The village of Patrickswell is situated on the N20 that runs between Limerick and Newcastlewest. According to Mainchín Seoighe, the present day parish of Patrickswell/Ballybrown is made up parts of the pre-Reformation parishes of Kilkeedy, Killonahan, Mungret, Croom, and Adare. Until the middle of the 18th century, the parishes of Kilkeedy and Clounanna were joined with Adare. When the parish of Patrickswell was formed Kilkeedy and Clounanna became part of the new parish. The first parish priest of the new parish was Fr Nicholas Molony. The present population of the parish is about 3,400 people.
The village of Patrickswell did not appear on maps until the
early years of the 19th century. However, the name Patrickswell was contained
in a document from 1689 in a list of lands owned by Thomas Rose. Rose was
the owner of a large track of land in the area. Local historian Gerard Beggan
believes that Rose gave Patrickswell its name.
The castle at Carrigogunnell towers over the north of the parish and is two miles north of the village of Clarina. The Norman William de Burgo first built a castle here. He had married into the O'Briens, who were the Kings of Munster. It then became the property of the Earls of Kildare but was again under the control of the O'Brien's by 1536.
Brien Dhubh O'Brien was regranted the castle in 1584 after he had surrendered the castle and the Confederates took possession of the castle from 1642 to 1648. It survived many battles until it was blown up in 1691 by the Williamites to prevent it being ever used again as a fortress for Irish attacks.
Carrigogunnell is translated into Irish as Carraig Ó gConaing, which means 'The Rock of the O Conaings'. The O Conaings were the pre-Norman lords of the area. Alternatively, it can be translated as Carraig Ó gCoinneall, meaning 'the rock of Uí Choinneall'. Some people thought that the word coinneal (the Irish for candle) formed the end of the name Carrigogunnell. Hence the belief that Carrigogunnell means 'the Rock of the Candle'.
To explain how this name came about, a story was invented. A witch lived on the rock and each evening she lit a candle on top of the castle. Anyone who saw this light died immediately. When St Patrick blessed the well in Patrickswell, he stood on high ground and looked towards Carrigogunnell. When night fell and the light appeared from the castle, Patrick began to read from his book. He closed his book and as soon as he did, the light in the castle was quenched forever.
A couple of hundred feet south-east of Attyflin House, there was a small mound known as Kyle. Tradition has it that this is the grave of warriors killed in a battle between the Danes and Brian Boru. Westropp says the Kyle was 10 feet high and covered with bushes. The exact location of the Kyle is no longer known. It was destroyed in the 1850s.
According to Lewis, 'a meteoric stone weighing 56 lb fell
in the demesne of Faha' and was in the possession of a Mr. Tuthill. This stone
is in the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin.
The church in Patrickswell is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Bishop Jeremiah Newman and Fr William Creed P.P officially opened the church on June 9th 1977. The architects were John Thompson & Partners and Patrick Healy was the builder. The McSweeney family gave the site for the church and the Presbytery. The McSweeneys also gave the altar and ambo as a gift. The church was re-roofed in 1994.
The stained glass window on the left depicts the Sacred Heart while the stained glass window on the right shows the Virgin Mary. At the back of the church on the left-hand side there is a statue to St Anne, while to the right of the altar, there is a statue to Virgin Mary.
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Parish Priest 1841-1867
Canon Robert Kirby
Parish Priest 1896-1924
Archdeacon Denis O'Brien
Parish Priest 1948-1962
Parish Priest 1962-1980
Parish Priest 1980-1988
The church in Ballybrown is dedicated to St Joseph. It was built in the period 1829 - 1840 but the exact date is unknown. Ballybrown church was originally a thatched building. A headstone to Fr Downes was found in Ballybrown church grounds in 1986. Fr Downes died on December 14th 1840 after being thrown from his horse. However, we found no such headstone in the grounds of the church.
Behind the high altar of the church there is a stained glass window of the raising of Lazarus, which was donated by Mrs Norah Mulqueen, a native of Corcamore who died on 2 March 1910. To the left of the high altar, there is a statue of St Joseph, while to the right, there is a statue of the Queen of Heaven. In the left aisle of the church, there is a statue of the Sacred Heart and the baptismal font is also in this aisle. In the right aisle of the church, there is a shrine to the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Buried in the grounds of the church:
Patrick G. Cregan,
Died 11 June 1927, aged 16 months
Died 27 May 1879
Mother of Fr. George O'Connor PP, Patrickswell
There was a mass house in Ballyanrahan West near Patrickswell village. In 1840, it was a thatched building. While nothing of the house remains today, the site is known. In 1847 a new church was built in Lurriga and this was used as the parish church until the building of the present day church. The land was bought from Captain George Tuite. The church building is still standing and is now used as business premises.
