Diocese of Limerick Heritage Project Home Index Search Help

Introduction   Monagea  Churches

Monagea has had a long and interesting past. According to Tim Mulcahy, a hoard of Vikings swords was found in the area.

In 1394, Monagay, as it was then called, was under the control of the Archbishop of Cashel. The parish of Monagea has been reduced in size over the years, with parts of the old parish being incorporated into Templeglantine parish in 1864 and into the parish of Newcastlewest in 1833.

According to Art Ó Maolfabhail, Monagea is from the Irish Móin Achaidh Ghae, which means 'the bogland of the field of the spear'. However, it is generally agreed that Monagea is derived from the Irish Moín a Ghédh, which means 'The Bog of the Goose'. Locally the area is called Templenamona.

Heritage Project Home | Monagea Home | Back to Top

Introduction         Churches
Website by Lúnasa Design