Kildimo village is located on the N69, from Limerick to Tralee. Pallaskenry village is located a little over a mile to the north of the main Limerick to Askeaton road. There are approximately 650 houses in the parish.
The parish of Kildimo/Pallaskenry is in the barony of Kenry. The present day parish is made up of what were once the parishes of Kildimo, Ardcanny and Chapelrussell. Chapelrussell parish was once called Killuragh, Killenalotar or Killulta.
The name Kildimo comes from the Irish Cill Díoma, meaning the church of St Díoma. The old people of the parish used to pronounce the name 'Kildeema'. According to Mainchín Seoige, St Díoma is said to have flourished in the second half of the 5th century. He was reputedly of royal stock, the son of Cas, king of Munster, and an uncle of St Munchin, patron of the diocese of Limerick. His feastday is May 12th.
Pallaskenry comes from the Irish Pailís Chaonraí meaning 'The Pallisaded Fortress of Kenry'. The Caonraí were a Celtic tribe who occupied this part of Limerick in the remote past, who gave their name to the barony of Kenry.
Kildimo village once centred on the area now known as Old Kildimo, about a mile south of the present day village. However, with the construction of the N69 from Limerick to Tralee the present day village, known as New Kildimo, began to rise up. New Kildimo used to be called 'The Line' after the road on which it grew up.
There are several castles in the area, including Cullam castle, Ballyculhane castle and Dromore castle. Dromore castle is unusual in that it was built late in the 19th century in the style of a fairytale castle.
There have been a few interesting finds in the area, including the Shannongrove Collar which was found at a depth of 12feet in a bog on lands granted to Phineas Bury during Cromwellian plantations. A bone crucifix was found around the 1950's at Dog's Island, the boggy ground between Dromore Lake and a very small lake east of it.
In 1922 the Salesians of Don Bosco bought land from George
Caulefield and set up an agricultural college. Along with the agricultural
college, there is also a secondary school in the college.
The present day parish church in Kildimo is located in the village. The inscription on the foundation stone of the church states that it was blessed and laid by Bishop Murphy on January 6th 1969, with John Godfrey, P.P. The church is dedicated to St Joseph.
The main altar of the church was donated by the O'Sullivan family, Ballynolan. There is a statue of Our Lady Help of Christians to the left of the altar. To the right of the altar is a statue of St Joseph. The accompanying plaques ask parishioners to pray for the Cahill family. There is a depiction of the crucifixion behind the altar.
The Stations of the Cross were taken from the old parish church.
The stained glass windows in the church were designed to incorporate windows
taken from the old church. Examples of this can be seen in the window at the
back of the church, as well as the depiction of St Agnes in the centre window
on the left-hand side of the church, and the depiction of St Brigid in the
centre window on the right hand side of the church.
Stained glass windows on either side of the altar depict the Good Shepherd on the left, and the Holy Family on the right.
There is a statue to Our Lady in the grounds of the church. Memorial plaques to Canon John Wallace, P.P. 1937-1953, and Canon David Fitzgerald, P.P. 1953-1963 are also in the churchyard.
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
John P. Godfrey
January 1963 - June 1977
Canon David Crowley
August 1977 - November 1998
The church in Pallaskenry is located in the centre of Pallaskenry village. It was built in 1863, and is dedicated to St Mary. To the left of the church is a grotto to our Lady. There are two statues in the church grounds, a statue of St Brigid on the left, and a statue of St Anne on the right. The Redemptorists erected a Mission cross in August 1877. Gerard O'Shea, Jim Nolan and the Ward brothers gave the site for the church in Pallaskenry. Mr. T. Sheehan who was the architect for the church donated the tabernacle.
The stained glass windows on the left include windows donated by Canon Wallace in 1945. The window at the top of the church of St James and St John was a gift from John Bourke, P.P.
The stained glass windows on the right hand side of the church also include gifts from John Bourke, P.P. (depictions of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Joseph), and Canon Wallace. Fr John Bourke was responsible for refurbishing the church.
The stained glass windows behind the altar depict a variety of scenes from the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and include St Joachim and St Anne. To the right of the altar, there is a statue depicting Mary and child. There is also a statue of St Patrick at the back of the church.
