© Kilrush Church Ruin
Kilrush church ruin is located on the North Circular Road
in a housing estate opposite Barrington's pier. The area around the church
was disturbed during the building of the housing estate. A steel frame
has been put in place to support the west wall. The west door has inclined
jambs and a large lintel. The east window has an unusual circular head
and splay arch. The stone window frame in the south wall dates from the
15th century. It was taken from the old Franciscan Abbey in St Mary's
Lane. Robert Vere O'Brien erected this window in Kilrush church in 1900.
This window is sometimes called the Quinlivan window.
During excavations, approximately 40 bodies were found buried beneath
the Quinlivan window. It is believed that these bodies were buried here
in the 16th or 17th centuries. The site is reputed to have been a children's