Kilmallock is situated at the meeting point of the R518 to Bruree, the R515 to Elton to the north-east and the R517 to Kilfinane. The population of the parish is around 2,300. The town of Kilmallock is steeped in history.
People have lived in or around Kilmallock for approximately 5,000 years. In 1986, two Neolithic houses were discovered in Tankardstown South that have been carbon dated to this period. The festival of Samhain was celebrated on the hill on Knocksouna.
The town of Kilmallock has its roots in the 13th century when the Normans came to the area and built a castle there in 1206. It soon rose to become the third most important town in the country. The Earls of Desmond, the Fitzgeralds, began using the town as their base and stronghold, contributing to its importance.
The Confederates took control of the town in 1642 under the leadership of Lord Mountgarret, Lord Purcell and Garret Barry but their success was short lived when the Cromwellians regained control of Kilmallock.
In 1690 the town was destroyed again during the Williamite war by the Jacobite forces under the command of Duke of Berwick. Kilmallock did not recover from this war until the beginning of the nineteenth century.
A large section of the old walls in Kilmallock remains, together with the last surviving town gate, Blossom Gate, and it is located in Emmet Street.
The name Kilmallock is derived from the local saint Mocheallóg,
who built a church on the hill that, today, overlooks the town. The present
day parish of Kilmallock consists of the former parishes of Tankardstown and
Ballingaddy along with some parts of the parishes of Bulgadine and Uregare.
A monastery near the river Lúbach replaced this church. This monastery
was first mentioned in 927AD in the Annals.
Kilmallock church is dedicated to SS. Peter & Paul. Building was commenced in 1879 when the Bishop of Limerick, Dr. George Butler laid the foundation stone on July 6th. K. B. Brazier who was a Protestant landholder from Mallow, Co. Cork, gave the site. Inside the foundation stone is a bottle that contains the coins that were in circulation in 1879. Thomas Downes was the parish priest for the duration of the building of the church. Fr Downes is buried in front of the high altar in the church.
The builder of the church was Michael Walsh of Foynes and the architect was J. J. McCarthy. The church was not opened to the public until 1889. The church was built on a site that was formerly an obscure back lane. Some of the stained glass windows in the new church are modeled on the windows in the abbey.
The stained glass windows can be seen behind the high altar
(13th century east window from the Dominican priory) and facing the sacristy
(15th century traceried window in the south transept of the priory). The stained
glass window at the back of the altar is to the memory of Fr Thomas Downes
who was parish priest from 1841 until his death in 1890. The church was reroofed
The church in Kilmallock is renowned for the mosaics that adorn it. These are styled in the fashion of the Victorian era and include the sanctuary ceiling, which has a striking design of leaves and flowers that are painted on wood.
At the left of the main altar there is a side altar to the Sacred Heart, which was donated by Mrs. Smyth of Glenfield in 1892 to the memory of her son and husband. Near this altar there is a stained glass window in memory of Fr Patrick Meehan who was parish priest from 1890 until 1904.
Stephen B. Walsh and his family gave the altar on the right hand side of the church. The stained glass windows near this altar are in memory of Fr Patrick O'Shea C.C. and Fr James O'Shea P.P. who were priests in the parish in the early years of the twentieth century. The parishioners donated the stations.
There is two stained glass windows are to the memory of Bishop William Turner, who was a native of Kilmallock and a bishop in Buffalo, USA from 1919 until 1936. These windows depict St. Munchin, St. William of York, St. John's Cathedral and York Cathedral. They also show the Dominican priory and Kilmallock.
On the left-hand side of the church, there is a Pieta that was given by Thomas O'Shaughnessy of Glenfield Road. Near the Pieta is a stained glass window to the three martyrs of their faith from the 16th century, Bishop Patrick O'Healy, Fr Conn O'Rourke and Fr Maurice Mac Enraghty.
In the church there is also windows to St. Ita, St. Munchin, St. Brigid and St. Mocheallóg. Maria Feore gave the church organ in memory of her brother Martin who was chorister in the church for 35 years. Kenneth Jones & Associates made the organ in 1935
In the grounds of the church in Kilmallock church, there is a large monument to William Henry O'Sullivan MP for Limerick County from 1874 until 1886 and his son John who was J. P., and died in 1898. The headstone is made from marble. The priests and people of Kilmallock and surrounding districts erected this monument.
