Fedamore is mainly in the barony of Small County, although part of it is in Clanwilliam. Fedamore village is located on the R511, with the river Commogue nearby. The population of the parish is approximately 1800.
Fedamore was the head of the union with the parishes of Ballycahane,
Manister, Nenagh and Kilpeacon. Manister became a separate parish in 1858.
Thomas Blake was the parish priest of the new parish. The name Fedamore comes
from Fiadh Damair, the wood of Damar. The parish used to be called
Fedamore and Friarstown. Fairs were held in Fedamore on May 5th and October
Castles were located at Ballyneguard (Rockstown), Williamstown, and Englishtown.
An article by Eamon P. Kelly and Tom Condit, entitled 'Limerick's Tara', was published in Archaeology Ireland in 1998. This article details a complex of prehistoric monuments located on a hill at Friarstown in Fedamore. This hill overlooks Friarstown abbey. The complex consists of two large hilltop enclosures, which the authors interpret as henges, a series of enclosures of various types, and standing stones. The area in which these henges may be found is enclosed, and is currently used for pasture.
There are also two standing stones located nearby. It is recorded
that beneath one of these stones, located in the field south of the larger
henge, human bones of 'extraordinary size' were uncovered early in the nineteenth
century. According to the locals these were the bones of a seven-foot man.
However, the identity of this man is a mystery, although local folklore claims
it was St Patrick.
Fr Timothy MacCarthy, P.P., built Fedamore church in 1830,
with his curate Fr O'Rourke. The large chapel in Fedamore cost about £700
at the time of building.
Outside, to the right hand side of the church is a statue to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. A statue of the Crucifixion faces out onto the road. A stone plaque states that the church is dedicated to the Beheading of St John the Baptist, and was partly renovated by G. Wall P.P. in 1980. The church in Fedamore was renovated by Fr O'Gorman in 1991. The original plaque, in Latin, is beside that, and states that T. MacCarthy, P.P. was responsible for building the church.
The impressive church ceiling dates from before the restoration of the church. To the left of the altar is a statue of Mary. A statue of the Sacred Heart is to the right hand side of the altar. A statue of St Joseph is in the aisle of the left transept, and in the right transept is a statue of the Little Flower.
A water font in the church bears the following inscription: Dr John Hanrahan got this made in 1756. Pray for him. This water font came from the pre-1830 parish church. Just outside the church is a cross from the old church.
Buried within the church are:
Died 5th February 1878
Died 18th July 1888
Fr Tom Blake
Died 14th October 1874
Fr Timothy McCarthy
Parish Priest of Fedamore and Manister
Died 9th February 1837
Buried in the grounds of the church are:
Canon R. O'Kennedy
Died 20th August 1893
According to Westropp, Fedamore church was listed in 1410 as dedicated to St John the Baptist. The Church of Ireland church was built in 1740 and demolished in 1956. All traces of this church are now gone.
Kilpeacon Church of Ireland church was built originally in
1690 by Sir W. King, who died in 1706, and whose ornate marble memorial was
re-inserted in the nave of the present church. The 1690 structure now forms
the nave of the present church. According to Westropp, Kilpeacon church was
listed in 1410 as dedicated to St Becan. However, this church was gone when
the new church was built in 1690. Mr Edward Villiers added a tower in 1759.
The church was re-built in 1762. It was repaired and enlarged in 1820, and
a new chancel was added in 1867, when the East Window, a memorial to the Westropp
family of Attyflin was inserted.
The remains of a large church are to be found in Rockstown graveyard. This church was probably associated with the nearby Rockstown castle. A plaque over the church door states that John Kelly erected the church in 1830. A stone plaque in the church wall reads: Here rests what remains of James Barry of Friarstown and his wife Anatisa 5th in descent of David Barry of same, 1655. Westropp mentions Rockstown church, but states that featureless fragments remained in 1840.
There was a church at Fanningstown called Temple Roe. No trace of this church remains, however, although the graveyard surrounding the site of the old church is currently being cleaned.
Westropp also refers to a church called Ballioweyn, of which
the site was unknown. There was a church that was attached to Kilpeacon called
Hackmys or Kilcoyn. No church ruins remain.
Friarstown Abbey is situated in a field through which the boundary of the parishes of Donaghmore/Knockea and Fedamore runs. The abbey is situated in the Knockea side of the parish. Clochnamanach abbey was repaired in 1932 and extensive ruins of the abbey remain. Clochnamanach is translated as Cloch na Manach, which means the stone of the Monks.
The original foundation dates from 13th century and the Clan-Gibbons family erected it for the Franciscan Third Order Regular. They were lay brothers and arrived in Friarstown around 1450. However, there is no real documentary proof as to how long the monks stayed in the abbey but it is believed that the abbey was vacant by 1550.
Mass was celebrated at the abbey by Bishop Donal Murray, with
concelebrants Fr Oliver Plunkett and Fr Michael Cussen, on May 17th 2000.