Buried within the church is:
Parish Priest for 27 years and 11 months
Died January 5th 1892
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Died 18th January 1907
Canon John O'Donnell
Parish Priest for 17 years
Died October 8th 1925
Parish Priest from January 13th 1892
Died July 1904
There is a church ruin in the townland of Mellon. This is the ruin of a Protestant church, which was built in 1738 on the site of what was once a Catholic Church known as Ardcanny church. The church ruin is quite large, and is mostly intact, although it is possible that part of the church has been rebuilt. Prayers are held here in November of each year. Ardcanny was once the parish name of this area. The name was derived from the Irish Árd Caithne, the height of the arbutus tree.
Killulta church is a remarkable building. This ruin, which is in excellent condition, probably dates from the 9th century. In his Topographical dictionary of Ireland, Lewis describes a church in the western extremity of the parish, the ruins of which were 12 feet long and 8 broad. Lewis mistakenly believed the church to have been built by the Knights Templars in 1290. However, others date the church to pre-1100. Some writers have dated this church 450-480AD, but its appearance does not support this claim. The area surrounding the church was once used as a burial ground, although no trace of this remains. In his local history of the area, Kenry, Mairtín Ó Corrbhuí wrote that a bronze pin, four inches long was found hereabout 1935. He also wrote that a bronze sword was found near a circle of stones west of the church about 1850. The present whereabouts of this sword are unknown. The name can be translated as Cill an Ultaigh, the church of the Ulsterman, or as Cill Ultain, the church of St Ultain.
The old parish church in Kildimo is situated in Old Kildimo. This church was sold when the new parish church was built, and is now in use by a private business.
According to Spellissy/O'Brien's The Rich Land at the time when Fr Connery was parish priest of the area, there was not only a church in old Kildimo, but also another Catholic Church at Whiteforge. However, we did not find a ruin of this church. Mairtín Ó Corrbuí lists this church as a mass house, although other sources describe it as a chapel. Rev Thomas Shanahan was the last parish priest to celebrate mass in Whiteforge, as in 1863, the year before his death, the present church in Pallaskenry was opened. The water font from the Whiteforge church was moved into the new church.
There was a church in the townland of Kildacolam, but all traces of this church have now disappeared. The townland is now known as Court townland, but a castle in the area still bears the name Kildacolum. This castle is believed to have been built by the Fitzgerald's in 1514.
Díoma himself may have founded the church of St Díoma, from which Kildimo derives its name, or it may have been erected after his time, in his honour, according to Mainchín Seoige. It was located in the old churchyard of Kildimo, although no trace of it remains.
The church of Chapelrussell was located half a mile east of Pallaskenry as early as 1418. No trace of this church remains now, although, the graveyard is still in use. Westropp says that a gold fibula was found near the site in 1834.
According to Westropp there was once a church in Kilmorine townland at the south-west angle of Kildimo parish, although the site is no longer known. There was also a church in the townland of Killashee, and again the site of this is no longer known.
Mairtín Ó Corrbuí also mentions townlands in the parish that derive their names from old church sites, although no trace of a ruin exists any longer. Kilmacat, Cill mo Cháit, the church of St Catherine, and Kilasuragh (now called Shannongrove), Cill na Siúrach, the nun's church, are both townlands in the parish today. However, no trace of a ruin exists in either townland.
As well as the mass house at Whiteforge, Ó Corrbuí
mentions a mass house in Dromore townland. He says that this mass house was
strange in that it was located so close to the mass house at Whiteforge.
Kildimo graveyard is located in Old Kildimo, near the site of the old parish church. This graveyard has been extended in recent years. Canon John Wallace, Parish Priest from 1937-1953, and Canon David Fitzgerald, Parish Priest 1953-1963 are buried in the old section of the graveyard.
The oldest headstone that we found was located against the
wall in the old section of the graveyard. It is in memory of Rev. Daniel O'Brien,
P.P., who died on July 31st 1777, aged 77 years. There is a grotto to Mary
in the new section of the graveyard.
Chapelrussell graveyard in Pallaskenry is situated approximately half a mile form the village of Pallaskenry, beside part of the Salesian College land. This graveyard is overgrown. The oldest headstone that we found here was in memory of Patrick Burns, who died on February 15th 1801, aged 27. Many of the headstones were quite worn, however, and were difficult to decipher.
There is a graveyard in the townland of Mellon, which surrounds the church ruin. Both Catholics and Protestants are buried in this graveyard. The oldest headstone that we found here was in memory of Denis Hogan, who died on February 6th 1739, aged 67. There are a couple of tombs in the graveyard that are still in use. An interesting headstone here is in memory of the Rev. Samuel Jones, who died on October 4th 1849, aged 79. According to Spellissy/O'Brien's The Rich Land, Rev. Samuel Jones founded a seminary in Kildimo soon after he was appointed Rector of Ardcanny to train parish clerks and school masters. Rev. Jones was in charge of the seminary from 1808 to 1817.