Buried within the church are:
Died March 6 1890
Buried in the grounds of the church:
Canon Edward Looby
Died May 27 1995
Canon David Wall
Died October 13 1984
Patrick J. Houlihan
P.P. Queen of Peace 1975-1985
Died September 20 1985
(A native of the parish)
Diocese of Liverpool
Died July 31 1992
(A native of the parish)
Canon James Cowper
Died March 4 1975
Cornelius Mulcahy P.P.
Died April 20 1904, aged 84
Canon Michael Minahan
Died January 18 1984, aged 78
Diocese of Lancaster
Died March 8 1976
P.P. Dean of Wheeling Diocese, West Virginia
Died February 7 1965
C.C. St. Paul's Liverpool
Died September 20 1952, aged 35
P.P. Northam, Western Australia
Died August 8 1932.
Daniel O'Shea C.C.
Died October 7 1911, aged 48
Archdeacon James O'Shea
Died February 17 1927, aged 81
The second church in the parish is in Ballingaddy. This church was built in 1838. At the centenary of the church in 1938 an inscription to Mary was placed on the floor to commemorate the event. The inscription reads "MARIA: Sub tuo praesidio 1838-1938" which means 'Under your protection, O Mary'.
The church is dedicated to St. Mary and Mr. C. Sanders gave the site for the church. Inside the door of the church there is a list of the donors who donated various items to the church when it was it built. Mrs. Peg Watt gave the stained glass window of the Assumption of Our Lady.
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Canon Jeremiah O'Shea
Died October 30 1928,
Fr John O'Shea
P.P. St Mary's Church Adair, St Louis USA
Died October 6 1939,
(Both were natives of the parish and were brothers.)
The Dominican Friary or St. Saviour's Priory to give its proper title was established in 1291 when Gilbert Fitzgerald of the White Knights invited the Dominicans to the monastery that he had a built. The Fitzgeralds were the main benefactors of the friary and Maurice Fitzgerald was the main patron of the friary when it was enlarged in 1320. It is situated across the river Lúbach from the former parish church in Kilmallock.
The friars were forced to leave the area, as they had not sought the permission of the feudal lord of Kilmallock, the Bishop of the diocese. The church was built early in the 14th century and was a simple rectangular building. In or around 1320 a tower was built; a window was inserted in the south transept and an extension of the church to the south.
In 1541 the friars left the abbey when the monastery was dissolved and its lands and buildings confiscated. However, by around 1622, the monks returned to the priory.
Cromwellian forces under the leadership of Lord Inchiquin sacked the priory in 1648. The friars never really returned to the priory although some of the friars remained in the area in disguise and used the chalices for religious service. In 1756, there were only three fathers in Kilmallock. In 1790, the priory in Kilmallock was finally abandoned.
In 1639 three chalices were made for the convent in Kilmallock and inscriptions on all three mention the Burgatt family. There is a plaque to the Burgatt family in the choir of the priory. One of the chalices was given by Callaghan O'Callaghan includes a prayer for Maurice, son of Edward Fitzgibbon, the White Knight who died in 1608. Some of the chalices of the abbey have survived due to the fact that when the abbey was shut down,
In the centre of the choir of the church lies the tomb of the last White Knight, Edmund. The top of the tomb is broken in two and there is a small hollow in the tomb, caused by dripping water, which is called the braon shinsior. This is regarded as a mark of divine displeasure of the way Edmund treated his fellow Catholics.
For a more detailed description of the Dominican Priory in Kilmallock, there is a book by Arlene Hogan called "Kilmallock Dominican Priory".
There was a church in Kilmallock since around 1251, which is situated in Kilmallock graveyard and replaced St. Mocheallog's church as the parish church. The church was dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul in 1410 and the church was within the walls of the town.
Maurice Fitzgerald was behind the enlargement of this church in 1420. The door in the south wall dates from the 13th century and apart from the transept of the church, the building shows the characteristics of a 15th century due to the use of limestone in the building. A round tower was incorporated with the church when it was built. However, according to Barrow's The Round Towers of Ireland, the tower may have been part of the monastery, reputed to have been founded by the 7th century St Mo'cheallóg from whom the name is derived. Little is known of the early history of the monastery, and the tower is the only remaining relic of it.
This church became a Collegiate Church at the end of the 15th century or the start of the 16th century. The building was partly destroyed by Cromwell and has been roofless since 1657 according to Lewis.
