© Manister church
The parish church in Manister is dedicated to Archangel
Michael. A plaque of dedication reads "Church of Michael Archangel,
Opened 13th January 1991, in the presence of apostolic Nuncio Emmanuel
Gerada Bishop Jeremiah Newman, James Costello, P.P."
The last mass in the old church was celebrated on the feast
of Our Lady of Lourdes, 11th February 1990. The first mass in the new
church was offered on the vigil of the feast of the Immaculate Conception,
7th December 1990.
There is a graveyard to the front and to the back of the
church. A water font on the right hand side of the church reads "John
Hanrahan, Doctor of Sorbonne, got this made in 1756, Pray for him".
There is a shrine to the front left of the church in Manister.
A wall from the old church, which dates from 1825, is preserved in front
of the church together with a cross from the old mass house, dating from
the early 1700's according to local tradition.
© Wall from original parish church
The church of St Michael was built in 1825. This church
was unusual in that it had a loft, which was used as a schoolhouse for
children of the parish. It is the remains of the wall of this church that
can now be seen in the churchyard of the present day parish church.
© Altar in Manister church
© Stained glass window in Manister church
Parishioners donated the Stations of the Cross. Inside the door, on the
right is a statue to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, which was erected
in memory of Kathleen (Cregan) Lyons, Cregane, Charleville, who died May
20th, 1932. Her husband and daughter erected the statue. A statue to the
Sacred Heart is on the left.
A plaque on the left of the altar states that Patrick Hayes, P.P., VF,
Burnie, Tasmania, Australia erected it in memory of his father and mother,
Patrick and Anne Hayes.
John Barry and his wife Mary of Kildonnell, Manister, donated the stained
glass windows on the right of the altar, in memory of their parents.
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
O'Gorman, Parish Priest, Died 22nd December 1916, Aged 55
John G. Fitzgerald,
P.P. for 24 years, Died 27th April 1914, Aged 74
17 years as C.C., 33 years as P.P. Died 9th June 1885, Aged 85
Home | Manister Home | Back