The town of Rathkeale is situated about 14 miles from Limerick City, on the N21 that runs from Limerick to Tralee. Together with the town of Newcastlewest, it is one of the two main centres in the west of the diocese. The importance of Rathkeale as a centre can be traced back to the foundation of an Augustinian priory in the town in 1289. Its location on the river Deel added to its influence in the area. The arrival of the Palatines also contributed to the development of Rathkeale.
The Palatines were Lutheran refugees who fled from the Rhenish Palatinate of Germany due to an invasion by the French. They came to the area in 1708-09 under the patronage of Lord Southwell. Approximately twelve hundred Palatines came to settle in the area and their new ideas in farming were a large contributing factor to the development of the town. Rathkeale was also a major market town for the area and held seven fairs throughout the year.
The name Rathkeale comes from the Irish 'Ráth Caola' and it is believed to be derived from Ráth gCaeli, which means "the fort of the Caeli" or "the Rath of Caola". The Caeli were a Celtic tribe who came from this area of Limerick. The parish of Rathkeale is made up of the old parishes of Rathnasaire and Kilcoleman.
The Earls of Desmond used Rathkeale as a base. Castle Matrix was the principal stronghold of the Desmonds in the area and was built in or around 1410 by the Fitzgeralds of Desmond. In October 1580, two famous visitors came to stay at Castle Matrix. They were the poets Edmund Spenser and Walter Raleigh.
Sir Nicholas Malby burned the town of Rathkeale in 1579 after he defeated the forces of John, Earl of Desmond. John and his forces fled to Rathkeale from Manister where Malby had earlier defeated the Irish.
Captain Walter Raleigh ambushed the Irish, who were about to plunder what was left of the English camp once the troops had left. He received the freedom of the town in 1580, as a reward. Raleigh also repaired the castles at Rathkeale (Desmond's) and Matrix. The lands of the Munster Geraldines were in the main divided up amongst Spenser, Raleigh and Edmund Southwell. Raleigh gave some 'Virginia Tubers' as a present to Southwell. Southwell planted the tubers in the land around Castle Matrix and, in 1610, the crop was distributed throughout the province of Munster.
In 1654 Cromwell fixed the town as the place for the election of the counties of Limerick, Cork and Kerry for his parliament. However, Cromwell changed his mind on this point when the town refused to supply his army with sufficient provisions of food.
In the past church appointments were sometimes challenged by the local gentry. In 1748 the parish priest Fr. James Moore died. Henry Southwell lead opposition to the appointment of a number of priests by Dr. Lacy and finally the position of parish priest was successfully held by David Bourke who lived in the parish until his death in 1762.
In 1846 a hoard of coin was discovered in Rathkeale. These
coins were minted during the reign of Edward III (1327-1377). It is believed
that the coins may have been part of the spoils of the O'Briens victory at
Monasteranenagh in 1370.
The present church in the town is dedicated to St Mary. J.J. McCarthy of Dublin designed the church in a Gothic-revival style during James O'Shea's term as parish priest from 1864 to 1877. However, Fr O'Shea died in 1877 and did not get to see the spire. The tower and spire of the church were completed in 1881 by Archdeacon Halpin, who dedicated them to the memory of his predecessor James O'Shea. The church bell was installed in 1882. The architect of the church, J. J. McCarthy, was also the architect of the church of SS Peter and Paul in Kilmallock, which was built in 1878.
A large marble plaque by the right side door mentions all the donors and their donations to the church. The Magnor family donated the site of the church and the graveyard. Patrick Hartigan and his family donated the Stations of the Cross to the church in 1874.
There are three plaques in the church, one of which commemorates Dean Costello's 70 years as a priest, while the other two are in memory of two former parish priests of Rathkeale; William Molony who died on November 7th 1901 and Archdeacon Halpin who was parish priest from 1877 until his death in 1884, aged 74. At the back of the church on the right there is a mosaic of the Angel Gabriel that was given to the church by General and Mrs. Lloyd of Beechmount. The mosaic was given in memory of their only child T. H. Eyre who was a Captain of the Coldstream Guards. Eyre was killed at Brakeenlaagte; Transvaal, South Africa during the Boer War on October 31st 1901, aged 30.