Mainchín Seoighe's "County Limerick - Its People and Places" says that the church in Kilkeedy was built in honour of the saint, St Caoide, whose feastday was on October 25th. However, Westropp mentions in his "Survey of the Ancient Churches in the County of Limerick" that the church was dedicated to St Simon & St Jude, whose feast day falls on October 28th. This church was dated from the early 13th century and nothing remains of it today.
A second church was built in the 17th century in Kilkeedy and there was a thatched roof on the church in 1615. The site of this church was where the new wall around the graveyard was recently built.
Nowadays, the only ruins here are of a Protestant church that was built in the 19th century. Westropp visited the church in 1905 but all that remained was the north wing, which were 29 feet north, and south and 18 feet wide.
There is also a church ruin in Cloonanna. This church dates from the 13th century. Mass was said at Cloonanna in 1998 for the first time in around 400 years according to Monsignor Lane.
The church in Esclon was on the site of Carrigogunnell and
was merged into the parish of Kilkeedy in 1419. Westropp stated that the church
in Newton could be also be the church in Esclon. The church was dedicated
to St Margaret and is referred to as St Margaret's church in some books. The
feastday of St Margaret's church was July 20th. The ruins were situated near
the Shannon River.
However, there are also ruins in the place known as Churchfield estate. The ruins are now covered by ivy. These ruins are known locally as St Margaret's church, but it is unclear whether they had any connection with St Margaret's church in Newtown.
There was a church called Killeen in an area known as Church Park. The church was Celtic church. While the site is still pointed out, nothing remains of the church as when the river was widened, the Board of Works removed the remains of the church. We spoke to one local man Bill Davoren who remembered seeing the outline of the church when he was young. Mr Davoren also told us that the mass paths that the people travelled to reach the church are still easily seen. According to Sheehan's A Corner of Limerick, Killeen and Church Park are two separate churches.
There are also a number of churches of which we could find no ruins. There are no remains of the church in Kiltemplan. There was also reputedly a church in Kilcolman, which was a parish in penal times. There was a church in Kilboy and a church in Kilnacally, which was believed to be in the townland of Elm Park. The sites of these churches are now forgotten.
There was also a church in Killasragh that was named after St Lassara, a 6th century saint whose feastday was on March 29th. On the same site, there was a killeen but the site was levelled over a century ago.
According to Sheehan, there was also a church in Kilcornan in the land of a Mr McSweeney. About 500 yards to the left of Kilcornan graveyard, there is a large building that Mr McSweeney thought might have been the church to which we referred. The structure of the building seems to be mainly intact but we were unable to enter the building to determine if it was a church.
There was a church near the old filling station in Garranore
that was on the lands of Walter Quirke. He took the stones of the church away
to built a house to Killaloe. No one knows where exactly the site of this
church was. We would like to thank George Quain of Garranore for this information.
A new graveyard was opened on the outskirts of the village of Patrickswell in 1991.
Kilkeedy graveyard is located beside the old Kilkeedy Church of Ireland church. There is a tradition in Kilkeedy graveyard that coffins are laid on the raised footpath outside the wall of the graveyard and prayers are said there before proceeding to enter the graveyard.
There are two different explanations offered for this practice. One was that Roman Catholics said prayers outside the Protestant graveyard and the second reason was that the Roman Catholics had to get on their knees to ask the landlord for the right to be buried in Kilkeedy. There are tombs to the Copper family of Copperhill, Lord Emly and the Massey family within this graveyard, and there is a third unnamed tomb to the left of the church that has AD 1865 written on it.
A new section has been added to the graveyard. In the older section of the graveyard, there are a lot of simple stone markers as headstones. The oldest headstone that we found was to Laurence Madden, who died August 21st 1748, aged 48.
Clounanna graveyard is located on a hilltop, with a striking view of the surrounding countryside. In the graveyard, there are two prominent headstones side by side. Although the writing on the headstones has faded away, Monsignor Lane informed us that they were the graves of Fr Cronin and Fr Bray, who were both parish priests in the parish. Fr Cronin died in 1795 and was the first burial in the graveyard.
The oldest headstone that we could read was from the year 1812 and was to the memory of Michael Dundon, who died on October 11th of the same year, aged 18.
The grounds of St Margaret's church were used as a burial ground for unbaptized children in 1840 but for how long this practice continued is unclear.