Mairtín Ó Corrbuí says that there was once a graveyard around the old church ruin of Killulta church. However, no trace of this graveyard remains today.
There was also reputed to have been a children's graveyard
in Coughlan's land, once part of the charter school, however, little is known
about this graveyard today.
St Brigid's well is located in the townland of Cartown, on land owned by the Kennedy's. The well is nicely kept. A wall encloses the well, and there is a stone covering over it. Statues to St Brigid have been placed beside the well. An inscription over one of the statues bears the date summer 1920. Rounds are still made at this well on February 1st. Danaher tells of several legends associated with the well. The water cannot boil. A woman cured of blindness saw a fish in the well. A man brought a blind horse to the well; the horse was cured and the man became blind. The water was drunk and applied to afflicted eyes and limbs.
Near St. Brigid's well lived a man called John Cleary. He
lived at the lodge at the entrance of Cartown House. He got rheumatic fever
but had great faith in St Brigid. John promised that if his life were spared,
he would do up the well. He recovered from the rheumatic fever and kept his
promise to renovate the well. John Cleary placed a statue of St Brigid at
the well and he also built a wall around the well.
When the Board of Works blasted the river Maigue to deepen the bed of the river, it affected the spring, lowering the water level in the well.
Danaher also mentions a well in the townland of Tobermurry
called Tobar Mhuire. This well was a slow spring surrounded by a wall of dry
stone. Crowds used to gather here on August 15th, although there are no longer
any devotions here. It was believed that a fish would be seen in the well
by those about to be cured, and that the water could not be boiled. Mairtín
Ó Corrbuí tells of a story related to this well which says that
on August 15th, Lady's Day, of one year, the priest failed to show up for
devotions at the well. The local people were so disgusted that they stayed
away from the well from then on.
|English Name||Irish Name||Meaning|
|Ardlahan||Ard Lacháin||Meaning uncertain|
|Ballyashea||Baile Uí Aisí||The town of Ó hAisí|
|Ballycasey||Baile Ó gCathasaigh||The town of Uí Chathasaigh|
|Ballyculhane||Baile Uí Chathláin||The town of Ó Cathláin|
|Ballydoole||Baile Uí Dhúill||The town of Ó Dúill|
|Ballynacarriga||Baile na Carraige||The town of the rock|
|Ballynahallee||Baile na hAilí||The town of the rocky place|
|Ballynolan||Baile Ó Niallaín||The town of Uí Nialláin|
|Ballyrune||Baile Riúin||The town of Riún|
|Ballyvareen||Baile Mhoirín||Meaning uncertain|
|Bolane||An Beolán||The small mouth|
|Carheeny||Na Caithríní||The small stone forts|
|Cartown||Baile an Chathraigh||The town of An Cathrach|
|Clooncaura||Cluain Chárthaigh||Carthy’s meadow|
|Cloongownagh||Cluain Gamhna||Meadow of the calves|
|Cloonnagalleen||Cluain Ó gCoilín||The meadow of Uí Choilín|
|Curraheen||An Curraichín||The small tract of wet land|
|Coolbeg||An Chúil Bheag||The small corner|
|Court||An Chúirt||The court|
|Cragganacree||Creagán na Craoibhe||The rocky place of the tree|
|Drommoher||Drom Aichir Mhór||The big ridge of Aichear|
|Faha||An Fhaiche||The green|
|Glennameade||Gleann na Míoch||The glen of Na Mígh|
|Kildimo||Cill Díoma||The church of Díoma|
|Kilmacat||Cill Mhic Ceit||The wood of Mac Ceit|
|Kilmareen||Cill Moirín||The church of Moirín|
|Knockroe||An Cnoc Rua||The red hill|
|Mellon||An Mullán||The hillock|
|Monanooag||Móin na nDubhóg||Unknown|
|Pallas||An Phailís||The palisade|
|Ringmoylan||Rinn Mhaoilín||The point of Maoilín|
|Shannongrove||Cill na Siúrach||The church of the sisters|