Inside the church on the left there is a shrine to Jesus on the Cross. A three-sectioned stained glass window was erected in 1973 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the opening of Rathkeale church. The three sections depict (from left to right) the keys of Heaven, the Holy Spirit and the Body and Bread.
The next stained glass window is also in three sections and depicts the Queen of Heaven, Jesus and an Apostle, and the dove of peace/the Holy Spirit. Underneath the window a plaque asks people to pray for Nora McMahon and her family.
Another stained glass window shows scenes from the Rosary, which shows the Assumption of Mary into Heaven and the Resurrection of Jesus from the tomb in the left panel. The middle panel depicts Jesus on the mountain with Elijah and Moses and Pentecost Sunday. The right panel shows Mary, Queen of Heaven and the Ascension into Heaven. The inscription under the window asks that people pray for Minnie Madigan and her relatives.
Over the Confessional on the left-hand side, there is a large stained glass window that was the gift of a number of families in the parish. Again the stained glass window is divided into three sections. The left section has three levels which depict (from the top) St Matthew and St Mark, St John the Baptist and St Augustine and St Ambrose. The middle section shows St Dominic, St Patrick and St Liguori while the right section depicts St Luke and St John, St Helen and St Jerome and St Gregory.
Near this stained glass window, there are two plaques. The first plaque tells us that Patrick Hartigan and family gave the Stations of the Cross in 1874. There is also a plaque to Dean Canon Costello PP who was a Dean from 1964 until 1989 when he resigned both titles. The plaque also states that Dean Canon Costello celebrated 70 years as a priest on June 20 1995. Dean Costello died on June 17 1996. Over the plaque there is a picture of the Sacred Heart.
There is an altar to Sacred Heart at the top left of the church. Over the altar of the Sacred Heart, there is a stained glass window of Mary, Jesus and Joseph. To the left of the altar there is a stained glass window of the Annunciation and the Sacred Heart appearing to St Margaret Mary.
At the top of the church on the right there is an altar to the Virgin Mary. Also in the church there is an Adoration chapel. At the back of this small chapel there is a stained glass window of the Lamb of God that is to the memory of Dean Thomas Costello PP.
The High Altar depicts the Angel Gabriel visiting Mary, the crowning of Mary and the Nativity. There are a number of stained glass windows in the apse which are (from left to right) St Paula, St Jeanne de Chantal, St Marcella, St Charles Borromeo, the Immaculate Conception, St Thomas Aquinas, St Winifred, St Francis Xavier and St Margaret. Viscount Southwell donated this window
Murals underneath these stained glass windows depict a number of saints: St James the Great, St Francis, St Philip Nero, St Maria of Pisa, St John, St Anne, St Catherine, the Lamb of God with a flag, St David, St Susanna, St Thomas, St Mary Magdalene, St Robert, St Elizabeth and St Charles Borroma. This mosaic work was at the bequest of W. J. Hayes.
There are small stained glass windows to the right of the altar. They depict the Virgin Mary, St James the Greater, St Munchin and St George. Fr James O'Shea PP of Rathkeale donated these windows. There is a small stained glass window of an angel on either side of the altar.
The stained glass windows above the choir gallery show Christ the King in the small centre window with underneath (from left to right) St Patrick, St Bridget, St Bertha the Abbess and St William the abbot. Lord Emly, William Maunsell, donated the window in 1873.
On the right hand side of the church there is a stained glass window showing three scenes from Moses' life: Moses being found as a baby, the burning bush and the Ten Commandments. The inscription on the window is to Patrick Slattery and his family.