There are a number of other graveyards in the parish. Near
St James' well, there is a Killeen but the location is unknown. Killasragh
was the name of a burial ground for children & adult strangers in the
townland of Ballybronoge South. In Church Park there was also a burial ground
adjoining the church.
Kilcornan graveyard is in the townland of Ballyanrahan and there are two vaults to the Rose family here, one of which is dated as 1695. The inscription on the tomb states that Thomas Rose, Mayor of Limerick is buried here. Stone markers have been used to mark some of the graves. This graveyard is on the lands of Dan McSweeney and, according to Mr McSweeney, the last burial to take place here was in 1911. The graveyard is within a grove of trees on a patch of raised ground. There is a wall around the graveyard and to enter the graveyard, you must climb over a stile on which the year 1402 is etched into the stone.
There was also a children's graveyard in the townland of Garranroe
at a place called Crann Cam or the Crooked Tree.
There are three Holy Wells in the parish. St Patrick's well is in centre of the Patrickswell village. Danaher lists the well as being located in the parish of Kilkeedy. The well is enclosed by three walls and is easily accessible as it is just off the main road through the village. A concrete slab now covers the well. Through an opening in the slab, you can see the water flowing underneath. There is a carving of St Patrick on the well since around 1830.
The carving depicts St Patrick with a serpent under his feet, a book in his left hand and a triple cross in his right hand. On the left of the stone, the inscription "Erected by Thomas McNamara & S. Breay" is in Roman letters. The reason why McNamara and Beary were honoured with their names on a plaque is unclear but the suggestion given in some books is that they were stonemasons.
A story tells of how the wives of troops who were stationed in Patrickswell desecrated the well in 1798. The commanding officer also broke the stone of the well. After their actions the well dried up. The water was claimed to cure sores, toothache and the water was sprinkled on crops and milk churns. Devotions ceased around 1890 when a pump was erected over the well. This pump has now been removed.
People in the area used the well until the 1940s when an epidemic of typhoid fever occurred in the area. Locals feared that the well was the source of contamination and stopped taking water from the well.
The other well in the parish is in the townland of Tervoe and is called St James' well. Danaher describes the well as being surrounded by elder, ash and whitethorn trees. The water is believed to cure sore eyes and headaches. Pebbles were used to count the rounds and a pattern used to be held on July 25th.
Some of the legends about the well are similar to those of other wells in the diocese. The water will not boil, the well moved when cursed and those who are about to be cured see a fish. One interesting legend is that during a faction fight on pattern day, St James appeared and the fighting stopped.
Today the well is visible from the roadside. The well is covered by a large grate and is near a stream that flows under the road. A large tree denotes the location of the well. However, no devotions take place here anymore.
Danaher also includes a well that was formerly in the parish
of Croom in the townland of Lissaleen. This well is called Sunday's well and
was filled in around 1880. The well was in a farmyard and an elm tree marked
the site. In the roots of the tree there was a slab on which the following
was inscribed: IHS 1760 THOMAS BANKS. It is believed to have been erected
by a man who was cured of blindness here. Danaher wrote that the peasantry
said the stations here on a Sunday.
There is a grotto to Our Lady in the village of Patrickswell.
There is also a Lourdes Grotto in the parish that is in townland of Tervoe. Berthe de Montiguy was the second wife of William Monsell, who was given the title of Lord Emly in 1874. Lady Emly was from a French Catholic family. The grotto is believed to be the first Lourdes Grotto in the country.
This grotto is located on the lands of Copperhill Farm. It is situated in an enclosure of a wooded area of the farm and a stream runs around the grotto. There are two statues at the grotto that are placed within a specially built cave-like formation. A statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is above a statue of the Our Lady of Lourdes.
To the right of these statues, there is a large cross which bears the following inscription:
Pray for the soul of Berthe Lady Emly who erected this
grotto in honour of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and of Our Lady of Lourdes
Nov IV MDCCCLXXXX
(4 November 1890)
On the day that we visited the grotto, flowers were placed
at the grotto so locals must still visit the grotto.
The townland of Attyflin is translated as the site of Flan's house. This area is called after a local character called Flan O'Brien who had a castle here around 1540. Flan had a colourful lifestyle and was a supporter of the monks of Manister. The monks disapproved of Flan's behaviour but they still got their beef from his farm.
One day, Flan was not in good humour and sent a mocking note to the abbot of the monastery telling him that if his faith was worth anything, the promise would weigh as much as the beef. The abbot weighed the beef against the note of paper in front of Flan's messenger.