At present FAS are renovating part of the church so because of the scaffolding we were unable to photograph and enter all of the church. Some of the headstones in the church date from the early 1600s.
A new Catholic Church was built in Kilmallock in 1814 to replace a penal age chapel that had been built on the lands of John O'Donnell. This church was built on a site between John's Castle and the river Lúbach. An extension to the church was added on before 1837. The former church of SS Peter and Paul was found to be unsuitable for the needs of the parish. It was built in 1794 and was built outside the walls of the town.
The church ruin in Tankardstown was dedicated to St. David of Wales on March 1st 1410. Westropp measured the ruin as 43 feet by 24 feet and stated that only fragments of the south, north and west walls remained. Today little remains of the St. David's church.
In "The Story of Kilmallock", Mainchín Seoighe
says that according to local tradition the church was thatched and burned
by a man named Collins. It is also believed that the church was used as a
place of Protestant worship until the middle of the 18th century.
The church ruin in Ardkilmartin was dedicated to St. Martin on November 11th 1410.
Westropp measured the church ruin in Ballingaddy as 39 feet 4 inches by 23 feet and 29 feet by 17 ½ feet. The church was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary in 1410. All that remains of the church now is the west gable and the sidewalls of the nave. This church was a thatched building that was built on land given by the Verdan family.
Prior to this church, there was a mass house in Ballingaddy. All that remains of this house is a brass candlestick that is around 300 years old. It is in the possession of the O'Grady family.
Mocheallóg built his church in 6th or 7th century (Spellissy/O'Brien dates it as 749) on the hill overlooking the town of Kilmallock. This church ruin now lies on the land of Noel Collins, who recently erected a cross on the ruin to show the site. All that remains of the church is a small rise in the field that is covered with grass.
Begley measured what remained of the ruin in 1906 as 22 ½ feet long and 12 feet 3 inches wide and the walls were about 3 feet thick. There was also reputedly a graveyard attached to the ruin. The feastday of St. Mocheallóg is March 26th.
Mocheallóg was from Cather-mac-Conchaigh, which was an ancient city of Lismore. A monastery grew up around the church
Westropp also mentions a church in Kilmihil to St. Michael
and a chapel 'between the bridge and St. John's gate' called St. John's gate
but the sites are now forgotten. According to "The Story of Kilmallock"
there was a church in Ardovelane, which is now known as Mountcoote, but the
location of the church is unknown today.
There are several graveyards in the parish. At the old SS. Peter & Paul church in Kilmallock, the church ground is still used as a graveyard and it is the main graveyard in the parish.
Tankardstown graveyard is on the site of a church ruin. The graveyard is still in use and a local committee keeps the graveyard in good condition. The oldest headstone that we came across was in memory of Mary Kennedy who died on March 6th 1757, at the age of 75.
Also buried in the graveyard is one of the founders of the GAA, J. K. Bracken from Ardvullen who died on May 2nd 1904. In 1984 Limerick GAA erected a plaque to his memory. In the graveyard there is also a tree that is believed to be 200-250 years old.
In Ardkilmartin graveyard there is also a church ruin. The graveyard is still used for burials and there is a large headstone to the Roche family. The oldest headstone that we found dates from 1704 and was erected to Mary Giany who died aged 70. The month on the headstone was indecipherable but the date was the 24th.
The graveyard in Ballingaddy is across the road from the church. In the graveyard there is a church ruin. There are a number of tombs in the graveyard, including a tomb to the Walsh family, dated 1846. The oldest headstone that we came across was in memory of Fr Denis Hase who died on November 16th 1767, aged 62.
In "Echoes of Ballingaddy" Catherine O'Mahony mentions the grave of John Flanagan in Ballingaddy graveyard. John Flanagan created 10 world records and won 3 Olympic Gold Medals in weight throwing. Mr. Flanagan's grave is by the west wall of the graveyard.
In the parish there is a Famine graveyard. During the Great Famine of 1845-1849, Kilmallock was the site of a famine workhouse. It is believed that up to 8,000 people were buried in the graveyard that died in either the workhouse or in the town itself. However, the graveyard was used as a burial place until around the 1920s for the poor of the area.
In June 1999, the President Mary McAleese opened the Famine
Memorial Park. A monument was unveiled to those who are buried here. The monument
is a large tower like structure with a cross and a plaque that gives the details
on the park. The sculpture was made from Kilkenny cut stone and the park was
grant aided by Ballyhoura Development Ltd. A number of trees have been planted
around the park.