There is also a stained glass window in memory of Garda Peter Macauley and his wife Mary Josephine. The window shows the Sermon on the Mount. The parishioners erected a stained glass window of the Parable of the Farmer sowing seed to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Dean Thomas Costello who celebrated the 60th anniversary of his ordination in 1985.
James J. McCarthy, the architect of the church, also donated a stained glass window. On the left, this window depicts the Last Supper and Mary Magdalene washing the feet of Jesus. The middle panel shows the Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane and Jesus entering Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. The right window depicts Judas betraying Jesus with a kiss and the cutting off of the servant's ear. Underneath this scene there is a depiction of the Washing of the Feet at the Last Supper.
The large stained glass window in the right transept is divided in three sections with three levels to each section. The middle level shows St Brigid, the Blessed Virgin and St Timothy. The rest of the window shows the Twelve Apostles with the words of the Apostles Creed throughout the window.
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Dean Michael A. O'Donnell
P.P. Rathkeale 1901-1937
Died 1937, aged 82
Canon Cornelius Mangan
P.P. Rathkeale 1937 - 1948
Died June 26th 1948
Archdeacon W.J. Carroll
P.P. Rathkeale 1948 - 1964
Died June 2nd 1964
There are some older church sites in the parish. Ballyallinan church is better known as the church of Beinid or St Bernard's church. The site of this small church is near St. Bernard's well. The church is in good condition and an altar has been erected in the body of the church. Large crowds attend Mass when it is said here each year on August 20th, the feast day of St Bernard.
Rathnaseer church is about two miles south of Rathkeale. This ruin is overgrown by trees and bushes but it is still visible from the roadside. Westropp measured the nave and chancel in 1905 as 37 feet by 23 1/2 feet and 19 feet by 16 1/2 feet. In the past Rathnasser was a parish.
Robert Waspayl reputedly gave the church of Rathkeale to the abbey of Keynsham in Somersetshire between the years of 1212 and 1228. This church was burned by the English lead by Malby in 1579. The Protestant church was built in 1831 near the site of the former church.
Westropp also mentions a church called Kilcolman Superior
in the parish of Rathkeale. The townlands of Kilcolman East and West are also
in the parish of Knockaderry/Cloncagh. There was also a church in Kilsmattyre,
which according to Westropp, the Rev. J. Dowd said might have been 'Castlematrix'
near Rathkeale. However, no such church is now known.
The abbey is situated at the upper end of the Main St. and
was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary under the instructions of its founder
Gilbert Harvey and his descendant Eleanor Purcell. It was founded in 1289.
Augustinians from the Order of St Aroasia officiated at the Abbey. It was
claimed that in 1436, St. Mary the Virgin worked several miracles here. The
abbey was granted to Sir H. Wallop after the death of the prior of the abbey
Gerot Baluff in the Desmond Rebellion. The monastery was officially suppressed
in 1542 but it is thought that a small community of canons may have remained
there until 1581. The abbey is in good condition and Muintir na Tire renovated
it in 1970.
There is a large graveyard beside the church in Rathkeale. The oldest headstone that we came across dated from 1877. This headstone is dedicated to Fr James O'Shea who was a former parish priest of Rathkeale from 1864 until his death. The headstone is written in Latin and the date is written in roman numerals.
In the centre of the graveyard in Rathkeale there is a large cross. This Jubilee cross commemorates the mission that was given by the Passionist father in October 1875. The inscription on the cross also mentions the fact that it was the 30th year of the reign of Pope Pius IX.
There were two others headstones of interest that we came
across in Rathkeale. One headstone recalls the short life of Sean Finn, Brigadier
Commandant who was killed at Ballyhahill on the 30th of March 1921 at the
age of 22. There is a headstone that shows the resting-place of the late Dean
Costello, who was parish priest in Rathkeale from 1964 until his death in
On the road to Cappagh, there is a new graveyard that has been opened in the last few years. It is noted for the elaborate headstones erected by the travelling community. There was also a graveyard in Kilcolman still in use in 1840. Westropp mentions a burial place in the townland of Bealduvroga.