|Shanpallas||An tSeanphailís||The old palisade|
|Tonlegee||Tóin le Gaoith||Bottom land facing a stretch of water|
|Tobermurry||Tobar Muire||The well of the Virgin Mary|
|1704 - 1713||Cornelius Shenane|
|? -1737||Nicholas Molony|
|1737 - 1771||Daniel O’Brien|
|1771 - 1806||Darby Enright|
|1806 - 1817||Michael Copps|
|1817 - 1825||Edmund Connery|
|1825 - 1825||? Fitzgerald|
|1825 – 1836||Edmund Connery|
|1837||Edmund Connery||James O’Sullivan|
|1838||Edmond Connery||James O'Sullivan|
|1839||Thomas Shanahan||James O'Sullivan|
|1840||Thomas Shanahan||Patrick Cherry|
|1841||Thomas Shanahan||Patrick Cherry|
|1842||Thomas Shanahan||Thomas Tuohy|
|1843||Thomas Shanahan||Michael O’Farrell|
|1844||Thomas Shanahan||James Enright|
|1845||Thomas Shanahan||William Toumey|
|1846||Thomas Shanahan||William Toumey|
|1847||Thomas Shanahan||William Toumey|
|1848||Thomas Shanahan||William Toumey|
|1849||Thomas Shanahan||Patrick Lee|
|1850||Thomas Shanahan||James Lee|
|1851||Thomas Shanahan||Michael Maher|
|1852||Thomas Shanahan||Michael Maher|
|1853||Thomas Shanahan||Michael Maher|
|1854||Thomas Shanahan||Michael Maher|
|1855||Thomas Shanahan||Michael Maher|
|1856||Thomas Shanahan||Michael Maher|
|1857||Thomas Shanahan||Michael Maher|
|1858||Thomas Shanahan||Michael Maher|
|1859||Thomas Shanahan||William Connery|
|1860||Thomas Shanahan||William Connery|
|1861||Thomas Shanahan||William Connery|
|1862||Thomas Shanahan||William Connery|
|1863||Thomas Shanahan||William Connery|
|1864||Thomas Shanahan||William Connery|
|1865||John Bourke||Michael Maher|
|1866||John Bourke||Michael Maher|
|1867||John Bourke||Michael Maher|
|1868||John Bourke||Michael Maher|
|1869||John Bourke||Michael Maher|
|1870||John Bourke||Michael Maher|
|1871||John Bourke||Michael Maher|
|1872||John Bourke||Edward Clifford|
|1873||John Bourke||Edward Clifford|
|1874||John Bourke||Edward Clifford|
|1875||John Bourke||Edward Clifford|
|1876||John Bourke||Edward Clifford|
|1877||John Bourke||Denis Curtin|
|1878||John Bourke||Denis Curtin|
|1879||John Bourke||Denis Curtin|
|1880||John Bourke||Denis Curtin|
|1881||John Bourke||Denis Curtin|
|1882||John Bourke||Denis Curtin|
|1883||John Bourke||Denis Curtin|
|1884||John Bourke||Denis Curtin|
|1885||John Bourke||Daniel Curtin|
|1886||John Bourke||Daniel Curtin|
|1887||John Bourke||Daniel Curtin|
|1888||John Bourke||John Lee|
|1889||John Bourke||John Lee|
|1890||John Bourke||John Lee|
|1891||John Bourke||John Lee|
|1892||John Bourke||John Lee|
|1893||James Molony||Lawrence Curtin|
|1894||James Molony||Lawrence Curtin|
|1895||James Molony||Lawrence Curtin|
|1896||James Molony||Lawrence Curtin|
|1897||James Molony||Lawrence Curtin|
|1898||James Molony||Lawrence Curtin|
|1899||James Molony||Lawrence Curtin|
|1900||James Molony||Lawrence Curtin|
|1901||James Molony||Michael Mulcahy|
|1902||James Molony||Michael Mulcahy|
|1903||James Molony||Thomas Connolly|
|1904||James Molony||Thomas Connolly|
|1905||John Quinlan||Thomas Connolly|
|1906||John Quinlan||Thomas Connolly|
|1907||John Quinlan||Thomas Connolly|
|1908||Patrick Lee||Thomas Connolly|
|1909||John O’Donnell||Thomas Connolly|
|1910||John O’Donnell||Thomas Connolly|
|1911||John O’Donnell||Thomas Connolly|
|1912||John O’Donnell||Thomas Connolly|
|1913||John O’Donnell||Patrick Coleman|
|1914||John O’Donnell||Patrick Coleman|
|1915||John O’Donnell||James Liston|
|1916||John O’Donnell||James Liston|
|1917||John O’Donnell||James Liston|
|1918||John O’Donnell||James Liston|
|1919||John O’Donnell||James Liston|
|1920||John O’Donnell||James Liston|
|1921||John O’Donnell||James Liston|
|1922||John O’Donnell||James Liston|
|1923||John O’Donnell||James Liston|