According to Kevin Danaher's "The Holy Wells of Co. Limerick", there are a number of wells in the parish. All of the wells are in the Ballingaddy side of the parish.
St Michael's well is situated on the lands of Tom Hurley in Kilmihill. On the lands of Paddy Herbert, there are three Holy Wells called St Bridget's well, Tobereendoney and Lady's well. No devotions or traditions take place at any of the four wells anymore. We would like to thank Lil Mulvihill for helping us to locate these wells.
The Holy Well on the Tipperary road is also called Toberreendoney, which means 'the well of the King of the Sunday'. It is situated about ¼ mile from Kilmallock. The travelling community has maintained the well. The well is small and circular and is stone lined. Over the well there is a small statue of Our Lady in a small niche. There is also a wooden cross behind the well.
The water from the well is believed to cure sore eyes. Two legends are known about the well according to Danaher. Those who are cured of eye ailments see a trout in the well. In the 1930s a Kilmallock man, who had returned from America blind, was cured when he did the rounds there. Also a black dog appeared at the well and locally the well is called the 'Black Dog well'.
Danaher mentions three wells that he believed were not actually
Holy Wells. The well at Tankardstown South was near the church in Tankardstown
but the name is forgotten. The two other wells were Tobernaguppaun in Bawntard
South and Toberkinangle in Glenfield. We found no evidence of these wells.
In the parish there are two grottoes to Mary. One grotto is situated in the town of Kilmallock besides the curate's house. The second grotto is on the same hill as Cill Mocheallóg's first church.
On September 22nd 1992, Pope John Paul II beatified Bishop Patrick O'Healy, O.F.M. and Conn O'Rourke, O.F.M. Both were Franciscans. It is believed that O'Healy was a native of Dromahaire, County Leitrim and was born between 1543 and 1546. He spent his education in Rome, Paris and Spain. Pope Gregory XIII appointed O'Healy as Bishop of Mayo in July 1576.
Later Bishop O'Healy was in Portugal where he met up with James Fitzmaurice, who was trying to raise funds for a crusade to be sent to Ireland against the English. The Bishop changed his mind about taking part in the expedition but despite this, the English continued to assume that O'Healy was involved in the plot.
Conn O'Rourke joined up with Bishop O'Healy when he was on his way back to Ireland. It is thought that Conn originally came from Breifne, which was in Connacht. They both arrived in Sligo from France at the turn of 1576-7. At his execution in 1579, O'Rourke was around 30 years of age.
He also entered the religious life at Dromahaire. Both sailed from Brittany and landed in Smerwick. They went to Askeaton to meet the Earl of Desmond but with the absence of the earl, they had an audience with his wife, Eleanor instead.
Bishop O'Healy and O'Rourke set out for Connacht where they planned to do some pastoral work via Limerick. However, Eleanor had informed the English of their plans and they were captured in the city. They were then transferred to Kilmallock where they were then imprisoned.
O'Healy and O'Rourke never received a trial as such but there underwent several interrogations. O'Healy refused to acknowledge the Queen as the Supreme Head of the Church and stated that the Pope held this title. For this they were condemned to death. Bishop O'Healy was also tortured during his stay in Kilmallock jail. Both were hanged in Kilmallock on the 13th of August 1579. O'Healy was the first bishop to be killed by the English.
A sculpture memorial to these men, known as the Crochta memorial, was erected in the grounds of Kilmallock church. This memorial is by Clíodhna Cussen. It was unveiled on June 14th 1988 by Bishop Fiachra Ó Ceallaigh and was erected in a fairy fort-like structure. Also remembered on the memorial is Fr Maurice Mac Enraghty who was from Kilmallock. Fr Mac Enraghty was chaplain to the Earl of Desmond and was captured in September 1583. Mac Enraghty was imprisoned in Clonmel and in Easter 1585, Victor White, a prominent Catholic in Clonmel arranged with the jailer that Mac Enraghty could walk out of the prison.
However, the jailer went and told the authorities where they could seize the main Catholics in the area. The following morning soldiers entered the house of Victor White just as mass was about to be celebrated. Victor White was arrested but Fr Mac Enraghty escaped. White was told that he would be put to death unless he brought the priest to the authorities. When Fr Mac Enraghty heard this he returned to Clonmel and turned himself in. Under extreme pressure he refused to renounce his religion and was executed in Clonmel on April 30th, 1585.