Both Catholics and Protestants are buried in the graveyard of the Anglican Church.
The oldest Catholic headstone that we found was dated from 1759 and was erected by John Clancy in memory of his father Richard Clancy, who died aged 40 on the 4th of August of that year.
There is a graveyard around the church in Rathnasser. The graveyard, like the church, is in a state of disrepair and is overgrown. However, there are still a number of headstones standing in the graveyard. The oldest headstone that we could read was from 1825 and it was to the memory of Joseph Ginnan who died on September 18 of that year aged 20.
In the parish of Rathkeale lies St Beinid's well. This well is sometimes called St Benedict's well, and according to Danaher it may be one and the same well as St Bernard's.
St Bernard's well is a large clear pool of water that is surrounded by ash trees. There are many different springs in the well that bubble up visibly into the pool, and locals say that the well has never dried up 'even in the warmest of summers'. The well is on the land of the Keating family and John Keating donated the altar that stands in the church ruin of St Beinid. Large crowds still visit the well on August 20th, the feast day of St Bernard, and on Good Friday.
It is claimed that water from the well can cure rheumatism, lameness and sore eyes. Rags can still be seen tied to the trees behind the well. Danaher also tells us that sometimes nails were driven into the trees as an offering. As with a large majority of wells in Limerick, legend says that the well moved when clothes were washed in it.
In the townland of Cloghanarold, there was a Holy Well called
Tobernawatha. This well used to be in the parish of Doondonnell. It was situated
about 400 yards from the ruins of Doondonnell church. Begley believed that
the well was dedicated to St Molua. The location of the well is now unknown.
As you leave the town of Rathkeale, there is a shrine to the
Virgin Mary that was erected in the Marian year of 1954.
Sean O'Driscoll came to live in Ireland in 1962 and restored Castle Matrix. The castle now has a library containing a collection of original documents relating to the "Wild Geese", who left these shores during the 17th and 18th centuries to serve in the armies of Europe. Castle Matrix's name may be derived from Caisleán Bhun Traísce but Sean O'Driscoll attributed the name to an association with the Matres or Matrone. The Matres were triple mother-goddesses of the Pagan Celts, a type of pre-Christian Trinity.
Sean O'Driscoll served in the U.S. Air Forces during WWII. In 1945 he engineered the first defection from behind the Iron Curtain, the escape of Theodore Wilhelm Schmidt. He served for a short time as aide to Brigadier-General Charles Lindbergh. O'Driscoll also worked with John Wheeler, who was the first to discover black holes and was the co-discoverer of Uranium 235 with Niels Bohr.
|English Name||Irish Name||Meaning|
|Abbeylands||Cluain na mBráthar||The meadow of the friars|
|Ardbohill||Ard Bhuachaill||High place of the herdsman|
|Ardnanean||Ard na n-Éan||The high place of the birds|
|Ardnaveagh||Ard na bhFiadh||The high place of the ravens|
|Ballyallinan North||Baile Uí Áilíonáin||The town of Ó hÁilíonáin|
|Ballyallinan South||as above|
|Ballybrown||Baile an Bhrúnaigh||The town of An Brúnach|
|Ballyea||Baile Uí Aodha||The town of Ó hAodha|
|Ballyea Wood||as above|
|Ballynamucky||Baile na Muicí||The town of the swineherds|
|Ballywilliam North||Baile Liaim||The town of Liam|
|Ballywilliam South||as above|
|Ballywilliam Demesne||as above|
|Ballywinterrourke||Baile Mhuintir Ruairc||The town of Muintir Ruairc|
|Ballywinterrourke Wood||as above|
