© Patrickswell graveyard
A new graveyard was opened on the outskirts of the village
of Patrickswell in 1991.
© Kilkeedy graveyard
Kilkeedy graveyard is located beside the old Kilkeedy Church of Ireland
church. There is a tradition in Kilkeedy graveyard that coffins are laid
on the raised footpath outside the wall of the graveyard and prayers are
said there before proceeding to enter the graveyard.
There are two different explanations offered for this practice. One was
that Roman Catholics said prayers outside the Protestant graveyard and
the second reason was that the Roman Catholics had to get on their knees
to ask the landlord for the right to be buried in Kilkeedy. There are
tombs to the Copper family of Copperhill, Lord Emly and the Massey family
within this graveyard, and there is a third unnamed tomb to the left of
the church that has AD 1865 written on it. We have been informed that
the third tomb we refer to is the Massy (Lord Clarina) vault. An earlier
headstone has been located in Kilkeedy which was dedicated to Danl. O’Brien
who departed this life April 1700.
A new section has been added to the graveyard. In the older section of
the graveyard, there are a lot of simple stone markers as headstones.
The oldest headstone that we found was to Laurence Madden, who died August
21st 1748, aged 48.
© Clounanna graveyard
Clounanna graveyard is located on a hilltop, with a striking view of
the surrounding countryside. In the graveyard, there are two prominent
headstones side by side. Although the writing on the headstones has faded
away, Monsignor Lane informed us that they were the graves of Fr Cronin
and Fr Bray, who were both parish priests in the parish. Fr Cronin died
in 1795 and was the first burial in the graveyard.
The oldest headstone that we could read was from the year 1812 and was
to the memory of Michael Dundon, who died on October 11th of the same
year, aged 18. However, we have been informed that there is a headstone
to a David Punch who departed life February 1st 1791.
The grounds of St Margaret's church were used as a burial ground for
unbaptized children in 1840 but for how long this practice continued is
There are a number of other graveyards in the parish. Near St James'
well, there is a Killeen but the location is unknown. Killasragh was the
name of a burial ground for children & adult strangers in the townland
of Ballybronoge South. In Church Park there was also a burial ground adjoining
© Kilcornan graveyard
Kilcornan graveyard is in the townland of Ballyanrahan and there are
two vaults to the Rose family here, one of which is dated as 1695. The
inscription on the tomb states that Thomas Rose, Mayor of Limerick is
buried here. Stone markers have been used to mark some of the graves.
This graveyard is on the lands of Dan McSweeney and, according to Mr McSweeney,
the last burial to take place here was in 1911. The graveyard is within
a grove of trees on a patch of raised ground. There is a wall around the
graveyard and to enter the graveyard, you must climb over a stile on which
the year 1402 is etched into the stone.
There was also a children's graveyard in the townland of Garranroe at
a place called Crann Cam or the Crooked Tree.
© Rose Family Vault and Stone at the entrance to Kilcornan graveyard