A native of Ballingaddy, John J. Flanagan won three Olympic
Gold medals in the games of 1900, 1904 and 1908 in the Hammer for the USA.
At the 1900 Games in Paris, Flanagan threw 163 ft 1 ½ inches (49.73
metres) which was an Olympic record. The hammer is said to have almost hit
some spectators, such was the length of the throw. At the next Games in St
Louis, Flanagan won the Hammer again throwing 168 ft 0 ½ inches (51.23
metres), which was a new Olympic record. In 1908 in London he won his third
Gold medal in the Hammer throwing 170 ft 4 inches (51.92 metres), another
new Olympic record.
|English Name||Irish Name||Meaning|
|Abbeyfarm||Feirm na Mainistreach|
|Ardkilmartin||Ard Chill Mhártain||The high place of the church of Martin|
|Ardyoul||Ard Uí Áille||The high place of Ó hÁille|
|Ash Hill||Cnoc Cais||The hill of Cais|
|Ballycullane||Baile Uí Choileáin||The town of Ó Coileáin|
|Ballingaddy||Baile an Ghadaí||The town of the thief|
|Ballygibba North||Baile Ghiba||The town of Gibbon|
|Ballygibba South||as above|
|Ballygillane||Baile Uí Ghiolláin||The town of O Giolláin|
|Ballynahown||Baile na hAbhann||The town of the river|
|Ballynamoloogh||Baile na mBulbhach||The town of Na Bulbhaigh|
|Bawntard North||Na Bánta Arda||The high tracts of lea ground|
|Bawntard South||as above|
|Bressheen North||An Buirisín||The small burgage land|
|Bressheen South||as above|
|Coolroe||An Chúil Rua||The red corner|
|Deebert||An Díbeart||Meaning uncertain|
|Fairyfield Glebe||Gort an Fhraoigh||The field of the heather|
|Flemingstown||Baile na bPléimeannach||The town of Na Pléimeannaigh|
|Garrynoe||An Garraí Nua||The new garden|
|Glenfield||An Gleann||The glen|
|Gortboy||An Gort Bui||The yellow field|
|Grainganster||Gráig Anstair||The hamlet of Anstar|
|Kilmallock||Cill Mocheallóg||The church of Mocheallóg|
|Kilmihill||Cill Mhichíl||The church of Micheál|
|Knocksouna||Cnoc Samhna||The hill of Samhain|
|Millmount||Ard an Mhuilinn||The high place of the mill|
|Milltown||Baile an Mhuilinn||The town of the mill|
|Mountcoote||Ard Ó bhFaoláin||The high place of Uí Fhaoláin|
|Mount Fox||Móin an Bhoscaigh||The bogland of An Boscach|
|Portauns||Na Portáin||The small banks|
|Riversfield||Bóthar na bPotairí||The road of the Potters|
|Steales||Na Stialla||The stripes of land|
|Tankardstown||Baile Thancaird||The town of Tancard|
|Tankardstown North||as above|
|Tankardstown South||as above|
|Treanlewis||Trian Lobhaois||The third of Lobhaois|
|1704 - ?||Murtagh Moriarty|
|? - 1764||John O’Brien|
|1764 - 1778||John O’Mahony|
|1778 - 1786||Patrick Roche|
|1786 - 1808||John Fant|
|1808 - 1814||David Lee|
|1814 - 1837||Michael Murnane|
|1837||Michael Murnane||John Bunton|
|1838||Michael Murnane||John Braham (Adm.)|
|1839||John Braham||Michael Egan|
|1840||John Braham (Adm.)||Michael Egan|
|1841||Henry Fitzgibbon||Richard Scoot|
|1842||T. Downes D.D.||Richard Cooke|
|1843||T. Downes D.D.||Richard Cooke|
|1844||T. Downes D.D.||Richard Cooke|
|1845||T. Downes D.D.||Richard Cooke|
|1846||T. Downes D.D.||Richard Cooke|
|1847||T. Downes D.D.||Patrick Cherry|
|1848||T. Downes D.D.||Patrick Cherry|
|1849||T. Downes D.D.||Patrick Cherry|
|1850||T. Downes D.D.||Patrick Cherry|
|1851||T. Downes D.D.||Patrick Cherry|
|1852||T. Downes D.D.||Patrick Cherry|
|1853||T. Downes D.D.||Richard Clifford|
|1854||T. Downes D.D.||Richard Clifford|
|1855||T. Downes D.D.||Richard Clifford|
|1856||T. Downes D.D.||Richard Clifford|
|1857||T. Downes D.D.||Richard Clifford|
|1858||T. Downes D.D.||Richard Clifford|
|1859||T. Downes D.D.||C. McCarthy|
|1860||T. Downes D.D.||C. McCarthy|
|1861||T. Downes D.D.||C. McCarthy|
|1862||T. Downes D.D.||Thomas Fitzgerald|
|1863||T. Downes D.D.||Thomas Fitzgerald|