|Bealduvroga||Béal Átha Dobhróige||The fordmouth of Dobhróg|
|Beechmount Demesne||Cnoc Feá|
|Blossomhill||Cnoc Bláithche||Hill of buttermilk|
|Castlematrix||Caisleán Bhun Tráisce||The castle of Bun Tráisce|
|Cloghanarold||Cloch an Araltaigh||The stone structure of An tAraltach|
|Cloghatrida||Cloch an Choitréadaigh||The stone structure of An Coitréadach|
|Courtmatrix||Cúirt Bun Tráisce||The court of Bun Tráisce|
|Curraghnadeely||Currach na Daoile||The wet land of An Daoil|
|Doonbeirne||Dún Beirn||The fort of Bearn|
|Dromard Demesne||An Drom Ard||The high ridge|
|Duckstown||Baile na Lathach||The town of the muddy place|
|Englishtenements||Tithe na Sasanach|
|Enniscouch||Inis Cuais||Island of the hollow|
|Graigue||An Ghráig||The hamlet|
|Islandboy||An tOileán Buí||The yellow island|
|Kilcoleman East||Cill Cholmáin||The church of Colmán|
|Kilcoleman West||as above|
|Kilcool||Coill Chúl||Meaning uncertain|
|Killeheen||Cill Eichín||The church of Eichín|
|Knockaunavad||Cnoc Bhan an Bháid||The hill of the lea-ground of the boat|
|Kyletuan||Coill tSeán||The wood of Seán|
|Moanwing||An Mhóin Bhán||The white bogland|
|Ranahan||Raithneachán||Place of bracken|
|Rathkeale||Ráth Caola||The rath of Caola|
|Rathkeale Commons||as above|
|Rathnaseer||Ráth na Saor||The rath of the craftsmen|
|Reens East||Roighne Thoir||Meaning uncertain|
|Riddlestown||Baile an Ridéalaigh||The town of An Ridéalach|
|Rylanes||Na Réileáin||The level tracts|
|Stoneville||Fearann Rí||Meaning uncertain|
|Wolfesburgess East||Burgáiste an Bhulbhaigh|
|Wolfesburgess West||as above|
|1704 – c.1719||James Stritch|
|c.1719 - 1748||James Moor|
|1748 - ?||Nicholas Molony|
|? - 1762||David Bourke|
|1762 - 1771||Laurence Nihill|
|1771 - 1779||Denis Conway|
|1780 - 1800||Thomas H. O’Sullivan|
|1800 - 1808||Denis Cronin|
|1808 - 1814||Charles Tuohy|
|1814 - 1822||John Lee|
|1822 - 1836||Thomas Hogan|
|1837||Thomas Hogan||Daniel McCoy|
|1838||Thomas Hogan||Daniel McCoy|
|1839||Thomas Hogan||Daniel Synan|
|1840||Thomas Hogan||Daniel Synan|
|1841||Thomas Hogan||Daniel Synan|
|1842||Thomas Hogan||Daniel Synan|
|1843||Thomas Hogan||Daniel Synan|
|1844||Thomas Hogan||Daniel Synan|
|1845||Thomas Hogan||Daniel Synan|
|1846||Thomas Hogan||Daniel Synan|
|1847||Thomas Hogan||Daniel Synan|
|1848||Thomas Hogan||Richard Noonan|
|1849||Richard Walsh||Richard Noonan|
|1850||Richard Walsh||Richard Nunan|
|1851||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Patrick Duhigg|
|1852||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Patrick Duhigg|
|1853||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Patrick Duhigg|
|1854||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Timothy Keane|
|1855||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Timothy Keane|
|1856||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Timothy Keane|
|1857||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Timothy Keane|
|1858||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Luke Glesson|
|1859||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Luke Glesson|
|1860||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Luke Glesson|
|1861||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Luke Glesson|
|1862||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Luke Glesson|
|1863||Archdeacon Michael Fitzgerald||Luke Glesson|
|J. L. Roche|
|1864||James Raleigh||James Moran|
|1865||James O’Shea||John O’Sullivan|
|1866||James O’Shea||John O’Sullivan|
|J. L. Roche|
|1867||James O’Shea||J. L. Roche|
|1868||James O'Shea||James L. Roche|
|1869||James O’Shea||James Molony|
|1870||James O’Shea||James Molony|
|1871||James O’Shea||James Molony|
|1872||James O’Shea||James Potter|