The piece of paper was heavier than the beef and the messenger went back to Flan and told him what happened. Flan raced to the monastery to see the weighing scales with his own eyes and once he did, he confessed his sins and became a monk in the monastery. Flan lived to be a great age and died in the monastery as an old man.
|English Name||Irish Name||Meaning|
|Attyflin||Áit Tí Flainn||The house-site of Flann|
|Ballyanrahan East||Baile Uí Anracháin||The town of Ó hAnracháin|
|Ballyanrahan West||as above|
|Ballybronoge North||Baile na mBruthnóg||The town of the smelt furnaces|
|Ballybronoge South||as above|
|Ballybrown||Baile an Bhrúnaigh||The town of An Brúnach|
|Ballycarney||Baile Uí Chearnaigh||The town of Ó Cearnaigh|
|Ballycarrane||Baile Uí Chorráin||The town of Ó Corráin|
|Ballyfookon||Baile Phúcúin||The town of Púcún|
|Ballygeale||Baile Uí Ghéill||The town of the hostage|
|Ballyveloge||Baile Bhológ||Meaning uncertain|
|Barnakyle||An Bhearna Chioll||The gap of hazel|
|Carrig East||An Charraig||The rock|
|Carrig West||as above|
|Clarina||Clár Aidhne||The flat place of Aidhne|
|Corcamore||Corcach Mhór||Big marsh|
|Carrigogunnell||Carraig Ó gCoinneall||The rock of Uí Choinneall|
|Cloghatacka||Cloch an tSeaca||The stone structure of the frost|
|Cloonaduff||Cluain Eanaigh Dhubh||Meadow of the black marsh|
|Cloonanna||Cluain Eanagh||Meadow of the marsh|
|Cragbeg||An Chraig Bheag||The small rock|
|Creggane||An Creagán||The rocky place|
|Elmpark Demesne||Cill na Caillí||The church of the nun|
|Faha||An Fhaiche||The green|
|Fanningstown||Baile An Fhainínigh||The town of An Fainíneach|
|Fortetna||Cathair na Tanátha||The stone fort of the (unknown)|
|Garranroe||An Garrán Rua||The red grove|
|Glascurram||An Ghlaschluain||The green meadow|
|Gorteen||An Goirtín||The small field|
|Kilcolman||Cill Cholmáin||The church of Colmán|
|Killeen||An Cillín||The small church|
|Kiltemplan||Cill tSeampláin||The church of Semplán|
|Knockanes||Na Cnocáin||The hillocks|
|Liskilly||Lios Chúil na Beithe||The enclosure of the corner of the birch|
|Lurraga||An Lorga||The shin|
|Monearla||Móin an Iarla||The bogland of the earl|
|Newtown||Baile Nua||The new town|
|Rahina||Ráth Aidhne||The rath of Aidhne|
|Tervoe||Tír Bhú||The land of Bú|
|1704 – c.1740||Daniel Conry|
|c.1740 - 1759||Joseph Egan|
|1759 -?||Nicholas Molony|
|? - 1795||Nicholas Bray|
|1795 - 1807||Andrew Ryan|
|1807 - 1828||Jeremiah Cronin|
|1828 – 1836||William Downes|
|1837||William Downes||Patrick Cherry|
|1838||William Downes||Patrick Cherry|
|1839||William Downes||James O'Donnell|
|1840||William Downes||James O’Donnell|
|1841||William Downes||Richard Mulcahy|
|1842||James O’Rorke||James Hogan|
|1843||James O’Rorke||Richard Scott|
|1844||James O’Rorke||Richard Scott|
|1845||James O’Rorke||Richard Scott|
|1846||James O’Rorke||Richard Scott|
|1847||James O’Rorke||Richard Scott|
|1848||James O’Rorke||Richard Scott|
|1849||James O’Rorke||Richard Scott|
|1850||James O’Rorke||Richard Scott|
|1851||James O’Rorke||William O’Connor|
|1852||James O’Rorke||William O’Connor|
|1853||James O’Rorke||William O’Connor|
|1854||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1855||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1856||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1857||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1858||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1859||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1860||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1861||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1862||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1863||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1864||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1865||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1866||James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1867||Archdeacon James O’Rorke||George O’Connor|
|1868||George O'Connor||Thomas Benson|
|1869||George O'Connor||Thomas Nealon|
|1870||George O'Connor||Thomas Nealon|
|1871||George O'Connor||Thomas Nealon|
|1872||George O'Connor||Thomas Nealon|
|1873||George O'Connor||Denis McCarthy|
|1874||George O'Connor||Denis McCarthy|
|1875||George O'Connor||Denis McCarthy|
|1876||George O'Connor||Denis McCarthy|
|1877||George O'Connor||Denis McCarthy|
|1878||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1879||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1880||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1881||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1882||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1883||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1884||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1885||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1886||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1887||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1888||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1889||George O'Connor||Robert Kirby|
|1890||George O'Connor||R. O’Kennedy|
|1891||George O'Connor||R. O’Kennedy|
|1892||George O'Connor||R. O’Kennedy|
|1893||George O'Connor||R. O’Kennedy|
|1894||George O’Connor||J. Fitzgerald|
|1895||George O’Connor||J. Fitzgerald|
|1896||George O’Connor||J. Fitzgerald|
|1897||Robert Kirby||J. Fitzgerald|