|1924||John O’Donnell||James Liston|
|1925||Canon John O’Donnell||Stephen O’Dea|
|1926||Thomas Hogan||Stephen O’Dea|
|1927||Cornelius Mangan||Stephen O’Dea|
|1928||Cornelius Mangan||Stephen O’Dea|
|1929||Cornelius Mangan||Stephen O’Dea|
|1930||Cornelius Mangan||Stephen O’Dea|
|1931||Cornelius Mangan||Michael McCarthy|
|1932||Cornelius Mangan||Michael McCarthy|
|1933||Cornelius Mangan||Michael McCarthy|
|1934||Cornelius Mangan||Michael McCarthy|
|1935||Cornelius Mangan||Michael Quinlan|
|1936||Cornelius Mangan||Michael Quinlan|
|1937||Canon Cornelius Mangan||Michael Quinlan|
|1938||John Wallace||Michael Quinlan|
|1939||John Wallace||Michael Quinlan|
|1940||John Wallace||Daniel O’Callaghan|
|1941||John Wallace||Daniel O’Callaghan|
|1942||John Wallace||Daniel O’Callaghan|
|1943||John Wallace||Daniel O’Callaghan|
|1944||John Wallace||William McDonnell|
|1945||John Wallace||William McDonnell|
|1946||John Wallace||William McDonnell|
|1947||John Wallace||William McDonnell|
|1948||John Wallace||William McDonnell|
|1949||Canon John Wallace||Patrick G. Ryan|
|1950||Canon John Wallace||Patrick G. Ryan|
|1951||Canon John Wallace||Patrick G. Ryan|
|1952||Canon John Wallace||Patrick G. Ryan|
|1953||Canon John Wallace||Patrick G. Ryan|
|1954||David Fitzgerald||Maurice Crowley|
|1955||David Fitzgerald||Maurice Crowley|
|1956||David Fitzgerald||Maurice Crowley|
|1957||David Fitzgerald||Maurice Crowley|
|1958||David Fitzgerald||Maurice Crowley|
|1959||David Fitzgerald||Maurice Crowley|
|1960||David Fitzgerald||John Irwin|
|1961||David Fitzgerald||John Irwin|
|1962||Canon David Fitzgerald||John Irwin|
|1963||Canon David Fitzgerald||John Irwin|
|1964||John Godfrey||John Irwin|
|1965||John Godfrey||John Irwin|
|1966||John Godfrey||John Irwin|
|1967||John Godfrey||John Irwin|
|1968||John Godfrey||John Irwin|
|1969||John Godfrey||John Irwin|
|1970||John Godfrey||Thomas Crawford|
|1971||John Godfrey||Thomas Crawford|
|1972||John Godfrey||M. Costello|
|1974||John Godfrey||Donal McNamara|
|1975||John Godfrey||Donal McNamara|
|1976||John Godfrey||Donal McNamara|
|1977||John Godfrey||Donal McNamara|
|1978||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1979||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1980||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1981||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1982||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1983||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1984||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1985||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1986||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1987||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1988||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1989||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1990||David Crowley||Thomas Hurley|
|1991||David Crowley||Maurice Hurley|
|1992||Canon David Crowley||Jeremiah Brouder|
|1993||Canon David Crowley||Jeremiah Brouder|
|1994||Canon David Crowley||Jeremiah Brouder|
|1995||Canon David Crowley||Jeremiah Brouder|
|1996||Canon David Crowley||Jeremiah Brouder|
|1997||Canon David Crowley||Jeremiah Brouder|
|1998||Canon David Crowley||Jeremiah Brouder|
|2005||Donal McNamara||Joseph Harrington, S.B.D. (W/E Asst.)|
|2006||Donal McNamara||Joseph Harrington, S.B.D. (W/E Asst.)|
|2007||Donal McNamara||Joseph Harrington, S.B.D. (W/E Asst.)|
The list of Priests from 1704 to 1836 is compiled from information gained in Begley's History of the Diocese of Limerick Vol. III page 598. The remaining years are compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year. For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design