|1864||T. Downes D.D.||Thomas Fitzgerald|
|1865||T. Downes D.D.||Thomas Fitzgerald|
|1866||T. Downes D.D.||Thomas Fitzgerald|
|1867||T. Downes D.D.||Thomas Fitzgerald|
|1868||T. Downes D.D.||Thomas Fitzgerald|
|1869||T. Downes D.D.||John Carrick|
|1870||T. Downes D.D.||John Carrick|
|1871||T. Downes D.D.||John Carrick|
|1872||T. Downes D.D.||M. Graham|
|1873||T. Downes D.D.||M. Fitzgerald|
|1874||T. Downes D.D.||M. Fitzgerald|
|1875||T. Downes D.D.||M. Fitzgerald|
|1876||T. Downes D.D.||M. Fitzgerald|
|1877||T. Downes D.D.||M. Fitzgerald|
|1878||T. Downes D.D.||Daniel Ryan|
|1879||T. Downes D.D.||Daniel Ryan|
|1880||T. Downes D.D.||Eugene Sheehy|
|1881||T. Downes D.D.||Eugene Sheehy|
|1882||T. Downes D.D.||John Glesson|
|1883||T. Downes D.D.||Eugene Sheehy|
|1884||T. Downes D.D.||Eugene Sheehy|
|1885||T. Downes D.D.||John Hallinan|
|1886||T. Downes D.D.||John Hallinan|
|1887||T. Downes D.D.||John Hallinan|
|1888||T. Downes D.D.||John Hallinan|
|1889||T. Downes D.D.||Patrick Condon|
|1890||T. Downes D.D.||Patrick Condon|
|1891||Patrick Meehan D.D.||Patrick Condon|
|1892||Patrick Meehan D.D.||Patrick Condon|
|1893||Patrick Meehan D.D.||Patrick Condon|
|1894||Patrick Meehan D.D.||Patrick Condon|
|1895||Patrick Meehan D.D.||Patrick Condon|
|1896||Patrick Meehan D.D.||Patrick Condon|
|1897||Patrick Meehan D.D.||John O’Donnell|
|1898||Patrick Meehan D.D.||John O’Donnell|
|1899||Patrick Meehan D.D.||John O’Donnell|
|1900||Patrick Meehan D.D.||John O’Donnell|
|1901||Patrick Meehan D.D.||John O’Donnell|
|1902||Patrick Meehan D.D.||John O’Donnell|
|1903||Patrick Meehan D.D.||John O’Donnell|
|1904||Patrick Meehan D.D.||John O’Donnell|
|1905||James O’Shea||John O’Donnell|
|1906||James O’Shea||Timothy Riedy|
|1907||James O’Shea||Timothy Riedy|
|1908||James O’Shea||Timothy Riedy|
|1909||James O’Shea||Michael O’Carroll|
|1910||James O’Shea||Michael O’Carroll|
|1911||James O’Shea||Patrick V. Higgins|
|1912||James O’Shea||Patrick V. Higgins|
|1913||Canon James O’Shea||Patrick V. Higgins|
|1914||Canon James O’Shea||Patrick V. Higgins|
|1915||Canon James O’Shea||Patrick V. Higgins|
|1916||Canon James O’Shea||Patrick V. Higgins|
|1917||Canon James O’Shea||Patrick V. Higgins|
|1918||Canon James O’Shea||Patrick V. Higgins|
|1919||Canon James O’Shea||Patrick V. Higgins|
|1920||Canon James O’Shea||Patrick V. Higgins|
|1921||Archdeacon James O’Shea||C. Mangan|
|1922||Archdeacon James O’Shea||C. Mangan|
|1923||Archdeacon James O’Shea||C. Mangan|
|1924||Archdeacon James O’Shea||C. Mangan|
|1925||Archdeacon James O’Shea||Patrick Woulfe|
|D. Ua Briain D.D.|
|1926||Archdeacon James O’Shea||Patrick Woulfe|
|D. Ua Briain D.D.|
|1927||Archdeacon James O’Shea||D. Ua Briain D.D.|
|1928||Canon John Begley||D. Ua Briain D.D.|
|1929||Canon John Begley||D. Ua Briain D.D.|
|1930||Canon John Begley||D. Ua Briain D.D.|
|1931||Canon John Begley||Ed. Condon|
|1932||Canon John Begley||Ed. Condon|
|1933||Canon Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1934||Canon Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1935||Canon Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1936||Canon Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1937||Canon Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1938||Canon Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1939||Canon Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1940||Canon Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1941||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1942||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1943||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1944||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1945||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1946||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Ed. Condon|
