canon Gerard Enright||Michael Hanley|
|1986||Canon Gerard Enright||Michael Hanley|
|1987||Canon Gerard Enright||Michael Hanley|
|1988||Canon Gerard Enright||Michael Noonan|
|1989||Canon Gerard Enright||Michael Noonan|
|1990||Eamonn Dillane||Michael Noonan|
|1991||Canon Eamonn Dillane||Michael Noonan|
|1992||Canon Eamonn Dillane||Michael Noonan|
|1993||Canon Eamonn Dillane||Michael Noonan|
|1994||James Costello||Michael Noonan|
|1995||James Costello||Patrick Hogan|
|1996||James Costello||Patrick Hogan|
|1997||James Costello||Patrick Hogan|
|1998||Anthony O’Keeffe||Thomas Lane|
|1999||Anthony O’Keeffe||Thomas Lane|
|2000||Canon Anthony O'Keefe||Thomas Lane|
|2001||Canon Anthony O'Keefe||Thomas Lane|
|2002||Canon Anthony O'Keefe||Thomas Lane|
|2003||Canon Anthony O'Keefe||Thomas Lane|
|2004||Canon Anthony O'Keefe|
|2005||Canon Anthony O'Keefe||John Mockler|
|2006||Canon Anthony O'Keefe||John Mockler|
|2007||Canon Anthony O'Keefe||John Mockler|
The list of Priests from 1704 to 1836 is compiled from information gained in Begley's History of the Diocese of Limerick Vol. III page 598. The remaining years are compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year. For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design