|1898||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1899||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1900||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1901||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1902||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1903||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1904||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1905||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1906||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1907||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1908||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1909||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1910||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1911||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1912||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1913||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1914||Robert Kirby||Jeremiah O’Gorman|
|1915||Robert Kirby||John Rea|
|1916||Canon Robert Kirby||John Rea|
|1917||Canon Robert Kirby||John Rea|
|1918||Canon Robert Kirby||John Rea|
|1919||Canon Robert Kirby||John Rea|
|1920||Canon Robert Kirby||John Rea|
|1921||Canon Robert Kirby||John Rea|
|1922||Canon Robert Kirby||John Rea|
|1923||Canon Robert Kirby||John Rea|
|1924||Canon Robert Kirby||John Rea|
|1925||William Dwane||John Rea|
|1926||William Dwane||Thomas Connolly|
|1927||William Dwane||Cornelius O’Sullivan|
|1928||William Dwane||Cornelius O’Sullivan|
|1929||William Dwane||Cornelius O’Sullivan|
|1930||William Dwane||Cornelius O’Sullivan|
|1931||Canon William Dwane||Cornelius O’Sullivan|
|1932||T. Macnamara||David Barry|
|1933||T. Macnamara||David Barry|
|1934||T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1935||T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1936||T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1937||T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1938||T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1939||T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1940||T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1941||T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1942||Canon T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1943||Canon T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1944||Canon T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1945||Canon T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1946||Canon T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1947||Canon T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1948||Canon T. Macnamara||James Bluett|
|1949||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||James Bluett|
|1950||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||James Bluett|
|1951||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||James Bluett|
|1952||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||James Bluett|
|1953||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||James Bluett|
|1954||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||Daniel O’Keeffe|
|1955||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||Daniel O’Keeffe|
|1956||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||Daniel O’Keeffe|
|1957||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||Daniel O’Keeffe|
|1958||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||Daniel O’Keeffe|
|1959||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||Daniel O’Keeffe|
|1960||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||Daniel O’Keeffe|
|1961||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||Daniel O’Keeffe|
|1962||Archdeacon Denis O’Brien D.D.||Daniel O’Keeffe|
|1963||William Creed||John Burke|
|1964||William Creed||John Burke|
|1965||William Creed||John Burke|
|1966||William Creed||John Burke|
|1967||William Creed||Patrick Kelly|
|1968||William Creed||Patrick Kelly|
|1969||William Creed||Patrick Kelly|
|1970||William Creed||Patrick Kelly|
|1971||William Creed||Patrick Kelly|
|1972||William Creed||Patrick Kelly|
|1973||William Creed||Patrick Kelly|
|1974||William Creed||Patrick Kelly|
|1975||William Creed||Patrick Kelly|
|1976||William Creed||Patrick Kelly|
|1977||William Creed||Patrick Kelly|
|1978||William Creed||James Gilligan|
|1979||William Creed||James Gilligan|
|1981||Michael Frawley||James Gilligan|
|1982||Michael Frawley||James Gilligan|
|1983||Michael Frawley||James Gilligan|
|1984||Michael Frawley||James Gilligan|
|1985||Michael Frawley||James Gilligan|
|1986||Michael Frawley||James Gilligan|
|1987||Michael Frawley||Patrick Hogan|
|1988||Canon Michael Lane||Patrick Hogan|
|1989||Mgr. Michael Lane||Patrick Hogan|
|1990||Mgr. Michael Lane||Patrick Hogan|
|1991||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|1992||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|1993||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|1994||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|1995||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|1996||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|1997||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|1998||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|1999||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|2000||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|2001||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|2002||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|2003||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|2004||Mgr. Michael Lane||Brendan Murphy|
|2005||Mgr. Michael Lane||Michael Irwin|
|2006||Mgr. Michael Lane||Michael Irwin|
|2007||Muiris O'Connor||Mgr. Michael Lane|
The list of Priests from 1704 to 1836 is compiled from information gained in Begley's History of the Diocese of Limerick Vol. III page 598. The remaining years are compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year. For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design