|1947||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Michael Doody|
|1948||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Michael Doody|
|1949||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Michael Doody|
|1950||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Michael Doody|
|1951||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Michael Doody|
|1952||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Michael Doody|
|1953||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Michael Doody|
|1954||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Michael Doody|
|1955||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||Michael Doody|
|1956||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||David Crowley|
|1957||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||David Crowley|
|1958||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||David Crowley|
|1959||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||David Crowley|
|1960||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||David Crowley|
|1961||Dean Cornelius Mulcahy||David Crowley|
|1962||Canon James Cowper D.D.||David Crowley|
|1963||Canon James Cowper D.D.||David Crowley|
|1964||Canon James Cowper D.D.||David Crowley|
|1965||Canon James Cowper D.D.||David Crowley|
|1966||Canon James Cowper D.D.||David Crowley|
|1967||Canon James Cowper D.D.||David Crowley|
|1968||Canon James Cowper D.D.||Timothy Greene|
|1969||Canon James Cowper D.D.||Timothy Greene|
|1970||Canon James Cowper D.D.||Timothy Greene|
|1971||Canon James Cowper D.D.||Timothy Greene|
|1972||Canon James Cowper D.D.||Timothy Greene|
|1973||Canon James Cowper D.D.||Timothy Greene|
|1974||Canon James Cowper D.D.||Timothy Greene|
|1975||Canon James Cowper D.D.||Timothy Greene|
|1976||Canon Michael Minihan||Timothy Greene|
|1977||Canon Michael Minihan||Sean McCarthy|
|1978||Canon Michael Minihan||Sean McCarthy|
|1979||Canon Michael Minihan||Sean McCarthy|
|1980||Canon Michael Minihan||Sean McCarthy|
|1981||Canon Michael Minihan||Sean McCarthy|
|1982||Canon Michael Minihan||Sean McCarthy|
|1983||David Wall||Sean McCarthy|
|1984||David Wall||Ronald Costello|
|1985||Gerard Wall||Ronald Costello|
|1986||Gerard Wall||John Leonard|
|1987||Gerard Wall||John Leonard|
|1988||Gerard Wall||John Leonard|
|1989||Gerard Wall||John Leonard|
|1990||Canon Gerard Wall||John Leonard|
|1991||Canon Gerard Wall||Austin McNamara|
|1992||Canon Gerard Wall||Austin McNamara|
|1993||Canon Gerard Wall||Michael Hanley|
|1994||Canon Gerard Wall||Michael Hanley|
|1995||Canon Edward Looby||Michael Hanley|
|1996||Canon William Fitzmaurice||Michael Hanley|
|1997||Canon William Fitzmaurice||Michael Hanley|
|1998||Canon William Fitzmaurice||David Gibson|
|1999||Canon William Fitzmaurice||David Gibson|
|2000||Canon William Fitzmaurice||David Gibson|
|2001||Canon William Fitzmaurice||David Gibson|
|2002||Canon William Fitzmaurice||David Gibson|
|2003||Canon William Fitzmaurice||David Gibson|
|2004||Canon William Fitzmaurice||David Gibson|
|2005||Canon William Fitzmaurice||David Gibson|
|2006||Canon William Fitzmaurice||David Gibson|
|2007||Canon William Fitzmaurice||David Gibson|
History | Churches
| Graveyards | Holy Wells|
Grottoes | Famous People | Townlands
| Priests of the Parish
Diocese of Limerick
| Heritage Project | Index
| Search | Help
The list of Priests from 1704 to 1836 is compiled from information gained in Begley's History of the Diocese of Limerick Vol. III page 598. The remaining years are compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year. For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design