The present graveyard in Fedamore is located in the townland
of Fedamore. It is very well kept. This graveyard is full, however, and the
parish is currently looking for a new graveyard site.
The old Fedamore graveyard is also well kept. There are three tombs in the graveyard. The oldest legible inscription that we found in the graveyard was on one of these tombs. This inscription was in memory of John Keating "doctor in Physick" who died February 6th 1732, aged 25 and 9 months. Also remembered in this inscription were Catern and Honara, sisters who both died very young, being the children of Mr Keating of Fanningstown.
A headstone of note that we found in the graveyard was in memory of William P.Clifford who died February 16th 1949 aged 73 years. William Clifford was President of the GAA from 1926-1928.
The Fanningstown graveyard is located on the site of the Fanningstown church. No trace of this church remains, however, although the empty space in the far right corner of the graveyard would suggest that the church might have been situated there.
The graveyard is currently being done up by FÁS workers. Many of the headstones have also been cleaned. The oldest headstone in the graveyard is in memory of Michael Keane, who died June 22nd 1768, aged 33.
Rockstown graveyard is located beside the ruins of Rockstown church. The site is near Rockstown castle. The oldest headstone that we found in the graveyard was in memory of Michael John Barry who died December 10th 1814, aged 72.
Catholics are also buried in Kilpeacon graveyard, the graveyard
attached to the Church of Ireland church. The oldest headstone that we came
across, which we believe to be Catholic, was in memory of Johanna Seahanan,
who died 16th November 1809.
St Patrick's Well is located in Kilpeacon. A spring flows in an open field. Devotions have ceased. Access to this well is difficult, and without the help of Mike Ryan, native of the parish who last visited the well in 1952, we could not have located it. Legend says that pilgrims saw the figure of St Patrick in the well.
Danaher refers to St John's Well in Fedamore, which has disappeared,
although its spring apparently now supplies a pump. The original well was
reputedly located in the graveyard of the old Protestant church in Fedamore.
According to locals there was a mass rock at Rockstown, however, it is now inaccessible. People no longer visit the site of the mass rock. The mass rock in Fedamore was situated in a hollow below Rockstown Castle, and was hidden from view of the castle.
|English Name||Irish Name||Meaning|
|Arywee||Airí Bhuí||Yellow milking place|
|Badgerfort||Lios na mBroc||The enclosure of the badgers|
|Ballyea||Baile Uí Aodha||The town of Ó hAodha|
|Ballynagarde||Baile na gCeárd||The town of the craftsmen|
|Ballyregan||Baile Uí Riagáin||The town of Ó Riagáin|
|Bawnacouma||Bán an Champa||The lea-ground of the camp|
|Boolavoord||Buaile an Bhoird||The booley of the border|
|Carnane||An Carnán||The small heap|
|Castlequarter||Ceathrú an Chaisleáin||The quarterland of the castle|
|Cloghadoolarty North||Cloch an Dullartaigh||The stone structure of An Dullartach|
|Cloghadoolarty South||as above|
|Drominycarra||Dromainn an Chathraigh||The ridge of An Cathrach|
|Enaghroe||An tAonach Rua||The red place of assembly|
|Fanningstown||Baile an Fhainínigh||The town of An Fainíneach|
|Fedamore||Feadamair||The wood of Damar|
|Friarstown North||Baile na mBráthar||The town of the friars|
|Friarstown South||as above|
|Garryellen||Garraí Eibhlín||The garden of Eibhlín|
|Glenogra||Gleann Fhógra||Glen of the Proclamation|
|Gortgarralt||Gort Ghearailt||The field of Gearalt|
|Grange||An Ghráinseach||The grange|
|Kilcaskin||Cill Cháiscín||The church of Cáiscín|
|Kildeery||Cill Doire||Church of the oakwood|
|Kilpeacon||Cill Pheacáin||The church of Peacán|
|Loughanstown||Baile an Locháin||The town of the small lake|
|Moanmore||An Mhóin Mhór||The big bogland|
|Newtown||An Baile Nua||The new town|
|Poultalloon||An Poll Talún||The hole in the ground|
|Powerfield||Páirc an Phaoraigh|
|Rockfield||Páirc na Carraige||The field of the rock|
|Rockstown||Baile na Carraige||The town of the rock|
|Skehanagh||An Sceachánach||The place of the hawthorns|
|Skoolhill||Cnoc an Sciúil||The hill of Sciúl|
|Williamstown||Baile Liam||The town of Liam|
|1704 - ?||Daniel Hourigan|
|? - 1739||Francis Nolan|
|1739 - 1774||John Hanrahan D.D.|
|1774 - 1814||Andrew Ryan|
|1814 - 1814||David Lee|
|1814 – 1836||Timothy MacCarthy|
|1837||Timothy McCarthy||Michael McCormick|
|1838||James O'Regan||Michael McCormick|
|James O'Rourke *|
|1839||Edmund Connery||Tim Shanahan|
|1840||Edmund Connery||Tim Shanahan|
|1841||Edmund Connery||James O’Flanagan|
