At the request of Bishop Ryan, the Redemptorists came to Limerick in 1851
to give a mission in St John's Church. In May 1852, the Redemptorists
gave another mission in St Michael's church. By 1853, the Redemptorists
had moved to Ireland permanently. Their first house in Ireland was situated
in Bank Place. They converted a room in Bank Place to a chapel and this
chapel was opened on 8 December 1853. They had a temporary chapel in Upper
Henry St. in 1854. This chapel took 6 weeks to build and cost £800.
It was used until the opening of the present church.
The rector, Fr Louis de Buggemoms decided a permanent residence was needed.
Bishop Ryan laid the foundation stone of the church in Mount St Alphonsus
on 22 May 1858. Bishop Butler dedicated the church to St Alphonsus on
7 December 1862. The builder was Mr. Wallace under the supervision of
William Corbett while the architect was Thomas Hardwick. The church cost
£17,000 to build.