|1873||James O’Shea||James Potter|
|1874||James O’Shea||James O’Shea|
|1875||James O’Shea||James O’Shea|
|1876||James O’Shea||James O’Shea|
|1877||James O’Shea||James O’Shea|
|1878||John Halpin||Edward Russell|
|1879||John Halpin||Edward Russell|
|1880||John Halpin||Michael Potter|
|1881||John Halpin||Michael Potter|
|1882||John Halpin||Michael Potter|
|1883||John Halpin||Michael Potter|
|1884||John Halpin||Michael Potter|
|1885||John Halpin||Michael Potter|
|1886||Archdeacon John Halpin||Thomas Liston|
|1887||Archdeacon John Halpin||Thomas Liston|
|1888||Archdeacon John Halpin||Thomas Liston|
|1889||Archdeacon John Halpin||Thomas Liston|
|1890||Archdeacon John Halpin||Thomas Liston|
|1891||Archdeacon John Halpin||Thomas Liston|
|1892||Archdeacon John Halpin||Thomas Liston|
|1893||Archdeacon John Halpin||Thomas Liston|
|1894||Archdeacon John Halpin||Thomas Liston|
|1895||William Molony||Thomas Liston|
|1896||William Molony||Thomas Liston|
|1897||William Molony||Thomas Liston|
|1898||William Molony||Thomas Liston|
|1899||William Molony||Jeremiah Murphy|
|1900||William Molony||Jeremiah Murphy|
|1901||William Molony||Jeremiah Murphy|
|1902||Michael O’Donnell||Jeremiah Murphy|
|1903||Michael O’Donnell||Jeremiah Murphy|
|1904||Michael O’Donnell||Jeremiah Murphy|
|1905||Michael O’Donnell||Jeremiah Murphy|
|1906||Michael O’Donnell||Jeremiah Murphy|
|1907||Michael O’Donnell||Jeremiah Murphy|
|1908||Michael O’Donnell||Jeremiah Murphy|
|1909||Michael O’Donnell||John Connolly|
|1910||Michael O’Donnell||John Connolly|
|1911||Michael O’Donnell||John Connolly|
|1912||Michael O’Donnell||Arthur O’Leary|
|1913||Canon Michael O’Donnell||Arthur O’Leary|
|1914||Canon Michael O’Donnell||Arthur O’Leary|
|1915||Canon Michael O’Donnell||Arthur O’Leary|
|1916||Canon Michael O’Donnell||Arthur O’Leary|
|1917||Canon Michael O’Donnell||Arthur O’Leary|
|1918||Canon Michael O’Donnell||Arthur O’Leary|
|1919||Canon Michael O’Donnell||Arthur O’Leary|
|1920||Canon Michael O’Donnell||Arthur O’Leary|
|1921||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||Arthur O’Leary|
|1922||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||Arthur O’Leary|
|William P. Harty|
|1923||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||William P. Harty|
|1924||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||William P. Harty|
|1925||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||Timothy Murphy|
|1926||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||Timothy Murphy|
|J. J. Lane|
|1927||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||Timothy Murphy|
|J. J. Lane|
|1928||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||Timothy Murphy|
|J. J. Lane|
|1929||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||J. J. Lane|
|1930||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||J. J. Lane|
|1931||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||J. J. Lane|
|1932||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||J. J. Lane|
|1933||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||J. J. Lane|
|1934||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||Michael O’Brien|
|1935||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||Michael O’Brien|
|1936||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||Michael O’Brien|
|1937||Mgr. Michael O’Donnell||Michael O’Brien|
|1938||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Patrick Lynch|
|1939||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Patrick Lynch|
|1940||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Patrick Lynch|
|1941||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Patrick Lynch|
|1942||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Patrick Lynch|