|1842||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1843||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1844||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1845||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1846||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1847||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1848||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1849||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1850||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1851||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1852||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1853||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1854||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1855||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1856||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1857||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormack|
|1858||Edmund Connery||Michael McCormick|
|1862||Thomas Blake||Thomas Tuomy|
|1864||Thomas Blake||Joseph Ryan|
|1866||Thomas Blake||? Glesson|
|1867||Thomas Blake||Stephen Danaher|
|1868||Thomas Blake||James Molony|
|1869||T. Fitzgerald (Adm.)|
|1870||T. Fitzgerald (Adm.)|
|1871||T. Fitzgerald (Adm.)|
|1872||T. Fitzgerald (Adm.)|
|1873||T. Fitzgerald (Adm.)||Michael Byrne|
|1874||T. Fitzgerald (Adm.)||John Hallinan|
|1875||T. Fitzgerald||John Hallinan|
|1876||T. Fitzgerald||John Hallinan|
|1877||David Quinn||Denis O’Keeffe|
|1878||David Quinn||Solomon Frost|
|1879||David Quinn||Solomon Frost|
|1880||David Quinn||Solomon Frost|
|1881||David Quinn||Solomon Frost|
|1882||David Quinn||Solomon Frost|
|1883||Cornelius Kenny||Patrick Kenrick|
|1884||Cornelius Kenny||M. McCoy|
|1885||Cornelius Kenny||M. McCoy|
|1886||Cornelius Kenny||M. McCoy|
|1887||Cornelius Kenny||M. McCoy|
|1888||Cornelius Kenny||M. O’Donnell|
|1889||Cornelius Kenny||William O’Shea|
|1890||Cornelius Kenny||Michael Mulcahy|
|1891||Cornelius Kenny||Jeremiah Ambrose|
|1892||Cornelius Kenny||William Fenton|
|1893||Cornelius Kenny||William Fenton|
|1894||Richard O’Kennedy||William Fenton|
|1895||Richard O’Kennedy||William Fenton|
|1896||Richard O’Kennedy||C. Mangan|
|1897||Richard O’Kennedy||C. Mangan|
|1898||Richard O’Kennedy||C. Mangan|
|1899||Richard O’Kennedy||C. Mangan|
|1900||Richard O’Kennedy||C. Mangan|
|1901||Richard O’Kennedy||Thomas Connolly|
|1902||Richard O’Kennedy||James Carroll|
|1903||Richard O’Kennedy||James Carroll|
|1904||Richard O’Kennedy||James Carroll|
|1906||Richard O’Kennedy||Timothy Murphy|
|1907||Richard O’Kennedy||Timothy Murphy|
|1908||Richard O’Kennedy||Timothy Murphy|
|1909||Richard O’Kennedy||Timothy Murphy|
|1910||Richard O’Kennedy||John J. Lane|
|1911||Richard O’Kennedy||John J. Lane|
|1912||Richard O’Kennedy||Patrick Ryan|
|1913||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||Patrick Ryan|
|1914||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||Patrick Ryan|
|1915||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||Michael Leahy|
|1916||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||Michael Leahy|
|1917||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||Michael Leahy|
|1918||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||Maurice Fitzpatrick|
|1919||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||Maurice Fitzpatrick|
|1920||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||Joseph Carroll|
|1921||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||William J. Carroll|
|1922||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||Denis O’Donnell|
|1923||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||Denis O’Donnell|
|1924||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||Denis O’Donnell|
|1925||Canon Richard O’Kennedy||J. O’Regan|
|1929||John Rea||Patrick Coleman|
|1930||John Rea||James Lyons|
|1931||Stephen O’Dea||James Lyons|
|1932||Stephen O’Dea||James Lyons|
|1933||Stephen O’Dea||James Lyons|
|1934||Stephen O’Dea||Phil Enright|
|1935||Stephen O’Dea||Thomas Kirby|
|1936||Stephen O’Dea||Thomas Kirby|
|1937||James Moloney||Thomas Kirby|
|1938||James Moloney||Thomas Kirby|
|1939||James Molony||William O’Connell|
|1940||James Molony||Maurice Crowley|
|1941||James Molony||Maurice Crowley|
|1942||James Molony||Maurice Crowley|
|1943||James Molony||Maurice Crowley|
|1946||James Molony||Timothy Culhane|
|1947||James Molony||Gerard Wall|
|1948||James Molony||Gerard Wall|
The list of Priests from 1704 to 1836 is compiled from information gained in Begley's History of the Diocese of Limerick Vol. III page 598. The remaining years are compiled from the Catholic Directories. Information contained in a directory of any given year refers to what happened the previous year. For example if a priest is recorded in the 1954 directory as being in a particular parish, this would mean that he was actually there in 1953.
Website by Lúnasa Design