|1943||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Patrick Lynch|
|1944||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Timothy Culhane|
|1945||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Timothy Culhane|
|1946||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Daniel O’Callaghan|
|1947||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Thomas Costelloe|
|1948||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Thomas Costelloe|
|1949||Canon William J. Carroll||Thomas Costelloe|
|1950||Canon William J. Carroll||Thomas Costelloe|
|1951||Canon William J. Carroll||Thomas Costelloe|
|1952||Canon William J. Carroll||Thomas Costelloe|
|1953||Canon William J. Carroll||Thomas Costelloe|
|1954||Canon William J. Carroll||Thomas Costelloe|
|1955||Canon William J. Carroll||Thomas Costelloe|
|1956||Canon William J. Carroll||Thomas Costelloe|
|1957||Canon William J. Carroll||Gerard Enright|
|1958||Canon William J. Carroll||Gerard Enright|
|1959||Canon William J. Carroll||Gerard Enright|
|1960||Canon William J. Carroll||Gerard Enright|
|1961||Canon William J. Carroll||Gerard Enright|
|1962||Canon William J. Carroll||Gerard Enright|
|1963||Archdeacon William J. Carroll||Gerard Enright|
|1964||Archdeacon William J. Carroll||Gerard Enright|
|1965||Thomas Costelloe||Patrick Fitzgerald|
|1966||Canon Thomas Costelloe||Patrick Fitzgerald|
|1967||Canon Thomas Costelloe||Patrick Fitzgerald|
|1968||Canon Thomas Costelloe||Patrick Fitzgerald|
|1969||Canon Thomas Costelloe||Patrick Fitzgerald|
|1970||Canon Thomas Costelloe||David Wall|
|1971||Canon Thomas Costelloe||David Wall|
|1972||Canon Thomas Costelloe||David Wall|
|1973||Canon Thomas Costelloe||John Irwin|
|1974||Canon Thomas Costelloe||John Irwin|
|1975||Canon Thomas Costelloe||John Irwin|
|1976||Canon Thomas Costelloe||John Irwin|
|1977||Canon Thomas Costelloe||John Irwin|
|1978||Canon Thomas Costelloe||John Irwin|
|1979||Canon Thomas Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1980||Canon Thomas Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1981||Canon Thomas Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1982||Canon Thomas Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1983||Canon Thomas Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1984||Canon Thomas Costelloe||Anthony Elliott|
|1985||Canon Thomas Costelloe||Maurice Costello|
|1986||Dean Thomas Costelloe||Maurice Costello|
|1987||Dean Thomas Costelloe||Maurice Costello|
|1988||Dean Thomas Costelloe||Maurice Costello|
|1989||Dean Thomas Costelloe||Maurice Costello|
|1990||David MacNamee||Maurice Costello|
|1991||Canon David MacNamee||Maurice Costello|
|1992||Canon David MacNamee||Maurice Costello|
|1993||Canon David MacNamee||Maurice Costello|
|1994||Canon David MacNamee||Muiris O’Connor|
|1995||Canon David MacNamee||Patrick O’Sullivan|
|1996||Canon David MacNamee||Patrick O’Sullivan|
|1997||Canon David MacNamee||Patrick O’Sullivan|
|1998||Canon David MacNamee||Patrick O’Sullivan|
|1999||Joseph Dempsey||Patrick O’Sullivan|
|2000||Joseph Dempsey||William Russell|
|2001||Canon Joseph Dempsey||William Russell|
|2002||Canon Joseph Dempsey||William Russell|
|2003||Canon Joseph Dempsey||William Russell|
|2004||Canon Joseph Dempsey||William Russell|
|2005||Canon Joseph Dempsey||William Russell|
|2006||Canon Joseph Dempsey||William Russell|
|2007||Canon Joseph Dempsey||William Russell|
The list of Priests from 1704 to 1836 is compiled from information gained in Begley's History of the Diocese of Limerick Vol. III page 598. The remaining years are compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year. For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design